Poll: Old School Music is cool

Page 1 of 176 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Old school music is cool!

Thanks

Cool Old school music is cool!

Hi guys,

I have a vast collection of music both old school and the latest. Even though I like Usher, Chris Brown, Jason Derallo, Lady gaga and Kattie Perry etc[the list goes on], there's only so much satisfaction that you get from listening to their music. In my opinion, such music is not timeless and universal and has a ‘sell by date.’ I’m starting this thread to revisit the songs of my youth. Many friends have asked me to post certain ‘old school tracks,’ that mean something to them. Time permitting I will. My favourite genre is reggae music. I fell in love with reggae in the summer of 1987. I’m hoping that the songs featured in this thread will bring back pleasant memories for many..

There are timeless and universal tracks that never go out of fashion and always move you. Remember Clarence Carter and " I got caught making love to another man's wife" or Barry Whites, "Let me live my life loving you"
    I'll leave you with the words of this timeless classic:-

"Baby you know I think we all need to
    take an inventory of
    Our love, our feelings
    Whats involved with that with that special lady or that special someone
    when I say we all need to talk about
    all men
    all the brothers of the world the black brothers the white brothers and the brown brothers and the red brothers
    cause you know basicly that all women are the same and we need to
    we need to take in consideration that
    that women is
    Gods greatest gift to man
    and we need to take in consideration that 9 out of 10 times they will be and they will do anything we want them to you know it dosent take much to give them flowers a simple card that says I love you somewhere that they say baby I need you you know that’s why I’m so in love and so wraped up in you baby because I can give you what God gave me the only thing that I feel that I really own for life That I live in to you I give this life and my love. You know why. Just because the love I found in you I feel this way Never had a dream come true not until the day you came into my life and made it awful sweet girl you did it all you did it all for me. Please let me live my life lovin you girl For the rest of my life my life close to you girl. No one but you girl. I really got my love you got my heart and soul for ever. The greatest story ever told how we loved each other When the people talk they will smile and say say were the only ones who made all the way Hay let me live my life lovin you you babe all the rest of my life belongs to you babe Let me honey let me live my life my life my life whoo babe whoo babe whoo babe I wish that I could find another way to show show how I really feel how much I love you so Oh let me live my life lovin you babe the rest of my life love to you babe. So I give all that I have to give to you for just as long as you as you want me to Everything baby The air I breath The love I need on ever thing is everything is you Only you baby Only you I guess you could even say is just another way to say I love you . I need you I want you Let me live my life lovin you The rest of my life my life lovin you babe" Barry White
    Last edited by Dave A; 16-Aug-14 at 04:02 PM. Reason: per user request
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    The Power Of Love: Huey Lewis and the news
    "The power of love is a curious thing
    Make a one man weep, make another man sing
    Change a hawk to a little white dove
    More than a feeling that's the power of love

Tougher than diamonds, rich like cream
    Stronger and harder than a bad girl's dream
    Make a bad one good make a wrong one right
    Power of love that keeps you home at night

You don't need money, don't take fame
    Don't need no credit card to ride this train
    It's strong and it's sudden and it's cruel sometimes
    But it might just save your life
    That's the power of love
    That's the power of love

First time you feel it, it might make you sad
    Next time you feel it it might make you mad
    But you'll be glad baby when you've found
    That's the power makes the world go'round

And it don't take money, don't take fame
    Don't need no credit card to ride this train
    It's strong and it's sudden it can be cruel sometimes
    But it might just save your life

They say that all in love is fair
    Yeah, but you don't care
    But you know what to do
    When it gets hold of you
    And with a little help from above
    You feel the power of love
    You feel the power of love
    Can you feel it ?
    Hmmm"

Click here
    sabbaticus

3. Thank given for this post:

Didditmiself (28-Oct-12), tec0 (09-Jan-12), Thato89 (09-Aug-16)

Thanks
    I personally prefer latest music but no doubt about the old music. “Old is gold” this phrase remain true in every century. I listen some songs that mention in your post and they take me into past.

5. Thanks given for this post:

Citizen X (09-Jan-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    If anything I am old school…

The band of all times must be Iron Maiden. I say this because I started listening to Iron Maiden long before I could read or write and it was always epic. Now what is it about Iron Maiden that just grabs attention?

Well firstly the controversial lyrics and bad stigma was never a lure… The truth is Iron Maiden was out of the box free thinking loud and there music always had a deeper insight that was missed by most critics yet there music endured to this day.

So yes through the good and the bad I will say this, in my opinion Iron Maiden will remain the pinnacle of absolute excellence…
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

7. Thanks given for this post:

Citizen X (09-Jan-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I just LOVE all forms of real music, starting from blues to hard rock, pop, a bit of progressive country and classical music. To me music is not old or new, modern or old. Good music is timeless!

