What has been your experience with Telkom adsl lately ?

Well..............mine not too good !

Since about August last year, I started to experience slow connection speeds and took this up with my ISP and Telkom. Well as you can imagine, the one blamed the other for the problem. I then moved the adsl line over to the ISP and then took them to task on this issue.
The long and the short is/was that the "exchange is overloaded" and nothing to be done about it.
I had a 384 line that sometimes connects to as low as 4 kb/s which is of cause unworkable. Very frequently the speedtest.net would not even load.........a 800 Kb file takes +- 40 minutes to download. In all the time I had the adsl line, I never came close to the advertised speed of 384 ! ( Is there a case here for misrepresentation ? )

The suggestion from the ISP was to "upgrade to a 1 Meg line" which "should help a bit". Ja well no fine.......if you calculate this out I can then expect about a 12 kb/s connection.

The result of this whole scenario was that I cancelled my ISP, adsl and for that matter my phone line as well and moved over to a local Wi Fi ISP which now gives me without fail a 460 to 550 download and a 260 to 400 upload speed These guys do not make use of Telkom lines at all ! Towers all the way to PTA.

And all this for a lower cost than the adsl route !