Thread: Tokyo "available" for ANC president

Thanks

Tokyo "available" for ANC president

It seems that this slipped of the forum's radar, but Tokyo Sexwale has made himself available for the role of ANC president. It seems to be causing quite a stir in the camp, mainly because of the way he has gone about announcing it. It would seem that the inner circles of the ANC have not condoned his actions.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I noticed the headlines - but I didn't get to the ruffled feathers part. Any links?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I noticed the headlines - but I didn't get to the ruffled feathers part. Any links?
    Mainly reports I saw on TV....I'll see if I can scratch anything up.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Maybe it'll hit the online media tomorrow.

Thanks
    I managed to find some articles on IOL,

There seems to be general unhappiness around him announcing his "availability" which seems to be construed as campaigning (which appears to be frowned upon — unless you are Jacob Zuma that is). From the ANCYL (the real authorities)

"People are nominated by structures of the ANC, they don't avail themselves," Mbalula told reporters in Johannesburg.

"No leader of the ANC can nominate himself. It is not the nature of the ANC."

From No ANC leader nominates himself: ANCYL
    Sexwale was indirectly chastised by ANC secretary-general Kgalema Motlanthe for using TV as a way of campaigning.

From ANC officials want campaigning rules altered
    One of the interesting things here is the Motlanthe is apparently one of the possible candidates.

I'm just happy that there appears to be at least one person who seems to be open and candid. I don't really understand the internal politics of the ANC, which seem to be intent on keeping as many people in the dark as possible.

Email problem RKS Computer Solutions's Avatar
    Thanks
    It's called the mushroom effect: Keep 'em in the dark and keep feeding them shi...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dsd View Post
    From the ANCYL (the real authorities)
    Oh that was so good.

At the very least it's really bad form to "nominate" yourself. But publicly declaring you're open to nomination is not much different from whisper campaigning for a nomination in the hallways. And please, that goes on all the time.

No surprise that the ANCYL had an allergic reaction. They're pro-Zuma and would waste no time in undermining any meaningful competition.

As to whether this is meaningful competition, I'm wondering how far Tokyo may have drifted from the core movers and shakers. There seems to be a fair amount of unhappiness about those that hopped out of politics and into business. And now hopping back into the political mainstream - for the top post no less. It's going to be interesting.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RKS Computer Solutions View Post
    It's called the mushroom effect: Keep 'em in the dark and keep feeding them shi...
    Well. It looks like Thabo might reap the rewards of the mushroom effect.
    Tough times for Mbeki

Business mogul Tokyo Sexwale's decision to enter the African National Congress (ANC) presidential succession race has dealt a heavy blow to President Thabo Mbeki's chances of securing a third term as party president, the Sunday Times reported.

It said several senior ANC leaders and Cabinet ministers close to Mbeki have decided to throw their weight behind Sexwale's bid while Mbeki still mulls over his nomination by the Eastern Cape province.

The Sunday Times was also aware of at least one senior KwaZulu-Natal provincial minister who was ready to switch allegiance to Sexwale as signs of a crack within the Jacob Zuma camp began to emerge.

"Mbeki's failure to take his ANC aides and close allies into his confidence about whether he intends accepting nomination for a third term has been cited as one of the reasons some of his allies have decided to abandon him," the Sunday Times said
    from M&G here
    Interesting that Thabo might have been considering a third term...