Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Debt: How to claim prescription in practice and how to enter a special plea

Thanks
    Section 126(B) of the National Credit Act is in effect, it applies retrospectively from 13 march 2015

[S. 126B inserted by s. 31 of Act 19/2014 w.e.f. 13 March 2015]
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Hi Vanash, I stumbled over your thread here and need some advice. I have had no dealings Nedbank since 2008. In January 2016 I opened a new account with them and was abruptly and with out warning debit over R8000 for an account that they claim I overdrew. At first they agreed to pay the money back. Then I was told to send them an email, which I did, claiming prescription and refusing to acknowledge any debt without proof, Nedbank then claimed that I agreed to a debit order for which I again asked for proof of, instead of sending proof they called me and informed me that they would not be paying anything back unless I signed a debit order. I get the sneaky suspicion that they are trying to force a prescription into lapsing. What recourse do I have?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DDVILJOEN View Post
    Hi Vanash, I stumbled over your thread here and need some advice. I have had no dealings Nedbank since 2008. In January 2016 I opened a new account with them and was abruptly and with out warning debit over R8000 for an account that they claim I overdrew. At first they agreed to pay the money back. Then I was told to send them an email, which I did, claiming prescription and refusing to acknowledge any debt without proof, Nedbank then claimed that I agreed to a debit order for which I again asked for proof of, instead of sending proof they called me and informed me that they would not be paying anything back unless I signed a debit order. I get the sneaky suspicion that they are trying to force a prescription into lapsing. What recourse do I have?
    Hi DD Viljoen,

Off the cuff and in my opinion, regarding the first account[the one that the bank abandoned in 2008] according to current NCA provisions, the bank was to have regarded the debt as prescribed and not reactivate the prescribed debt(Section 126 B). That said, regarding your opening of a new account, this was a complete separate transaction, a different account. A bank shouldn’t, especially when it is a prescribed debt, take money unilaterally without your knowledge, consent, approval[this debit came as a surprise to you I presume]. In any event if a Bank argues that a unilateral debit is to be regarded as a payment by a debtor, then this is a simulated transaction as it was not made by the debtor himself/herself, in fact it was taken by the bank. I think that the bank ought to give you back that money.[Remember to ensure that all the elements/requirement of prescription apply]
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Yes the debit came as a complete surprise and after initially agreeing to pay it back the bank is now holding on to the funds until I agree to enter into a debit order agreement with them. I refuse to let them force a lapse in the prescription! After I asked them to provide me with proof of where I acknowledged the alledged debt or agreed to make a payment of any kind I was contacted by a debt collecter who sent me a breakdown of a bill but still with out proof of any alledged agreement. I am sorely tempted of laying a charge of blackmail against the bank.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DDVILJOEN View Post
    Yes the debit came as a complete surprise and after initially agreeing to pay it back the bank is now holding on to the funds until I agree to enter into a debit order agreement with them. I refuse to let them force a lapse in the prescription! After I asked them to provide me with proof of where I acknowledged the alledged debt or agreed to make a payment of any kind I was contacted by a debt collecter who sent me a breakdown of a bill but still with out proof of any alledged agreement. I am sorely tempted of laying a charge of blackmail against the bank.
    Good morning DDViljoen,

Indeed, unilateral payments(according to case law), can never be seen as 'payment,' in terms of the prescription Act. That said, should you require my personal intervention, please send me a private message
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    If you have received a summons for a prescribed debt, I can assist. Send me an email at vnaik@thenaikgroup.co.za
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910