Poll: Old School Music is cool

Page 13 of 176 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Old school music is cool!

Thanks
    To me, you have to go a LONG way to beat Queen's music - with Bohemian Rhapsody untouchable...

Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin likewise grabs me.

Moody Blues also had their moments.

2. Thank given for this post:

Blurock (04-May-12), Citizen X (03-May-12)

Thanks
    Some good memories with Queen. I recall when the movie Highlander came out somewhere in 1984, I loved the movie and was captivated by the song, "It's a kind of magic," When I was just a little kid, the movie 'Flash Gordon,' with the legendary 'ming the mercyless,' also captivated me. The title song was by Queen....
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Double Dutch music video: Malcolm Mclaren
    I love this music video released in 1983 by Malcolm Mclaren for just so many reasons. It demonstrated to a global audience the sheer magic of the local South African sound at that time.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    A correlation: Music, Scripture, Legend and history…King Solomon’s mines will always ignite huge interest this globe over..
    I can appreciate why UB40 named their 1983 and 1989 albums Labour of Love 1 and labour of Love 2, because it’s just that a labour of true love. To appreciate Reggae you’ll have a profound love for the history, mythology, Scripture and legends..
    King Solomon and sexual healing!( The legend of the ring!) “ We’ll share the shelter of my single bed.”
    If law school has taught me anything, it’s taught me to avoid a proliferation of the collateral issues, break down various arguments until the issue in dispute glare at you from that word document and have conclusions that can be logically reconciled with the premises that it’s based upon. I’ve researched this issue extensively for more than 15 years! Whilst, I hold google in high regard, i’m old school, so University library book research has been my point of departure..
    “And baby, I can't hold it much longer, It's getting stronger and stronger. And when I get that feeling I want Sexual Healing. Sexual Healing, oh baby, makes me feel so fine
    Helps to relieve my mind. Sexual Healing baby, is good for me
    Sexual Healing is something that's good for me.Baby I got sick this morning
    A sea was storming inside of me. Baby I think I'm capsizing. The waves are rising and rising and when I get that feeling. I want Sexual Healing
    Sexual Healing is good for me, makes me feel so fine, it's such a rush
    Helps to relieve the mind, and it's good for us, sexual Healing, baby, it's good for me
    Sexual Healing is something that's good for me, and it's good for me and it's so good to me. My baby ohhh…” Sexual healing Marvin Gaye

King Solomon is common to Judaism, Christianity, Islam and Rastafarianism. Since I’m Christian by faith, the Bible will always be my logical point of departure.

The issue in dispute: Did King Solomon father a child by a mythical Queen Sheba? Did King Solomon have a unique ring(which found it’s way to the very hand of Bob Marley)?
    The Bible itself does not specifically mention that King Solomon fathered a son with Queen Sheba nor does it say that he have sexual relations with her. The Bible neither confirms nor denies this. The point of departure will simply then have to be opinion based on logical deduction and inference. Clues from the Bible itself, popular legend, pseudo histories, mythologies and Israel official view on Ethiopian Jews help to draw an inference. That said, the anecdotal evidence is overwhelming.
    Marvin Gayes sexual healing is putting it very mildly when it comes to the Biblical King Solomon’s sexual needs! King Solomon had seven hundred wives and three hundred concubines, . (1Kings 11:3. Both 1 Kings 10:13 and 2 Chronicles 9:12 say that “King Solomon gave the queen of Sheba all she desired and asked for.” 2 Chronicles 9:12 adds that he gave her more than she had brought to him. ‘m of the opinion that King Solomon did father a child with the legendary Queen of Sheba, that he did give her a ring to give her son and further that there is a blood line(consanguinity as we call it in the law of succession) between Kind Solomon and Ethiopia). King Solomon had a thing for women, the Bible confirms this
    "But King Solomon loved many strange women, together with the daughter of Pharaoh, women of the Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Zidonians, and Hittites; Of the nation which the Lord said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall not go into them, neither shall they come in unto you: for surely they will turn your heart after their gods: Solomon clave unto these in love." (1Kings 11:1-2)
    “The queen of Sheba has been called a variety of names by different peoples in different times. To King Solomon of Israel she was the Queen of Sheba. In Islamic tradition she was called Bilqis or Balqis by the Arabs, who say she came from the city of Sheba, also called Mareb, in Yemen or Arabia Felix. The Roman historian Josephus calls her Nicaule. The Ethiopian people claim her as Makeda or Maqueda. She is thought to have been born sometime in the 10th century BC.The Qur'an, the central religious text of Islam, mentions the kingdom of the Queen by name (Sheba) in the 34th Chapter. Arab sources name her Balqis, Bilqis or BilquisThe Qur'an, the central religious text of Islam, mentions the kingdom of the Queen by name (Sheba) in the 34th Chapter. Arab sources name her Balqis, Bilqis or Bilquis.”
    Again, my point of departure will be stricture and only what the Bible itself says, I must emphasize this! That said it’s noteworthy what the Rastafarians ‘Kebra Negast’ says
    “And the Queen rejoiced, and she went forth in order to depart, and the King set her on her way with great pomp and ceremony. And SOLOMON took her aside so that they might be alone together, and he took off the ring that was upon his little finger, and he gave it to the Queen, and said unto her, "Take [this] so that thou mayest not forget me. And if it happen that I obtain seed from thee, this ring shall be unto it a sign; and if it be a man child he shall come to me; and the peace of God be with thee! (Chapter:31).”
    26 may 1991, “Israel fell into joyous celebration tonight as the Government announced the successful conclusion of an emergency airlift of 14,500 Ethiopian Jews, nearly the entire Jewish population, in just under 36 hours.” No one knows with any certainty the origins of Ethiopia's Jews, but it is clear that they observe the faith the way it was practiced before the First Temple was destroyed 2,500 years ago. They know nothing of the rabbinical teachings, Talmudic scholarship or other refinements that have been added to Judaism since then.According to their own legend, the Ethiopians are descendants of the progeny of King Solomon, who built the First Temple, and the Queen of Sheba. Other scholars believe they are a part of the lost tribe of Dan.In 1973, the Sephardic Chief Rabbi of Israel recognized the Ethiopians as Jews, allowing them to immigrate here.” “Operation Solomon airlifted almost twice as many Ethiopian Jews to Israel as Operation Moses. The operation set a world record for single-flight passenger load on May 24, 1991 when an El Al 747 carried 1,122 passengers to Israel (1,087 passengers were registered, but dozens of children hid in their mothers' robes.”
    World War 2: “In 1896 Italy was defeated by a poorly armed Ethiopia. Bob Marley depicts this batter on the double sleeve of the vinyl record ‘Confrontation’Mussolini talked of avenging this humiliation, but the rest of the world saw his 1935 adventure for what it was - naked aggression against an almost defenceless state. In November 1935, thousands of Italian troops accompanied by even more native colonial "Askari" troops crossed into Tigrai from Eritrea in the north under the command of Field Marshal De Bono, an elderly and cautious officer who planned to progress slowly into the Empire. They were quickly followed by similar forces from Italian Somaliland in the south and east commanded by Marshal Graziani.”

"Is This Love" Bob Marley

I wanna love you and treat you right;
    I wanna love you every day and every night:
    We'll be together with a roof right over our heads;
    We'll share the shelter of my single bed;
    We'll share the same room, yeah! - for Jah provide the bread.
    Is this love - is this love - is this love -
    Is this love that I'm feelin'?
    I wanna know - wanna know - wanna know now!
    I got to know - got to know - got to know now!

I'm willing and able,
    So I throw my cards on your table!
    I wanna love you - I wanna love and treat - love and treat you right;
    We'll be together, yeah! - with a roof right over our heads;
    We'll share the shelter, yeah, - of my single bed;
    We'll share the same room, yeah! - for Jah provide the bread.

Wo-o-o-oah! Oh yes, I know; yes, I know - yes, I know now!
    Yes, I know; yes, I know - yes, I know now!

I'm willing and able,
    So I throw my cards on your table!
    See: I wanna love ya, I wanna love and treat ya -
    love and treat ya right.
    We'll be together, with a roof right over our heads!
    We'll share the shelter of my single bed;
    We'll share the same room, yeah! Jah provide the bread.
    We'll share the shelter of my single bed.”

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BOBRINGofSolomon.jpg 
Views:	2156 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	2514Name:  bob-marley-ring.jpg
Views: 3092
Size:  10.1 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	BobMarley-Confrontation.jpg 
Views:	645 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	2516Name:  LION_OF_JUDAH_IN_GOLD_85171356_std.jpg
Views: 3060
Size:  15.7 KB

Last edited by Citizen X; 03-May-12 at 08:34 PM.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Bob Marley
    Duppy Conqueror

Even as a kid I realised that there was much more to Reggae music than it’s moving music. Every single song had some form of historical, religious or mythological significance. The implication was that it ignited a need to know and understand, a real learning process. At the time, the mid 80’s the problem that this posed was apparent, no google! So one had to rely on fellow reggae lovers understanding and interpretation. This simply didn’t cut it for me so I resolved to buy Timothy white’s book , Catch a fire: The life of Bob Marley,” To date this book remains the point of departure for placing individual Marley songs into proper historical, religious and mythological context.
    The concept of ghosts and evil spirits ignite interest in all communities. Our South African culture is not without it’s own ‘ghosts.’
    In Jamaican folklore, the Jamaica that Marley knew, such spirits are referred to as duppy, “Duppy is a Jamaican Patois word of Northwest African origin meaning ghost or spirit.Much of Caribbean folklore revolves around duppies. Duppies are generally regarded as malevolent spirits.”
    You simply cannot separate popular opinion or popular legend from Reggae. “It’s impossible.” In law we refer to this as ‘facts of notoriety.’
    Bob Marley
    Duppy Conqueror

“Yes me friend, me friend
    We deh 'pon street again
    Yes me friend, me good friend
    Dem SET ME free again

The jail bars could not hold me
    Force could not control me
    They tried to keep me down
    But Jah put I around

Yes I've been accused, many times
    And wrongly abused now
    But through the powers of the Most High
    They've got to turn me loose

Don't try to CUT ME OFF on this bridge now
    I' ve got to reach Mt. Zion
    So if you a BULLBUCKA, let me tell you this
    I'm a duppy conqueror, conqueror

Yes me friend, me good frend
    We deh'pon street again
    Yes me friend me good friend
    Dem say we free again

Don't try to CUT ME OFF on this bridge now
    Ive got to reach Mt. Zion
    So if you a BULLBUCKA, let me tell you this
    I'm a duppy conqueror, conqueror.”

Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Some music can never be appreciated by it's mere poetic potency on paper..it needs to be enjoyed...some good memories with Inner City and 'Big Fun,'
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    I love the Shadows and the Beatles for just so many reasons...The Shadows 'Cosy' takes me on a trip..without any drugs..
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    I think the time has come to cremate this ‘old school music is cool,’ thread and scatter the ashes!This thread started with Clarence Carter’s, ‘I got caught making love to another man’s wife,’ so it’s only appropriate that it should end with this song.
    Gentle people I give you ‘I got caught making love to another man’s wife”

Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Ub40: Version Girl(Ali Campbell with Astro ‘toasting,’)
    I’ve decided to revisit this ‘old school music is cool,’ thread simply because old school music is actually very cool! While artists may get old and eventually die, their music never gets old and never dies. There’s something about music that can never be ‘moot,’ or academic or appreciated on paper by simply being awe struck by the potent lyrics. Music is meant to be enjoyed! That said, I want to delve deeply into the song ‘version girl,’ by UB40...
    Version Girl was one of the songs of Labour of Labour 1(1983). The lyrics I’m providing you with cannot be found anywhere on this planet in cyberspace except for right here. The ‘versions’ you’ll find on the internet don’t include Astro’s toasting to this song. The lyrics that I provide you with does however include Astro’s toasting. This single song is so profound in musical history. Thi sis not merer hyperbole! If I put it succinctly, it’s a masterpiece!
    Some elaboration:
    Astro toasts lyrics in the song version girl with Ali Campbell. Terence Wilson (born 24 June 1957 Birmingham, England) is a musician, rapper, and toaster, better known by his stage name, Astro, who has been part of the English Reggae band UB40 since it was founded in 1978.
    “Toasting is a style of lyrical chanting which, in Dancehall music, involves a deejay talking over a rhythm. Toasting became quite popular in Jamaica in the late 1960s and early 1970s. The song ‘version girl’ is a love song which mentions many artists: Uroy, james Brown(in particular his bridge technique!), Prince Buster, Pioneers, Maytals, Bunny Lee and Al Laurence.
    Now in reggae, you allowed to create your own words! ‘Discursion,’
    Astro: “Version with discursion from the top of this backing track, umh, As Bunny Lee the Aggro-man would say, 'hit me back for days and extra days,' Al Laurence would say, 'ooh boo ska boo,' all lovers would say who rhythm and black its very sad alright take five.”
    There’s no word in the dictionary called ‘discursion.’ There is however a word called ‘discursive.’ Discursive means a style of writing or speaking, moving from one word to another without any strict structure.
    1. “U-Roy (born Ewart Beckford, 21 September 1942, Jones Town, Jamaica),[1] OD, is a Jamaican musician, also known as The Originator. He is best known as a pioneer of toasting.”
    2.”Cecil Bustamente Campbell, O.D. (born 28 May 1938), better known as Prince Buster, and also known by his Muslim name Muhammed Yusef Ali, is a musician from Kingston, Jamaica. He is regarded as one of the most important figures in the history of ska and rocksteady music.”3.”The Pioneers are a Jamaican reggae vocal trio, whose main period of success was in the 1960s. The trio has had different line-ups, and still occasionally performs.”
    4.”Maytals, originally called simply The Maytals, are a Jamaican musical group and one of the best known ska and reggae vocal groups. According to Sandra Brennan at Allmusic, "The Maytals were key figures in reggae music. Formed in the early 1960s when ska was hot, the Maytals had a reputation for having strong, well-blended voices and a seldom-rivaled passion for their music. Frontman Hibbert's soulful style led him to be compared to Otis Redding."
    5.”Edward O'Sullivan Lee, better known as Bunny "Striker" Lee (born 23 August 1941) is a prominent, prolific and successful record producer best known for his work in the 1960s and 1970s.”
    Astro:”Take it to the middle, take to middle, take it to the bridge, take it to the bridge as James Brown would say all right, mmm-mm bridge”
    A bridge is a part of a song which connects a verse or chorus to another verse or chorus in the same song
    James Brown:"Bobby! Should I take 'em to the bridge? Take 'em to the bridge? (Go 'head!) hit me now! Come on! Stay on the scene, a-like a sex machine.”
    “Since most of James Brown's earlier studio recordings were done live with almost no rehearsal time, he often gave directions to the band in-song e.g. "take it to the bridge" - the bridge of the song. Plant pays tribute to this at the end by asking "Where's that confounded bridge?" (spoken, just as the song finishes abruptly since the song doesn't contain a bridge).”
    Gentle people: I give you the complete lyrics of ‘version girl,’(I’ve included 2 videos, 1 is the earliest studio take, which like all studio takes is as real as it can get, 1 is the original polished version.
    Astro: Version with discursion from the top of this backing track, umh, As Bunny Lee the Aggro-man would say, 'hit me back for days and extra days,' Al Laurence would say, 'ooh boo ska boo,' all lovers would say who rhythm and black its very sad alright take five
    Ali Cambell: Version Girl, what's your name? Oh you come and you go,(Astro:Like the morning sun)
    Version Girl, what's your name?
    Just like the morning sun.

Astro:So you’ve had your fun(while Ali sings ‘version girl,’ and just before Ali sings ‘Just like the morning sun’)
    Astro and Ali: It's so hard to find a personality with charms like yours for me.

Astro:Ooh wee, ooh wee, U-roy would say, bow wow wow wow ahh
    Ali: Version girl, Don't you know I long to say.
    Astro:At the same time while Ali sings “Version girl, Don't you know I long to say.”
    Astro:Whats your name, it Mary, Sue, or Elaine?

Ali:Version Girl, what's your name? Version girl, don’t you know I love you so
    It's so hard to find a personality with charms like yours for me
    Astro:Take it to the middle, take to middle, take it to the bridge, take it to the bridge as James Brown would say all right, mmm-mm bridge

Ali:I’m still waiting while my shoes for you get worn out so my heart would be satisfied. So please let me be your number one. Astro: At the same time: Prince Buster would say 'big five??? I feel like it tonight'

Under the moon, under the stars and under the sun.

Ali:I sit in the sun waiting for you to come along
    So my heart will be satisfied
    So please let me be your number one
    Under the moon, under the stars and under the sun.

Astro:Prince Buster would say 'big five??? I feel like it tonight'

Astro: Mmm, yeah, you're so sexy, you're so nice, you make me feel alright, oh version girl!

Astro:The Pioneers would say, 'Starvation to the nation', all right

The Maytals, 'Peeping Tom all about the farm, farm'

Bunny Lee, my man, you came to see the Aggro-man is here, roo boo ska boo,Al Laurence on the sight, make you feel all right, ah yeah!
    Version girl you come and go Like the morning sun Like the morning sun,
    Ali:Version girl
    Like the morning sun, so you've had your fun
    Its so hard to find a personality with charms like your for me!“
    I sit in the sun waiting for you to come along,
    So my heart will be satisfied.
    So please let me be your number one,
    Under the moon, under the stars and under the sun.”

Video 1: version girl: studio version

Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    In 1969, the Beatles gave an unannounced concert on the rooftop of the Apple Building. One of the songs, ‘don’t let me down,’ was performed. This was the Beatles and in particular John Lennon uncut, live and at his very best. John Lennon wrote the song, ‘don’t let me down,’ for Yoko Ono

Click here
    sabbaticus