Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: home security

Thanks
    Look on the bright side, at least it's just the car they're after and kidnapping kids for ransom hasn't caught on as a national sport yet.

Suspended
    Thanks
    I would rather live in South Africa than any other country in the world. The grass is not greener on the other side ! And as I have said before crime is rife in any country in different forms as well, so we need to learn to live with it and help to minimize the crime. I have travelled a few times into Africa and Europe and everytime I land back in SA I am so happy to be home. By travelling you also learn to appreciate your country in more ways than one.

How can you complain about the crime in one sentance, but then run down every possible solution that people have given to try to help solve the crime ? Yes arming some security guards WILL help some situations as long as they are trained properly - obviously you are not going to give a weapon to an untrained guard that earns R2500 per month. Getting the army in, in certain situations is going to help - I dont think the person that suggested it was talking about running the country with the army ! So yes it might help to have some army personnel at high risk banks or hot spots - it would certainly give them something more to do than hang around their bases all day long. Security is not just a "frame of mind" - it is a fact and in this country a neccessity. Please do not tell me that an electric fence around a farm or a house is a frame of mind - it keeps them out if installed properly !

Being in the security industry for quite a while now and talking to other installers and suppliers you get a feel of ups and downs and at the mo it def feels that it is down - security businesses are quite all over - fellow installers are generally quite - so perhaps we are going to a downward trend.

3. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (29-Feb-12)

Thanks
    Vanash
    Lenasia sounds like the Wild West. Whenever I have been to Lenasia it has seemed quite peaceful, but I went on Sunday mornings.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanash Naick View Post
    The criminals we deal with are heavily armed, our security also need to be heavily armed. Pistols don't deter a heavily armed gang of 10 characters!
    So true...

Well as a neighbourhood watch we get fluffy tasers that is extremely close range… We get paintball guns "A child's toy!!!" with paper balls to shoot at a attacker with a AK47 and stolen body armour. We get two-way radios so that we can scream for help. The criminals have a network of gangsters sending each other SMS telling them where you are, who is with you where you are going what road you are taking and if one stopped at the ATM or not.

The person sitting Innocently at each corner selling fruit and stuff have a clear view of who is going ware and it is known that those people will "sometimes" work with the gangs to log our movements.

I am sorry to say but security is a fallacy...
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Suspended
    Thanks
    If security was a "fallacy" then why do you do the neighbourhood watch ? Why do you buy fluffy tazers ? Why do you have two way radios ? Why do you then have the paintball guns ??

Is it that you perhaps have bought all the above, formed a neighbourhood watch and then have been able to minimize the crime situation ? And if you dont think so why dont you stop rather then and see what happens ? You are providing a deterrent in the form of people and numbers, which is an effective secruity in its own right - therefore security is not neccessary a "fallacy" !

Other people secure their premises with more sophisticated equipment which works for them. I have recently secured a company that was broken into every week - since we have done our thing they have not had a problem!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb View Post
    Being in the security industry for quite a while now and talking to other installers and suppliers you get a feel of ups and downs and at the mo it def feels that it is down - security businesses are quite all over - fellow installers are generally quite - so perhaps we are going to a downward trend.
    It's not because crime is down, but rather that the home owners are a wee bit short on cash, and hence the lack of improving security with high tech items.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

8. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (28-Feb-12)

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    It's not because crime is down, but rather that the home owners are a wee bit short on cash, and hence the lack of improving security with high tech items.
    Yes this is also a reason and always has been a reason, but in the past when people are strapped for cash we are still busy because the crime was up. Lately things have died down quite dramatically.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb View Post
    If security was a "fallacy" then why do you do the neighbourhood watch ? Why do you buy fluffy tazers ? Why do you have two way radios ? Why do you then have the paintball guns ??

Is it that you perhaps have bought all the above, formed a neighbourhood watch and then have been able to minimize the crime situation ? And if you dont think so why dont you stop rather then and see what happens ? You are providing a deterrent in the form of people and numbers, which is an effective secruity in its own right - therefore security is not neccessary a "fallacy" !

Other people secure their premises with more sophisticated equipment which works for them. I have recently secured a company that was broken into every week - since we have done our thing they have not had a problem!
    I think people found that security products for the most part do not work. A barbwire and or electric fencing for example can easily be beaten by a rubber mat. Secondly criminals are very clever, they stage 7 robberies at the same time knowing that the police have limited man power they will have enough time.

Lately the same is true with security companies; basically the criminals identify 6 customers for example each within a good distance of each other making sure that the distance between the properties is wide enough but not to wide. The reason is there is but 1 patrol car in the aria and if there are 6 simultaneous alarms the patrol person gets overwhelmed.

The criminals deploy strategies like these to maximise their time stealing what they want. Now most people have someone working for them inside the house and or outside. Most of the time your homes inventory is common knowledge so they know who has what and where it is.

Also consider this, If the police and security companies where indeed successful then there wouldn’t be a need for a neighbourhood watch. But out of desperation one was formed and even the neighbourhood watch alongside the security company and police have very little success partly because we are out man and out gunned.

The criminals have the bigger guns, they have a very well oiled network at their disposal and above all else they have inside info. It is a very difficult problem we are facing. Also remember there guns kill...

So to be fair we have all these kids' toys… The tazer, paintball gun and two-way radios because it is all that we are allowed to have by government regulation. But to be brutally truthful we have the above mentioned because we are scared and we would rather have something then nothing at all.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Suspended
    Thanks
    you put up all the hitech equipement around your house...get 5 pitbuls...cctv...trellidor...electric fencing...beams in the garden...make safe rooms for the family to run and hide in case of a house breaking......spend thousands on armed response...have a 24 hr private security vehicles patroling over and above the armed response...

then at 7.30 am in the morning as your wife opens the gate to take the kids to school she is blocked...taken back into the house with all your securtiy...a gun held to one of the kids heads...she is forced to perform immoral acts...while they hold the kids in another room...shit scared of what they might do...she willingly performs these acts out of fear of what they threaten to do to the kids...while other savages ransack the house...eating food and drinking out the fridge as if it is just another day in africa....they then get her and the maid to load all your material things you worked you butt off to get into her car and off they go...yip i agree it isnt greener on the other side...but man it is about time the men in this country stood up and said enough is enough...just remember...dead criminals dont waste our hard earned tax money rotting in over crowded jails...what is more inhumane...putting a young criminal into a jail...where his chances of getting a life threatening desease which is just gona make his death a long slow painful one...or just killing him quickly...no sufferin...yeah i know most people would say the long slow painful one is what he deserves...the problem is chance s are pretty good that he will be released and given the optitunity to improve his newly aquired skills from prison.

my staff complain how bad it is in the townships...we think we have it bad...they say they cannot buy any materia items of value otherwise it is taken from them....they complain that they cannot cross the bridge across the highway...because they are robbed in broad daylight...when i asked why they dont gang up and sort out the criminals they say they are arrested like criminals...seems it is easier to arrest a law abiding person for taking the law into their own hands because the police have no controll over the crime...than it is to track down and arrest criminals

i had to laugh when i read the part about the 6 different locations...they have become so brazen...they hit 5 houses next door to each other one after another starting at 2.30 am...an old couple managed to get out the house and hide in the garden while they ransaked the house.

this is a beutiful country...the joke...a small ratio of the population is making it unpleasant for the majority...sems to be a trend in this country...appartheid and and now a crimminal element

Email problem
    Thanks
    Have you ever seen "Escape from Absalom"? I think it's time we implement something like that in South Africa. The police don't actually care about criminals and don't actually have the balls to stand up against them.

13. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (29-Feb-12)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast