Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Somali Pirates

Thanks

Somali Pirates

These characters need to be dealt with in a more decisive manner. The current approaches are not working. These shady characters operate with impunity!
    I naturally don’t condone pirates as it were but there is something of there behavior that is downright interesting. Let me put things into perspective. When they started off they would only board ships and demand the contents of the safe. They soon realized that most of the safes only contained documents. So they actually sat down and though and guess what? They looked to history for a very devious tactic namely kidnap people for ransom. You see this is what the predecessors done centuries ago. Don’t you find that interesting , these seemingly illiterate characters consulted some history books for a solution to their despicable problem!!!
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I have always said that we have become civilized into extinction.

How would Cesar, Genghis Khan or Alexander the Great have handled the situation?

There may be an important lesson, and please don't come and tell me they are living in poverty, they are part of the poverty problem.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Kidnapping, murder and hostile takeover of ships and blackmail are not the acts of a desperate person. They know if they make their victims suffer and there situation dire that someone will pick up the bill.

So how do one deal with such a situation?

Arming the ships will not work… Having access to weapons doesn’t mean they will know how to use them nor how deal with an attack.

The only reasonable solution is to disarm the attackers. It is that simple really…
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Send a few drones to turn all vessels in and near somalia into matchsticks.

If they claim subsistance fisherman, parachute drop a crate of frozen fish.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post

The only reasonable solution is to disarm the attackers. It is that simple really…
    Being an ex military person myself it is actually NOT that "simple" to disarm the attackers !

Thanks

Thanks
    Do tell about your ex military experience and memories
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb View Post
    Being an ex military person myself it is actually NOT that "simple" to disarm the attackers !
    So by tracking the weapons back to the supplier and disrupting the supply of weaponry will not reduce the attackers ability to attack?

I would imagine that these criminals have a healthy stash of weaponry but if they cannot get resupplied there bullets will eventually run out…

Basically any operation in history revolved around 3 things.

1. Intelligence gathering.
    2. Disrupting supplies
    3. Take control and or eliminate assets.

Now since these 3 things are incorrect I am very curious… How would you stop these attacks considering the fact that you are ex military?
    peace is a state of mind

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote [So by tracking the weapons back to the supplier and disrupting the supply of weaponry will not reduce the attackers ability to attack?]

The Russian made AK47 is one of the most effective assault rifles of all time and has been made since around 1950. It has been made for a long time and is easily available anywhere in any country. Please tell me how you would "track" back to the supplier and stop distribution. Yes you can track back one supplier for eg, but when one is found there are another 100 more that they can get from. Unfortunately it is like a desease. Take SA for example - at one point you could go to Komatipoort and buy one for R20. Then they stopped that - then you could go to southern Mozambique and get one for R30 bucks - and that is just SA ! As for "bullets" - these will never run out !

Have you ever wondered, when watching TV, when you see footage of a country in turmoil, eg Libya, and there are hundreds of rebels, all with assault rifles like the AK47,some shooting wildly in the air ...... where those weapons come from and where they will go to when the "war" is over. Those are all normal civilian people that have now stood together to overthrow a country and have been armed !! Where do you think they come from and are going to end up ?

Quote [How would you stop these attacks]
    I dont think anyone has the short answer for this - it is a very sad situation - perhaps those ships do need armed gaurds on them at all times, especially when they sail in pirate waters, who knows. Perhaps they need more sophisticated radar on them to pick up a small fast powerboat that is closing on them with pirates on board. I am sure the relevant authorities are pulling their hair out trying to figure out solutions.

Quote [considering the fact that you are ex military?]
    I'm sure there are many ex military people on this forum from the 1980 era. Some who just did their two years and some who were in for longer.

Lastly please remember that I did not say that it would not reduce the attackers "ability" to attack. I said that it is not that simple to disarm the attackers. Please read properly.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I maintain that intelligence is key. Those boats don't build themselves… They don’t need to be that fast just fast enough to intercept a slow moving cargo ship.

So in this situation one must consider what they use:
    Fuel
    Boats
    Weapons

Where does the Fuel come from?
    Where do the boats/materials to build boats come from?
    Where are the weapons being imported?

If one can isolate any one of these 3 things you can seriously compromise their ability to attack.

Also I would imagine that heat sensitive cameras would proof very effective because a warm body on top of a cold one would be visible to these cameras.

Now as you know these cameras's can be very long range and you would be able to spot them long before their weapons are in range. Secondly I would imagine that (LRAD "Long Range Acoustic Device" will be able to send them packing long before they have the ability to do a counter attack.

It is not perfect I agree but keeping a healthy distance between the attackers and yourself I would imagine would help.
    peace is a state of mind

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.