Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting IT work done

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Angry Getting IT work done

So I place an advertisment to have a fairly strainght forward mission accomplished:

I need to have an Android machine to be set up in such a way that the machine will only run the one or two apps that I specify and also allow for a reader to display the one or two files that I specify. The machine must not be able to do anything else. The user must not be able to add, delete or modify anything at all. I don't want him to be able to delete the icons, change the time, nothing at all. The machine mst boot a custom splash screen and display a custom wallpaper.

The machines will be used remotely. If the files need to be updated then the machines will be sent back home...

Ok, so that was the ad.

I get a quote for 4-6 weeks at R250 an hour.

Then I get a quote for R4,000 to develop a custom splash screen and application manager (this seems fair)

Another crowd asked me for my budget and said that they will then tell me how long it would take (Never heard from them again when i pointed out that they should tell me how long it would take and what it would cost )

The latest quote was for R10,000 When I asked the guy for more details he said that he has a really good developer that he can use (so where does the R10,000 come from) He later went on to mail me a whole song and dance about a custom CMS to dynamically update the splash screen. (I am sure that it would include a fully integrated, high throughput, multi-lingual, Unicode YoYo that also doubles as a Ding Bat provided that I install Telnet, FTP and Windows 7 on an external harddrive tetherd to the "cloud" via 4G IPv6)

No wonder IT has such a bad name (IT seems to be fraught with oppertunist idiots who speak the lingo and don't do much else.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Where did you advertise to have this work done?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Gumtree.

The one guy talked a little bit too much in his email to me. Seems all that is needed is a "Custom Launcher" like the windows GUI. There is a demo with code available on Google's site.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I haven't done much with android to be honest but I did notice that the device CAN be locked with only one or two applications running. I Googled Android administrator app and found a bunch stuff... Now how useful it may be is anyone's guess. But I would start there…

example

example 2

It may not be what you are looking for but it shows you what can be done.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Unfortunately that is very true that there are a lot of 'chancers' out there and they make life very difficult for us honest small businesses that also does software development.

We have been doing software development for the last 17 years and your customers refer theor friends to us. That way we have a slow bus teady increase in customers and it's totally managable and we for long lasting partnerships with our customers.

I appreciate that there always needs to be new entrants to the market, but we have found that a cleint that has developed a decent description of his requirements and also created a 'sign off' sheet for acceptance of the work, will get a better quote. It shows the client has done his homework iro what he requires and that allows the developer to give a more accurate estimate.

I personally don't do any estimates where I have to also develop the delivery specifications unless the client pays me per hour to help design the specification. I have lost way to much unpaid time developing specs for a client and then never see the projects come to life.

Kind Regards

Ben

Thanks
    I think as per your requirement Scalefusion Android kiosk mode software is the best solution to resolve all this. It helps you remotely manage and control Android machine.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hmm how much do you know about android development? You will always find greatly varying prices especially as i assume you probably went online and then some local agencies. Also what you are asking for can be done inmany ways, the support behind it can be very different, the guarantee that a user will not find a way through to the native os. I wouldn't call 10k crazy to be honest, a bit overpriced. What people tend to say when looking at contracting developers take the lowest price and the highest priced guys and boot em and look at the mid priced guys, no guarantee tho, local is always better working with remote companies ive seen things go to rubbish in an instant over and over again and the cost of that was more than just doing it right the first time. Same thing could happen with local guys but if they're and established agency with a rep they will probably make sure it doesnt. That will probably cost you a bit more.
    Graphic Design company in East London South Africa | Web design company in East London South Africa
    " A plumbers tap always leaks " - Great advice from a forum member

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I thought I would see what I could find on the web, just to see how difficult a task you are referring to. I didn't have much joy, but did come across an article I though I would share with you. Read down till you get to doitright 's comments - he seems to share your sentiments

https://discuss.96boards.org/t/excha...boot-time/6617

Maybe scalefusion already does what you are looking for. Their software allows you to customise and lockdown the device, for $3 USD per device per month - something called kiosk mode. Might be cheaper and easier than finding a developer, depending on the number of devices you need to control. 14 day free trial.

Kioware , surelock and a few others also have similar solutions around the same pricing model. Hit the web and browse for Android Kiosk Mode and see whats out there.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    ...you do realize that my original post was in 2012...

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Wow - feeling rather "special" right now

I saw someone's update yesterday and joined in - didn't look at the dates at all.

so ... the question remains .... did you get it sorted out ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast