Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 30 Day Challenge To Get Your Business Online

Thanks

Lightbulb 30 Day Challenge To Get Your Business Online

I love online marketing for small businesses. I've seen my customers lives (and pockets) transformed by growing their online presence and establishing their brand and marketing online. However, for the "cash-strapped" business person, it can often be very , very depressing when you first venture into the online world. There is so much information out there that you feel like pulling out your hair, or even worse, giving up the whole "online thing".

I hear it all the time. As soon as I tell people what I do - I get a crazy amount of questions and "oohhhs" and "ahhhs" because people think what I do is like magic... but it's not. It's a simple science that anyone can replicate whether or not they have any experience online. The more you read, the more you learn, the better you'll do.

So, I figured, it'd be fun to start a thread where I have a 30 day plan, where I give daily updates on what you should be doing to get the "six pillars" of online marketing set up almost cost-free.

I'll go through everything - hosting - domains - keyword research - seo - social media marketing - content, email, mobile marketing - online reputation management.

I'll show you how to do everything free or has cost effective as possible.

I will also offer my knowledge and advice for free in this thread, or you can PM me for my email or Skype. (I charge businesses overseas $150 per HOUR for consulting - so I hope you'll take me up on this offer - I love having my brain picked and pushing people into the right direction).

2. Thank given for this post:

Funkie (27-Jul-13), Nono M (12-Mar-18), polpak (22-Jun-13)

Thanks
    Day 1

If you're a new business or a business that has no online presence what so ever, you need to start right from the beginning. Finding a home for your brand.

The easiest way to "create" an online space for your business is to purchase a domain name.

1. You can purchase a domain at the following domain registrars:

Godaddy.com (perfect for SA businesses who want to cater to an international client base)
    Webafrica.co.za (perfect for SA businesses who cater to only SA people)

I do not recommend Hetzner.

If you're going to cater to only South African customers, buy yourself a .co.za. If you want to cater to international clients then I'd rather suggest purchasing a .com

If you want a domain (but can't afford the R120 yearly renewal fee), try http://www.za.net/ > they offer free domain names. And I've used them before. Take for instance my email address:

jovana at sumar.za.net

I only use the domain for email purposes but it's been active and working for the last three years. You can only use these domain names for personal use or a personal business. You cannot use these domains for affiliate marketing.

2. Take time to pick your domain name.

It needs to be brandable and short. Ideally , it should be your business name.

glambikes.com
    salonaquella.co.za.

Please, for the love of God , don't make it an EMD (exact match domain). I.E. If you're a business who sells... lawnmowers in johannesburg.

I've seen this sold to businesses all over - buying a domain for the keyword that you want to rank... i.e. lawnmowersjohannesburg.co.za. The idea behind this is that EMD's rank higher in google - which has some truth - but EMD's are not as powerful as they used to be with Google Panda (you'll find out what that is later).

This is NOT good. You need a domain that is brandable and easy to remember. Make it as short as possible.

You need to remember, it has to look goods on business cards, future marketing materials, etc.

Don't buy before you're 100% certain. I had a client purchase 5 different domain names because they were so indecisive.

WHY IS UR DOMAIN NAME IMPORTANT

Your domain, and consequently your website, will most likely (if you work on your online marketing properly) become a serious asset for your business.

Once you have a domain picked (and bought) you're ready to go onto Day 2!

4. Thank given for this post:

adrianh (09-May-12), AndyD (09-May-12), Blurock (14-Feb-12), Dave A (13-Feb-12), Nono M (12-Mar-18), Norri (13-Feb-12), wynn (12-Mar-13)

Suspended
    Thanks
    Thanks Jovana ........... looking forward to Day 2

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Jovana, I'm really looking forward to the next 29 days

A quick comment on domain registrations - Dealing direct with Uniforum for co.za registrations costs only R50.00 per annum. Unfortunately it's not particularly user friendly for a novice, though - and you need somewhere to park the domain if you haven't got hosting set up yet.

Please, for the love of God , don't make it an EMD (exact match domain). I.E. If you're a business who sells... lawnmowers in johannesburg.

I've seen this sold to businesses all over - buying a domain for the keyword that you want to rank... i.e. lawnmowersjohannesburg.co.za. The idea behind this is that EMD's rank higher in google - which has some truth - but EMD's are not as powerful as they used to be with Google Panda (you'll find out what that is later).
    We're using "brand related" domains and EMDs, so I particularly look forward to hearing more on your concerns about EMDs in due course.

Thanks
    Sorry for the delay guys, I'll upload the next couple of days tomorrow

Being interviewed on radio and have been busy double-checking all my sales funnels are ready!!!

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovana View Post
    Sorry for the delay guys, I'll upload the next couple of days tomorrow

Being interviewed on radio and have been busy double-checking all my sales funnels are ready!!!
    No problem Jovana ........... dont stress doll ........ just do one day at a time ......... otherwise we ....... well maybe me wont be able to keep up

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb View Post
    just do one day at a time ......... otherwise we ....... well maybe me wont be able to keep up
    True for me too!

Thanks
    Any particular reason why you do not like Hetzner?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Upstairs View Post
    Any particular reason why you do not like Hetzner?
    Echo that. Was wondering the exact same thing.

I switched every single one of my domains and panels to Hetzner and have been very happy thus far.

Oddly enough, it's almost as if a piece of me (as a web designer) dies every time a client takes out hosting with WebAfrica. I would recommend their hosting to all my competitors.

Thanks
    Great initiative Jovana - so many SA small business fail to see the value in the online space and have this misconception that it's incredibly complicated. Good work!

13. Thanks given for this post:

PlatinumWealth.co.za (20-Jan-17)

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast