Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New commerce site

Diamond Member
    Thanks

New commerce site

I need to rework one of my sites and hope you can help me. My needs are straight forward, items will be sorted into categories and sub categories. Each item could have various sizes, colors and be made from various materials. The issue is that the final price is looked up based on Product code, size and material. I suppose the Size and Material fields could be multipliers rather create lookups.

Any thoughts on which tool to use.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Eish - that's not going to be an easy setup using any system. I know that it can be done using Virtuemart - it's not straightforward though.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I can set it up in OsCommerce but it has to be done as follows:

This has to be done for each product

Product price
    size 1 +Rvalue
    size 2 +Rvalue
    size 3 +Rvalue
    material 1 +Rvalue
    material 2 +Rvalue
    material 3 +Rvalue

The thing is that I have 100 products that have the same Size and Material pricing attributes. If I were to change my pricing structure I would have to revise each option in in product.

What I need is for the options to be defined seperately from the products and then to be associated with each product.

Size Option 1
    opt 1 xRvalue
    opt 2 xRvalue
    opt 3 xRvalue

Material Option 1
    opt 1 xRvalue
    opt 2 xRvalue
    opt 3 xRvalue

I now need to be able to associate
    Product 1
    Size Option 1
    Material Option 1

Product 2
    Size Option 1
    Material Option 1

I can't think that this should be too difficult to do. Imagine a company that sell bolts and nuts

Standard products would be say "hex machine screw" and multiplier options would be "length" and "material". There would be no sense in setting the prices up as a matrix.

Thanks
    Drupal Ubercart works like this. I would use that because a) I'm familiar with it and b) it does what's needed in this case.

However, installing Drupal & Ubercart to work well is not easy if you do it separately. Instead, I recommend you use the following install profile. It will make your life SOOOO much easier: http://drupal.org/project/uberdrupal

This if Drupal 6 by the way. It's very stable but it's not the latest version of Drupal. That would be the 7.x branch but you can upgrade later.

If you like, I can set this up for you and run it on my e-commerce hosting for R499pm. That includes the initial set up and loading of all your products and options.

(The R499pm covers the initial set up - so there's no setup fees but, if you cancel, you don't get to take the installation with you but you do, of course, keep your data such as products, images, etc. This is to stop folk from signing up, getting all the free stuff, and then buggering off. So you basically "licence" the use of the Drupal installation we set up for you.)
    Norio De Sousa - Just1.co.za (Cheap web hosting & website builder)
    Maxiware CC Reg no. 2000/048244/23 (Maxiware CC)

Thanks
    Oh and there's no contracts - if it doesn't work for you, you lose just R499 but, like I said, you don't get the code + database if you cancel.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    hmmm...I currently do my own hosting in the US for $7 per month. I run 4 of my own sites on Joomla and OsCommerce. It's just very time consuming to set this up on OsC. I did some research into ZenCart and it can do what I need. I'm going to install ZenC in parallel on one of my Osc sites and see how it works out.

Thanks
    If you know what you're doing, then my e-Commerce hosting won't help you. It's for people who don't know where to begin and don't want to faff with the technical stuff.

However, if you'd like to have me set up the basics for you, let me know and we can work out a fee just for the installation + setup. PM me or email me

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I've installed Zen-Cart and also OpenCart. None of them are able to do exactly what I need. Damn, now to figure out how to code in PHP and change OpenCart to do what I need. It doesn't seem too difficult consindering all the time I spent coding in Delphi...Its just another mind_f.....to get the feel for it..

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    I've installed Zen-Cart and also OpenCart. None of them are able to do exactly what I need. Damn, now to figure out how to code in PHP and change OpenCart to do what I need. It doesn't seem too difficult consindering all the time I spent coding in Delphi...Its just another mind_f.....to get the feel for it..
    You might be better off just paying a freelancer at elance.com to do it for you.

The time you're going to spend wrapping your head around PHP and how OpenCart uses it will likely be way above the monetary spend involved in hiring a freelancer.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Hmmm...You know, if I had the feature that I need then I would be able to cut the number of data points down from 22 x (127 now could go up exponentially) to 22 + (127 now could go up exponentially) the reason is that each item has 22 options but those options are the same for all items. I'm doing it by catagorizing the data and then creating a data matrix in Excel to be upoaded into openCart. Of course that also comes with its own set of issues.

PHP is just one part of the problem, the other is to determine all the points in OpenCart that need to be modified..I'd hate to miss the billing bit :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast