Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a small business

Email problem
    Thanks

Buying a small business

Hi, I am really confused as to whether I should buy an existing small business as a 'going concern' or a 'sole prop'. I don't want to be caught out having to pay any outstanding debt. The seller owes his father money which was put into the business. Will i not be liable to pay the father if I buy the business as a 'going concern'?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    There are a few things to consider.

1. I assume when you say buying a business as a "going concern" you mean a "cc\pty"?
    2. You can register your own pty and sign new contracts\agreements with suppliers\landlord etc... (depending on what type of business it is)
    3. Always a good thing is to get a tax clearance certificate for the business

4. Most importantly is to ensure you use a good lawyer to draw up a proper sale of agreement document which covers for these types of risks.

Hope this helps a little.

3. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (20-Mar-12), tec0 (12-Jun-12)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Thanks, that does help a bit. The business is a CC and is a franchise. I would be taking over the equipment and clientel. I would be providing a service to people who would sign contracts using debit orders. Can a Sole Prop have 2 partners in it? Which way would be better in the long run.....'going concern' or change to 'trading as.....sole prop' Hope I'm explining myself properly

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabby View Post
    Can a Sole Prop have 2 partners in it?
    No - that would be a partnership. A sole proprietor has only one "partner".

The business is a CC and is a franchise.
    Strictly speaking the business is owned in a CC. What you want to do is buy the business, and not buy the CC. This is how you can make sure you don't accrue any surprise debts.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Please excuse my ignorance in these business issues but can you perhaps elaborate on how one goes about buying the business and not the CC. I really appreciate your expertise.

Thanks
    The existing business will be 'Bill Bloggs cc' T/A 'The Sewing Circle'
    you will buy the 'The Sewing Circle' franchise from 'Bill Bloggs cc' as a going concern in the name of 'Tabbys Trading cc' and will trade as 'Tabbys Trading cc T/A 'The Sewing Circle'
    Any debt will remain in 'Bill Bloggs cc' whose member is not you and all the clients and good will will reside in the franchise 'The Sewing Circle'.

Do not take over any bank accounts or sureties that belong to 'Bill Bloggs cc' open your own at a different bank, old accounts and surities have a habit of jumping up and biting you months later.

does that help?
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

8. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (20-Mar-12)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Thank you so much, Wynn. Really appreciate your answer. Yes, you have helped me.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Tabby, again I cannot stress enough how important it is to get a proper sale agreement drawn up by a lawyer. This is irrespective of which method you chose to buy the business.

What is very important to note since you say clients pay by debit order and have contracts is the existing clients!!! If you only buy the business and not the cc (which also means new bank accounts etc...) you have to ensure that all the existing clients debits and contracts get transferred to your new entity!!!

Hence a good contract can protect you in this regard, where you basically would be entitled to all the existing clients as well as take over all risk and reward of the business.

Rather spend the extra and be safe than sorry! I have seen this before where people buy businesses and the credit card machines as example are still linked to the old owners accounts for some time.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Considering the following, is it wise for me to own the business under Sole Proprietorship, if the business I want to buy is an existing franchised gym where clients have signed up pre-paid and debit order contracts, and the premises are on lease? My concern is in the event that I pass away, what will happen to the business? RE: the liability to the clients and the lease on the premises?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    is it wise for me to own the business under Sole Proprietorship
    Probably not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast