Thread: What can be considered "hate speech"?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

What can be considered "hate speech"?

Two weeks ago we had the SABC refusing to flight Sowetan's ad for Freedom Day because it "bordered on hate speech." The advert was taking a jab at crime and unemployment.

I wonder how that advert stacks up against this little gem:
    ...the chairperson of the Commission for Employment Equity, Jimmy Manyi, said racism is the main reason transformation is slow in many South African companies.

"The problem is that gatekeepers in most companies were largely white. These white people feel that their genes where much more superior than those of black people," he said.
    from a story on M&G here
    Now that, IMHO, is hate speech. Racist hate speech.

Thanks
    The reason, IMO, for slow transformation, is that people that are heading up these commissions are simple minded in thinking that people with a generations' worth of education and experience can be replaced at a drop of a hat.

Back to the topic, I agree that this does sound racist and hateful. I think that anything that one gets the feeling that the opposing party has an issue with you as person, can be considered as hate speech.

For example: If I tell Riaan that his business is growing but I am the one that made it happen for minimum wage, one can assume that I have an issue with him, and that there is some resentment for his success, and in a way it might become a hateful comment.

A thought: Where does normal resentment end and hateful start?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanfx View Post
    The reason, IMO, for slow transformation, is that people that are heading up these commissions are simple minded in thinking that people with a generations' worth of education and experience can be replaced at a drop of a hat.
    Simple minded? I'd say optimistic. Trust me - Jimmy and other folk that hold these positions (and views) are nobody's fool.

But yeah - I think it's the history of education and experience that's the real limiter on quicker transformation. I strongly doubt it's in any significant way related to the presence of "superior genetic code" adherents.
    Quote Originally Posted by stephanfx View Post
    A thought: Where does normal resentment end and hateful start?
    Good question. I've been pondering about exactly where Jimmy's statement crosses the line. It does cross the line because his own racial hate paradigm within which the statement was made is clear to see. But that's an overall holistic reference point....

Maybe it's the way he tries to justify his interpretation of the cause. Still haven't figured it out.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Simple minded? I'd say optimistic. Trust me - Jimmy and other folk that hold these positions (and views) are nobody's fool.
    I am sorry for saying simple minded, I actually do not know who are at the helms of these commissions and therefore withdraw that judgment. Thanks for the correction, Dave.

I think the reason for me being so hasty in my reply is the fact that it always comes back, even 10+ years after it ended. When will they stop looking at the problem and laying out blame, and start looking for a solution?

Sorry again

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    No worries, Stephan

I actually understood where you were coming from. I thought it wise to lay down some depth in case anyone took what you were saying too literally.

Perhaps the word you were looking for at the time was "simplistic." It somehow has less sting than "simple-minded."

It's so easy for terminology to be misunderstood - especially with all our official languages and so many people actually working in a second language. I try to ease the tensions from misunderstandings where I can.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.