The accepted norm today is that 39% (Eskoms own figure) to 50% of your electricity cost is spent to heat water to bath or shower, most people nowadays shower with, only my brother in-law's girlfriend insisting on 2 baths a day (she's Russian?). Now if you do not take water out of a geyser, it stays hot for a very long time and needs very little electricity to keep the temp up. The solution is to shower and when you shower use an eco shower head to limit the water usage, I went from a 21 litre per minute shower head to a 8 litre per minute shower head. the old shower head was just blasting out water spraying and misting up the whole place, even with a lot of blocked holes. Now that it is off the wall it looks thorougly unhygienic as well.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old shower.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	2300
I bought a shower from www.ecoshower.co.za (online) and it works like a charm. It uses 13 liters less per minute (13 liters saving x 5 minute shower x 8 showers per day (family of 4 showering twice a day) x 350 day per year (we do take vacation)= 182 000 liters of water saved of which 60% is hot water out the geyser THUS 109 200 LITERS OF WATER THAT DID NOT LEAVE THE GEYSER AND THUS NOT NEEDED TO BE HEATED. Consider that the average geyser is 150 liters big, I'm saving by not heating 728 extra geysers per year!

Now you think that having a shower for 5 minute using 65 liters of water less will be a crappy experience, believe me it's not, the shower has tricks and technology to make it feel like a proper 5 star shower. There are 5 Star European hotel using these showers.

The shower cost R 450.00 which is quite reasonable and will pay for itself in 2-3 month, whereas heat pumps costs 10 of thousands of rands and takes years for you to recover your input cost. Eskom wants us to save 10% the shower is saving me much more and my lifestyle is unaffected!