I am just curious why old farts such as Eric Clapton, Santana, The Rolling Stones and Elton John are still around? Why is Elvis' estate still coining more than USD 50 million p.a? Are there no-one to replace them?
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

9. Thanks given for this post:

Thato89 (09-Aug-16)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Here's and interesting combination of rock band and symphony orchestra; Concerto for band and orchestra by Deep Purple. Recorded at the Royal Albert Hall Sept 1969. Here is the second movement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMEKF...eature=related

Awesome lead guitar. Interesting contest between the band and orchestra climaxing in harmony.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Progressive country is a lovely experience.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    I got these lyrics old school style! Despite extensive google searches I could not obtain the lyrics of Clarence carter’s “caught.” So, I done what I done when I was a kid and wanted lyrics, in the 80’s you had to play a tape cassette and write down the lyrics, pausing when necessaryI can safely say that this is a forumsa first. These lyrics appear nowhere online except here!. Well , with MP3, the process is similar : I present to you:

“I got caught making love to another man’s wife!”
    “ I want to do this next song especially for a young man, he used to come and see me when I came to Johannesburg. In fact last year, when I was here it came about 4 or 5 times.
    This year he came over the week before last but he hasn’t been over since.

And, today he called me and I asked him why he hasn’t been over.
    He said, “ I haven’t being well, I’m in the hospital.” I said, “well, what’s wrong with you?”
    He said, “ I have 3 ribs broken, I have a leg fracture.”And, he said his jaw wasn’t in a very good condition.
    I said, “ well, brother what happened to you?”
    He said, Clarence, I got caught making love to another man’s wife.

I went over to see my friend yesterday. His old lady told me he was gone away. She said she was burning with desire!!! She said, “ Clarence Carter.” I said, “ huh” “ can you put out my fire?”
    I got caught, caught, making love to another man’s wife! Yes, I did!
    She told me to step inside the door and then she reached over and turned the lights way down low and, before I knew what was going on she was in my arms!!!

I got caught, caught, making love to another man’s wife! Yes, I did!

Now, I know what I did was a shame but if I had a chance and I wasn’t in this hospital, I’d do it all over again!
    I had no business in that man’s house in the first place, that was his house, that was his wife and Clarence Carter had no business there!
    I only went there because she told me she had something on her mind and I wanted to help her get it off her mind, that’s all!
    You see, when I was a boy my mother told me to always be neighbourly!
    She told me that if I had some money and my neighbour needed to borrow some money then I should loan my neighbour some money;
    She told me that if my neighbour needed a ride to the doctor and he didn’t have a car, she said that I should take my car and give my neighbour a lift to the doctor.
    You know the things you learn as a child that’s what you do when you become an adult, so I thought if my neighbour’s wife needed a little help, I just thought that I’ll give my neighbour’s wife some help
    You see, all I was trying to do was to be neighbourly.
    Now you can understand why I was in that house, but when I got inside she told me to have a seat on the love seat, well, I sat down like she told me because I didn’t know what she had on her mind and while I was sitting there she brought me something to drink and I didn’t know what it was at first, but when I tasted it, I realised that she just brought me some mainstay.
    She knew I loved that mainstay
    You see that’s one thing about Clarence Carter, if there’s anything that you ever want me to do, give me some mainstay!
    But I still didn’t know what she had on her mind and after a while she went into the other room and when she came back, do you know, she had on nothing! She took it all off!
    And she sat down right besides me on the love seat
    Well, I just let her sit there because , I didn’t know what she had on her mind, and after a while she got tired of sitting there and she said, “ Clarence carter, I realise that you cannot see me so feel right here, and when I got through feeling where she showed me to feel and then she did something to me that I had never been done before. In fact I was surprised when she did it. I tell you I did not know that the woman in South Africa could do what she did but you know what she did, she reached down and took off my shoes.
    My conscience said, Clarence Carter, don’t you know that this is another man’s wife. The mainstays there and said, right on brother
    My conscience said, Clarence Carter, don’t you know that if that man catches you here, he’s going to beat the hell out of you, the mainstay said, right on brother. I was about to do what that mainstay told me to do until I heard that key in the door and I knew who it was so I come to tell you, I got caught making love to another man’s wife, YES I DID!

Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    "People say I'm crazy, doing what I'm doing
    Well, they give me all kinds of warnings to save me from ruin
    When I say that I'm okay, well, they look at me kinda strange
    "Surely, you're not happy now, you no longer play the game"

People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away
    Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me
    When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall
    "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball"

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
    I really love to watch them roll
    No longer riding on the merry-go-round
    I just had to let it go

Ahhh, people ask me questions, lost in confusion
    Well, I tell them there's no problem, only solutions
    Well, they shake their heads and they look at me as if I've lost my mind
    I tell them there's no hurry, I'm just sitting here doing time

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round
    I really love to watch them roll
    No longer riding on the merry-go-round
    I just had to let it go
    I just had to let it go
    I just had to let it go..." John Lennon
    ---

Last edited by Citizen X; 06-Feb-12 at 08:00 AM.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'm not a fan of modern pop music; it seems like each 'artist' is trying to be more vulgar or shocking than the rest.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of this guy. I also enjoy Sting, Elton John, Bon Jovi, Billy Joel and many of the greats of yesteryear. The '80s was also a great era for music.
    "Fortune favours the bold" - Virgil
    Riaan Nel
    Freelance Software Development | LinkedIn | Skype

Page 1 of 176 1231151101 ... LastLast