Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I hate rules, but...

Email problem RKS Computer Solutions's Avatar
    Thanks
    file size is 6.6kb, being a transparent png and all... looks a tad cramped though, how about 250x70? Photoshop likes that....

Thanks
    Just wanted to weigh in on this in a more general sense....

The way I think of the signatures is like a business card, or mentioning your business to some over a meal etc. You would only really give some brief details about what you do, unless you're asked specifically. Then you can go for it. Your business card also doesn't tend to have a list of your current products (unless you only sell one or two things), else you'd be changing it every week. It gives relevant general info.

I think in general there are probably just a few guidelines that need to be in place, rather than rules. Be reasonable with image size (some people are on dial–up), use relevant general links (and allow people to ask if they want more info), keep links to a minimum, and allow the conversation to dominate, not your signature (it is a business card, not a billboard — if you want a billboard then buy some advertising space from Dave).

If you do happen to find that someone's signature is irritating you, or you feel it is out of line, then just PM one of the admins and let them address it.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Dave, any of your planned mods available for uploading of VCF files so that interested members and the public can download them? Have been seeing quite a lot of visitors...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RKS Computer Solutions View Post
    Dave, any of your planned mods available for uploading of VCF files so that interested members and the public can download them? Have been seeing quite a lot of visitors...
    I'm a bit confused...why? Would it not be better to just put contact info on your website? Also, quite a bit of info can be added by using the User CP
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Have you looked at the front page during the day and seen how many visitors there are? Contact info is off course on the site, but it makes it quickly accessible to the public visiting the forum....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RKS Computer Solutions View Post
    A click-to-download icon in the postbit (member info area in the post) maybe?
    An interesting idea. Technically not much of a challenge making it available - but can we take comments for and against.

For the record - the members profile list is not set as viewable to the public at the moment. It was getting hammered by bots...

Silver Member
    Thanks
    RKS your logo is very acceptable as it stands now. Nice size and to be honest it draws my attention more then the bigger version.
    Wellinformed.co.za - Networking Forums SA partner site. Let's support each other for a better South Africa.

Thanks

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    A click-to-download icon in the postbit (member info area in the post) maybe?
    An interesting idea. Technically not much of a challenge making it available - but can we take comments for and against.

For the record - the members profile list is not set as viewable to the public at the moment. It was getting hammered by bots...
    Cool... Here's the way I see it... Duncan has posted about being able to add information via the User CP... The vCard option there allows for the download of the user name and an email address...

My vCard, (attached to this post, in ZIP format), has the following information:

Company name -- My Name -- Phone nr -- Fax nr -- Email -- Website -- Company Slogan -- Company logo

That is a load more info than just a user name on the forum and an email addy as contact....

Thanks for the comment Snoopy!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Centurion (behind the Boerewors curtain), Pretoria.
    Thanks

Question Keep it simple by design rather than rules

As Duncan has said a little previously in this conversation - a signature is like a business card... But we also need to remember that a business card is also a marketing tool. Having contributors able to market themselves a little bit gets them coming back and contributing more great stuff.

(And, Duncan, you really need to tell all of us a little bit more about your consulting work and what makes you special, in your signature - even a sentence...)

So, another 2c to toss into the fountain of ideas here...

Keep it very loose about what people can put in their signatures and let members have their freedom of expression. Basically keep the limitations that are made, based on technical considerations (no huge graphics & file sizes - this is a free forum and we are not paying for the space, so we should be mindful of abusing the priveledge of using this space.)

Cheers
    A

Ps. More about this model of forum and at least covering the costs (not just through marketing) in a new thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Williams View Post
    Ps. More about this model of forum and at least covering the costs (not just through marketing) in a new thread.
    Something that's coming or did I miss something, Ann?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast