Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: home security

Suspended
    Thanks

home security

how effective are armed response companies?

do they really offer you a solutions to the ever increasing crime?

is 20 minutes a suitable response time?

do you believe that armed response companies could be more effective or do you you think they just offer enough to make you think you getting a good deal? considering...no crime...no need for armed response.

do you believe receiving an sms notifying you on crimes in the area are effective?

do you believe neighbourhood watch works?

do you actively get involved in neighbourhood watch...or do you leave it up to everyone else to make your community a safer place?

what would you regard as effective measures to be taken...to make you home a safer place to live...

be it for you and your family to enjoy time out at home...

entering and leaving your premises...

or just general safety...

do you think we even have a crime problem in this country?

do you believe the topic is just a waste of time and when people in conversation bring it up... do you switch off and walk away becuase it doesnt affect you...and until it does...couldnt be bothered with it..because you live in fort knox and feel safe or believe it will never happen to you...

or have been affected by it but just keep putting up more beams...higher fences...cameras...and bigger dogs?

Suspended
    Thanks
    had the pleasure of seeing our elite SAPS in operation...apparently there was a house breaking in progress...they arrived at the site where i was working in their numbers...armed with 9mm and what looked like R5...stage 1 and ready for action...only problem they entered the wrong property...it turns out it was just a domestic violence incident...some chick throwing her toys at everyone...was good to see they do still respond when crimes take place.

i learnt something from the ordeal...just act like you are busy doing something and nobody bothers you...they just run past

Suspended
    Thanks
    Ok seen as I am in the security industry I have decidedto give my input/opinion.

how effective are armed response companies? -
    They are effective up to a point, we would be worse off without them, so they do serve their purpose.

do they really offer you a solutions to the ever increasing crime?
    Not a solution no, but they help to stem the tide. You have to continuously keep ahead of them with up to date technology.

is 20 minutes a suitable response time?
    No – it should be around 5-10 min if they have a car in the area, which they should do.

do you believe that armed response companies could be more effective or do youyou think they just offer enough to make you think you getting a good deal?considering...no crime...no need for armed response. –
    They should concentrate more on customer service than trying to get their numbers up with the goal of selling their company and clients to a big armed response company.

do you believe receiving an sms notifying you on crimes in the area areeffective?
    Yes it makes you aware

do you believe neighbourhood watch works? –
    Yes, but like all community based activities, it becomes increasingly difficult to get the neighbourhood to keep the interest up.

do you actively get involved in neighbourhood watch...or do you leave it up toeveryone else to make your community a safer place?
    Yes I am involved and I believe everyone should get involved and not always think that it is someone else’s job to sort problems out and do things in the community.

what would you regard as effective measures to be taken...to make you home asafer place to live...
    – install electric fencing ..... properly. This is the most important aspect of home security. If it is installed correctly then you are on your way to being more secure. I have not had an house broken into in the last 7/8 years where I have installed electric fencing.

be it for you and your family to enjoy time out at home...
    – make you home secure with electric fencing

entering and leaving your premises...-
    make sure you have an automated gate, so that you do not need to get out of the car when leaving or coming home.

or just general safety...
    – as above

do you think we even have a crime problem in this country?
    – yes we do but i do believe we are getting it under control. Please also believe that SA is not the only country that has crime. I have just been to Europe and crime is also rife there.

do you believe the topic is just a waste of time and when people inconversation bring it up... do you switch off and walk away becuase it doesnt affect you...and until it does...couldnt be bothered with it..because you livein fort knox and feel safe or believe it will never happen to you...
    – No you must take an interest.

or have been affected by it but just keep putting up more beams...higherfences...cameras...and bigger dogs?
    I have been affected by it, but you cannot let it get you down. You have to take the neccessary precautions and be aware when at home – keep your security gates locked – be aware who is in the road when leaving your house – be aware when driving and stopping at robots and stop streets.
    Last edited by Dave A; 27-Feb-12 at 11:32 AM.

4. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (27-Feb-12)

Suspended
    Thanks
    Sorry it seems some of my spelling is not up to scratch above and words are joined - I copy pasted it from word so obviously something didnt like something.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb View Post
    so obviously something didnt like something.
    I regret it's the CK editor - it can be a little... odd at times.

Thanks
    Okay, those security guards that walk around with a baton are just a waste of time! Certain legislation needs to be amended to allow security companies to have armoured and bullet proof windows, currently the law says it a threat to national security for any vehicle to be armoured and have bullet proof windows. The criminals we deal with are heavily armed, our security also need to be heavily armed. Pistols don't deter a heavily armed gang of 10 characters!
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Vanash,
    You should go to The Glen, yesterday at the parking entrance there was a guard with rifle! That is scary!
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Ian, it's just that we living in fear and under siege here in Lenasia, just last week there was an armed robbery in my neighbour's street. Both our malls, Trade Route Mall and Signet terrace had violent armed robberies. People i.e shopkeepers got shot and killed in the cross fire. Last year while I was at gym, several heavily armed men tried to not only rob a house but also hijacted all these people's cars. Armed response came promptly and a shootout ensued. The owner of that security company was shot dead whilst still in his vehicle. I think that if he had an armoured vehicle and his security personnel were heavily armed they could have taken on these criminals. The police arrived after the fact and recovered several R1 rifles. Our problem here in Lenasia is when one enters or exists your gate. Criminals see this as an easy target. The Government should mobilize the army and give them arresting power just until crime is finally under control. This is not the new South Africa I dreamed and longed for!
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    A large sector of the population has nothing to lose. If you have no job, no means to support your family and hardly qualify for enough social benefits to feed yourself then stealing from someone who lives in a big house and owns several cars will seem like a viable option.

Security is just a frame of mind and not much more. If you're in the wrong place on the day when someone with nothing to lose decides he's going to do whatever it takes then all the security in the world isn't going to help.

We need security guards with guns....I think not. These are the same security guards who take home R2500.00 per month after the agency has taken a slice. They're also the same security guards that will use those guns on you one evening when they decide to supliment their income with a spot of burglary in the homes or business premises they're already extremely familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanash Naick View Post
    The Government should mobilize the army and give them arresting power just until crime is finally under control.
    The army won't help. I've lived in countries where the army operates in a law enforcement capacity and believe me it's not a way you want to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanash Naick View Post
    This is not the new South Africa I dreamed and longed for!
    Capitalism is the new apartheid. Coupled with an economic recession the crime problem is only going to get worse.

Suspended
    Thanks
    what blows my mind is that it is as of today it is unsafe to drop my kid at school...we have had the first hijacking in six years at the school...easy targets...i believe they will be back...i am so tired of everyone saying just give them what they want...but what can you do be a dead hero...you can arm yourself and try defend yourself but when they holding a gun to your kids head in the back seat...you are a sitting duck...at their mercy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast