Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Disconnecting a gate motor

Suspended
    Thanks
    Surely lockable defeats the objective of being able to isolate the motor quickly?

Suspended
    Thanks
    so dave when do you write your installation rules...part of your bucket list you wont need to ask your electrical guys for advice

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    There are lockout covers you can fit on plugs and padlock to prevent them being plugged in again so a plug can be considered a lockable disconnect if the right device is used.
    I'd question whether standard plugpoints are designed as "lockable" though.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    so dave when do you write your installation rules...part of your bucket list you wont need to ask your electrical guys for advice
    Not happening - that's not where the company needs me

I just happened to have sat in on the meeting where we thrashed this gate motor story, so I'm a little more brushed up on the issues than normal.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb View Post
    Surely lockable defeats the objective of being able to isolate the motor quickly?
    Lockable in this case means once the plug top is removed from the socket disabling power to the circuit on the plug, some device is installed on the plug socket which does not sallow the plug top to be plugged in again. Part of safety for when an electrician is working on the circuit.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    Lockable in this case means once the plug top is removed from the socket disabling power to the circuit on the plug, some device is installed on the plug socket which does not sallow the plug top to be plugged in again. Part of safety for when an electrician is working on the circuit.
    lockable in the off position. i wouldnt accept funny lockout devices for a socket outlet .the lockout disappears and then you have to please explain the next time another sparky comes along and fails it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    please post a pic or a link...this is something i dont have or have i ever seen...you learn something new everyday.
    There's several different makes of these things around. link link link They're nothing sexy, as long as it's lockable and these a sign on it then it fulfills the criteria. Mine all came from the UK but you can even make your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I'd question whether standard plugpoints are designed as "lockable" though.
    Do you mean plugs or sockets? If you're working on an appliance like a gate motor you wouldn't need to lock out the socket if you lock out the plug.

8. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (16-Feb-12)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bergie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    lockable in the off position. i wouldnt accept funny lockout devices for a socket outlet .the lockout disappears and then you have to please explain the next time another sparky comes along and fails it.
    I'm not sure if I'm understanding correctly here, you only need to lockout the actual supply if the appliance you're working on is hard wired in an isolator. If it's unpluggable then you can only effictively lock out by encapsulating the plug once you've pulled it. If you lockout the socket then there's nothing to stop somebody plugging it into an alternative supply like another socket or an extension lead. This wouldn't qualify as a safe lockout.

Suspended
    Thanks
    thanks andy...pretty simple...a box around the the plug top...i suppose i have never had an application where i needed to lock out the plug top...most gate installations i have seen which are plugged into the garage are 12 volt.

Email problem
    Thanks
    ok now i see .i thought you meant the socket outlet. if that box could be permanently fixed to the cable i would more peace of mind.
    most gate motors have the 12 volt supply and battery in its own box,so the supply cable is in any case 230 volt.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast