Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Somali Pirates

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post

It is not perfect I agree but keeping a healthy distance between the attackers and yourself I would imagine would help.
    How would you keep a "healthy" distance between yourself and your "attackers" when you are a very large oil tanker or freight ship or cargo ship or passenger ship, when they have a small powerboat wizzing around you ? These ships cant just keep their distance.

Thanks
    Boats are the answer, you can't be a 'pirate' without a boat. just destroy all boats in somali waters, harbours and beaches and hey presto no pirates, just a huge angry population of would be pirates and supporters.

If I was a fisherman and I new that my boat would be destroyed if pirates were allowed to operate from my area I would be the first to report the pirates.
    By not blowing the whistle you are condoning the act, therefore you are complicit and your boat is a fair target.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

3. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (24-Feb-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb View Post
    How would you keep a "healthy" distance between yourself and your "attackers" when you are a very large oil tanker or freight ship or cargo ship or passenger ship, when they have a small powerboat wizzing around you ? These ships cant just keep their distance.
    Well the new generation LRAD device can operate at a distance of up to 8900 meters. So you can deploy your defensive well within moderate safety. When exposed to the LRAD device can be painful and will slow the attackers down.

Now the Thermal camera is not new to the military and can identify a target from a very reasonable distance up to 6000 meters (depending on model and make). So you have your early detection and a long range deterrent that will give one much needed time to radio for help and keep your attackers at a distance of 5000 meters.

Most weapons like the AK47 will not work so far away. An RPG has a known distance of 930 meters (depending on model) so you have an advantage of over 5000 meters.

So if anything they will not speed towards you rather I would imagine they will try and get away from you as fast as possible.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    If I was a fisherman and I new that my boat would be destroyed if pirates were allowed to operate from my area I would be the first to report the pirates.

By not blowing the whistle you are condoning the act, therefore you are complicit and your boat is a fair target.
    You just identified an asset and figured out how to use it. If they don't comply and do not report the crimes being committed then it is within reason that the asset cannot be used as an advantage.

So the asset may help to warn the criminals of military ships and may even act as a distraction thus your mindset is well within reason wynn.
    peace is a state of mind

Suspended
    Thanks
    LRAD has been used against pirates and has not worked. It works very well with normal crowd control.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb View Post
    LRAD has been used against pirates and has not worked. It works very well with normal crowd control.

Please allow me to introduce the Phalanx CIWS. This thing will turn anything "almost anything" into Swiss-Cheese!

It is deck mountable and has a effective range of 3600 meters (depending there are more powerful versions out) so you have a 2000 meter safety zone!

Now if anything comes your way you will be able to sink it before they are in range to use their weapons of choice. An example would be ever-popular RPG (distance of 930 meters)

So if the LRAD fails to keep them away then option B (Phalanx CIWS) will be a bid more persuasive
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I agree that we are too civilised. That was why the Iraqi war dragged on for so long and that is why Afghanistan is still in turmoil. You can not kill and kiss at the same time. Decide what you want to do and get the job done in the shortest possible time.

Although I despised them, the Nazis perfected the blitzkrieg. Strike hard and fast and then put your own structures in place. This way there is less collateral damage and everyone knows who is in charge.

I can not believe that the superpowers of this world can allow themselves to be stuffed around by a bunch of terrorists in powerboats. They know exactly what they have to do, they just do not have the resolve and the will to face the problem. These animals have no human rights, just blow them out of the water!
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I honestly don't think you will resolve the problem with massive bombings "delay it perhaps" but it will not solve anything.

Consider this: recolonization...

If each of the UN countries establishes an active base and sea port they can bring in food and equipment to purify water for agriculture thus creating a massive foundation for jobs and economic stability.

This way you can encourage the people to work with the UN and thus allowing for much more manpower… Once living conditions improves the UN can create a special council to act as a permanent Custodian.

This way the people also win, they get security, agriculture, and improved living conditions. The UN gets valuable resources.
    peace is a state of mind

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    I know it sounds simple and shallow but cant the Somali and adjacent waters not be patrolled by NATO or some other organisation and random "water" blocks be set up to check all vessels. Those with weapons get dealt with accordingly although I suspect a boat with weapons could also claim to be carrying weapons for self-protection. If they're identified to be Pirates simply turn them into fish food.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As I've been following this thread I've been thinking much the same thing, gac. What is needed is a strong navy presence in the area.

Merchant marine vessels are sitting ducks, and I don't think anyone who hasn't been in the military, or perhaps through a serious military roadblock with heavily armed vehicles in attendance, has any appreciation of the gulf between a military force (which is what these pirates are) and an armed civilian crew.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.