Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrical Household Geysers

Thanks

Electrical Household Geysers

Hi
    Is anyone able to help with a problem I have with my two geysers. I have a large one supplying the main bathroom, kitchen and outside bathroom. The second smaller one supplies the ensuite. I want to tun off the small geyser and operate with only the large geyser. I have two ripple meters and two trip switches, one for each geyser. I have tried turning off the trip switch for the smaller geyser and it results in all the hot water in the house becoming cold. I have put the trip switch back on and turned off the large geyser trip switch and all the water in the house becomes cold. I have had two electricians and a plumber trying solve the problem. The geysers are not in series. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks. Glynischeryl.

Email problem
    Thanks
    are the circuit breakers in the board double pole? maybe the neutrals are swopped. you switch 1 switch off,the live goes off on the 1 geyser and the neutral on the other geyser.

3. Thanks given for this post:

Glynischeryl (15-Feb-12)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Glynischeryl View Post
    I have had two electricians and a plumber trying solve the problem. The geysers are not in series. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks. Glynischeryl.
    Hi Glynis, welcome to TFSA.

Geysers are about the simplist electrical device there is. If you've had 2 electricians in to look at this and they can't sort it out then I despair. You'll need to find an electrician that knows how to use an electrical tester. Even if as Bergie suggests one leg of the circuits is crossed with the other there's no reason this should be a problem to find and fix.

When you say they're not in series are you meaning from a plumbing or electrical point of view? Also who installed the ripple relays, was it a private electrician or the supply authority? Finally are the ripple relays ever operated for load shedding purposes?

5. Thanks given for this post:

Glynischeryl (15-Feb-12)

Thanks
    Is the DB correctly labelled?

7. Thanks given for this post:

Glynischeryl (15-Feb-12)

Thanks
    Thanks so for your advice and for answering so quickly. I will have to contact the electrician again and give him your suggestion. The electrician that was sent out by the company who installed the ripple meters said that the geysers are wired separately on the board. He tested each group of the wires by putting a meter around them and told me which set was drawing more current than the other, therefore telling me which trip switch operated each geyser. That was all he did. I am hoping you are right and that the problem can be solved.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Hi Glynis, welcome to TFSA.

Geysers are about the simplist electrical device there is. If you've had 2 electricians in to look at this and they can't sort it out then I despair. You'll need to find an electrician that knows how to use an electrical tester. Even if as Bergie suggests one leg of the circuits is crossed with the other there's no reason this should be a problem to find and fix.

When you say they're not in series are you meaning from a plumbing or electrical point of view? Also who installed the ripple relays, was it a private electrician or the supply authority? Finally are the ripple relays ever operated for load shedding purposes?
    Thanks so much for your reply. The plumber told me that the two geysers are not in series. He said the geysers are separate and not linked in anyway. The ripple relays were installed by a company that the municipality employed to do the relays. They are used for load shedding purposes and the electrician that came from this company said that load shedding takes place between 8.30 am and 10 am and again at about 6pm to 8pm. Whether it happens daily, I am not sure. I have not noticed any change in the water temperature and have had the meters for about two years. Before the meters were installed, I have tried to operate with one geyser and found the problem I still now have. I dont think that the ripple relays are the poblem - I do hesitate to say this as I am not an electrician. I will contact my private electrician and show him all the posts I have received and let you know what happens.

Thanks
    I think the DB board is now correctly labelled. The first switch being the trip switch for the bigger geyser and the second switch to the right of the first is for the smaller geyser - that is according to the one private electrician and the private company electician that does the municipal ripple relays.

Really appreciate all the input I have received. Apparently electricity is going up again in April and it seems such a waste having two geysers running for two people.

Thanks
    I agree, if you can happily use just one geyser then it will save you a considerable amount money over time. You should persevere and get the issue sorted out, it really shouldn't be that complicated and you'll have peace of mind.

Thanks
    Hi

I cannot thank you all enough for the input you gave me. My brother, who is a qualified electrician, came around on Wednesday evening and fixed the problem. I told him what you had suggested Bergie and you were right. The neutrals were swopped. (The board is double pole) He sorted it out and I waited until this morning(Friday) to make sure that the small geyser was cold. I am pleased to say that it is cold.

I am really thankful for forums like this one. Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Glad to hear is all sorted out and thanks for the feedback, it's always nice to hear what actually caused the problem in the end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast