Thread: 8 Things Your Employees Need Most

Thanks
    Blog Entries

8 Things Your Employees Need Most

I found this article in my inbox this morning. Well worth the read.

http://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/the-8-...need-most.html
    "Fortune favours the bold" - Virgil
    Riaan Nel
    Freelance Software Development | LinkedIn | Skype

2. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (09-Feb-12), tec0 (08-Feb-12)

Thanks
    Indeed, well worth the read. Thanks Riaan

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    1. Freedom. Best practices can create excellence, but every task doesn't deserve a best practice or a micro-managed approach. (Yes, even you, fast food industry.)

Autonomy and latitude breed engagement and satisfaction. Latitude also breeds innovation. Even manufacturing and heavily process-oriented positions have room for different approaches.

Whenever possible, give your employees the freedom to work they way they work best.
    Sounds great until they change the testing procedure, because their way is better/faster, and you get a mountain of rejects. Been down that road. They do not understand the intricacies of products and testing procedures.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Autonomy and latitude breed engagement and satisfaction. Latitude also breeds innovation.
    It's actually the "autonomy" part of this statement that I have reservations about. In a company that involves employees, there's no such thing as "autonomous" - you're functioning as part of a team. This means no-one should be changing things without considering the impact elsewhere in the team - which means communicate and consult first before moving to implimentation.

Apart from that - I can agree with all of it.

6. Thanks given for this post:

Blurock (08-Feb-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    This means no-one should be changing things without considering the impact elsewhere in the team - which means communicate and consult first before moving to implimentation.

Apart from that - I can agree with all of it.
    Not everyone understands cause and effect. Whatever you do or don't do has an impact on others. That is why corporate or government institutions often have problems with conflicting rules. A new rule is implemented without revoking the old rule. The result = conflict and confusion.

I also agree with the team principle. I have often expressed the view that even the best employee is dispensable if he/she is disruptive and does not fit in to the team.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

8. Thanks given for this post:

rfnel (09-Feb-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    Sounds great until they change the testing procedure, because their way is better/faster, and you get a mountain of rejects. Been down that road. They do not understand the intricacies of products and testing procedures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    It's actually the "autonomy" part of this statement that I have reservations about. In a company that involves employees, there's no such thing as "autonomous" - you're functioning as part of a team. This means no-one should be changing things without considering the impact elsewhere in the team - which means communicate and consult first before moving to implementation
    I reckon that it is largely dependent on your industry. In some cases (particularly in creative endeavors like graphic design companies), it's good to give your employees some freedom. In another company, like Justloadit's example, it might not be viable to give your employees too much freedom. From what I've read, it looks like the approach works very well for Google.
    "Fortune favours the bold" - Virgil
    Riaan Nel
    Freelance Software Development | LinkedIn | Skype

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Hi Riaan,

Absolutely spot on. What I have noted is that many threads are generalizing from the prospective of the writer, and hence the misunderstandings that occur. The statements made in the article again, do not define under the vision the author was making the comments. I think that he firstly should have described the industry he was referring to, then made the notes about the 8 points.

If you look at the diversity of the members of TFSA, I can see the different opinions coming through.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    A little bit 'new age touchy feely' for me.
    the only part I agree with is that people must feel they work with the boss not for the boss?
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    the only part I agree with is that people must feel they work with the boss not for the boss?
    Does it not all boil down to making people feel good about themselves? Treated with respect and consistent rules.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

13. Thanks given for this post:

rfnel (13-Feb-12)