Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My vegetable garden

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscythe12332 View Post
    I don't really have much space for a garden, so I've just been growing stuff in sill boxes. I'm also above the ground, so crawling insects have to work extra hard to get at my plants. I've been growing herbs more than anything else, but I also have great success with baby-leaf lettuce. I've just started growing some peppadew plants =) They take ages to grow, but when the crop comes I think I'll be enjoying a bit of bite to my food.
    Please show us some pics?
    ~Expenses will eat you alive! - My first Boss~

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    I also use the soup and water trick.
    I missed that one. What is it about?
    ~Expenses will eat you alive! - My first Boss~

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Be careful using salt as it will seriously and irreversibly affect the pH of your soil, which will cause all sorts of problems. Use crushed eggshells around your plants rather which snails really dont like crossing over as a preventative. Another method is to use the dregs of beer in a large glass jar buried at ground level. The fermenting beer draws them into the jar with its smell and they die a "happy" drowning death.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanash Naick View Post
    No, I don't use any form of pesticide. What I've resolved to do, is make a mixture of a little sunlight liquid with water
    That trick... It is very effective.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gac View Post
    Be careful using salt as it will seriously and irreversibly affect the pH of your soil, which will cause all sorts of problems. Use crushed eggshells around your plants rather which snails really dont like crossing over as a preventative. Another method is to use the dregs of beer in a large glass jar buried at ground level. The fermenting beer draws them into the jar with its smell and they die a "happy" drowning death.
    Yes it has the potential to mess up your garden completely; my setup for my garden is a bit different. The gap I was talking about is a small channel between the actual soil and brick work. There is no contact between the soil and the salt. "You can think of it as very tiny trench also if the channel gets flooded with water that is not really a problem because it normally ends up on the brick work.

I will be honest I found a lot of dead snails "bigger snails" but somehow the smaller ones still get on to the plant. Can it be the wind?

That said lately I have been experimenting with pots. Plants seem to love pots especially tomato plants and spinach. I find it to be much cheaper too especially when it comes to water. The smaller aria can be kept moist and you don’t use as much fertilizer compost as you normally would.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Well. If any one is interested in bonsai gardening for small yards I can give you some good tips. My strawberries are the size of pea pips and the tomatoes are the size of marbles.

Some of the vegies I planted in November are still only 30mm high, there are 70 containers of which a few are larger plants. We calculated that they should be "adult" in about 5 years time at this rate.

Something went wrong with what I thought were these zuchini's which turned out to be cucumbers surprise surprise. It made bonsai fruits as far as it went and at 30mm long and 4mm dia they'd turn yellow. One day when I was arranging the crown broke off, just after a cucumber. The plant must have gone berserk because there is now a real life size cucumber on it It just started swelling unbelievably. It's so huge compared to every thing around it ! I don't know what to do with this one massive cucumber because it's costing me roughly around R400 considering the soil, pesticide (yes it got some plant lice thanks to the ant hill we live on) not to mention the watering etc. I've never eaten vegetation that was that expensive. Maybe if I wait a few months the pricing in the shops will catch up and I won't feel guilty eating a vegie no one else could afford...

Anyway, gardening is just a hoax. I plant stuff today and even two days later nothing happened. Then when you have lost your patients, finally there appears some of zooooomah's promisses, and then nothing... Seems a lot like the rest of SA.

I guess the best diet there is is living off'n your own garden
    Regards
    Fanie

Thanks
    Vanash I definitely need to get some hints from you! Your veggies look wonderful! and yes there's nothing better than picking from the garden! My chillies are doing the best and my spinach, oh and 4 to 5 small avo trees seem to be thriving. I tried a home thing to kill whatever was eating my beautiful big sweet basil bush and I killed it! Peppers are looking good too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice Rain View Post
    Vanash I definitely need to get some hints from you! Your veggies look wonderful! and yes there's nothing better than picking from the garden! My chillies are doing the best and my spinach, oh and 4 to 5 small avo trees seem to be thriving. I tried a home thing to kill whatever was eating my beautiful big sweet basil bush and I killed it! Peppers are looking good too.
    Hi Alice,

To be perfectly honest with you, I have neglected my vegetable garden. I currently have only bay leaves( a huge bay leave tree), Rosemary, mint and chillies.
    My garden in general though is well maintained as I work in it myself. My lemon tree is thriving.
    I took these photos a few minutes ago..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140423_113743.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	4650   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140423_113728.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	4649   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140423_113723.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	4648  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140423_113709.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	4647   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140423_113804.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	4651   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140423_113830.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	4652  

“Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice Rain View Post
    I tried a home thing to kill whatever was eating my beautiful big sweet basil bush and I killed it! Peppers are looking good too.
    Boil some chillies and after the water has cooled off sprinkle it about your veg, keep it off the leaves though or you will sweat when you eat it.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanie View Post
    Well. If any one is interested in bonsai gardening for small yards I can give you some good tips. My strawberries are the size of pea pips and the tomatoes are the size of marbles.

Some of the vegies I planted in November are still only 30mm high, there are 70 containers of which a few are larger plants. We calculated that they should be "adult" in about 5 years time at this rate.

Something went wrong with what I thought were these zuchini's which turned out to be cucumbers surprise surprise. It made bonsai fruits as far as it went and at 30mm long and 4mm dia they'd turn yellow. One day when I was arranging the crown broke off, just after a cucumber. The plant must have gone berserk because there is now a real life size cucumber on it It just started swelling unbelievably. It's so huge compared to every thing around it ! I don't know what to do with this one massive cucumber because it's costing me roughly around R400 considering the soil, pesticide (yes it got some plant lice thanks to the ant hill we live on) not to mention the watering etc. I've never eaten vegetation that was that expensive. Maybe if I wait a few months the pricing in the shops will catch up and I won't feel guilty eating a vegie no one else could afford...

Anyway, gardening is just a hoax. I plant stuff today and even two days later nothing happened. Then when you have lost your patients, finally there appears some of zooooomah's promisses, and then nothing... Seems a lot like the rest of SA.

I guess the best diet there is is living off'n your own garden
    It's takes a while to find out what grows in what area of your garden AND at what time of year. But get some spinach/ swiss chard in first - you at least should be getting some return. Radishes also generally grow everywhere and grow quickly. I cannot seem to grow proper tomatoes - but do very well with cherry tomatoes. I buy all my seed on Bidorbuy - cheap and huge variety. trying out a couple of versions of kale at the moment - taking it's time though.

As for snails - I understand they hate copper - esp copper on those pot scrubbers. Bought some ages ago to unravel and staple on the top edge of my grow beds - but snails haven't been to much of a problem so far so haven't bothered. I take a walk out when it rains and do a bit of squishing though. I remember a neighbor used to get his kids to collect them - he then would cook them up and eat them!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast