Thread: Pre-Paid electricity @ R2.03/Unit

Email problem
    Thanks

Angry Pre-Paid electricity @ R2.03/Unit

Good day all,

In September our owner/landlady installed pre-paid meters to all the units here (www.metermate.co.za). The problem that we all here sitting is that we pay a flat rate of R2.03 an unit of electricity e.g. for R100.00 we only get 49.3units. Its the same rate does not matter what date of the month it is e.g. 1st, 5th 20th or 30th.

I did some research and we are only suppose to pay max ±R1.73 per unit after the first 600 (speaking under correction) units were consumed. People in the same area here pay R100.00 and get ± 80units.

Is there any where that I can report this "fraud" and get it sorted out a.s.a.p. Yes I did speak to the owner/landlady and she keeps on saying that's the rate and she does not make profit on the units (which I doubt)

Regards
    Slowmow

Area - Sunnyridge Germiston

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    In which municipal area are you in, and do you purchase the units from her directly or from a corner vendor?
    What does the voucher say, ESKOM or Erkhurulene or UNIPIN?
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Email problem
    Thanks
    Does not matter where I buy the units from. Tried the corner shop, garages, Pick 'n Pay, Hyperama, Spar. All give me 49.3 units for R100.00. The last ones say ESKOM on it.

Email problem
    Thanks
    I'm in Sunnyridge Germiston close to Primrose

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It seems you may be under Ekhurulene, who are charging a lot higher than the other municipalities due to their past account inefficiencies.

I looked under the ESKOM list of areas they cover, and yours is not in their list. If you are purchasing vouchers, then the rates you are getting are coming directly from the municipality. The vendors have no way of changing this, as the sale is generated at the municipal servers, and the printed voucher done at the pay point is from the information it has received from the municipal servers.

I suspect that the last lot you purchased may be from a vendor whose systems are not set up according to the municipalities requirements, and simply print ESKOM as a generic invoice title.

Just a little inside info on Ekhurulene. They do not give a discount to us as service providers for their services, and simply give us 75c for each sale , irrespective of the amount purchased, R10, or R500. This makes for bad business to service providers, who pay 1% banking charges for cash deposits, and are required to maintain a credit balance for the day or weekend trading, since you can only load during business hours, and at the same time pay for business running expenses. So a substantial investment to not even get peanuts in return. So selling in your area may create innovative ways to have a ROI.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Suspended
    Thanks
    and i dont feel even a little guilty for my free water...the buety about having free water is nobody ever gets suspicious...because there is no monthly amount which could go high or low its just free every month...just need to get my free electricty (pre paid) 60 kw free then i am home free.

by the way my water has been off for a week again(theoretically) but this time not due to none payment i dont have that problem anymore...but i do have a new problem...because i get free water...to get the department to respond to my no water request is a whole new ball game...all i can say is thank goodness i make alternate arrangements for water.
    Last edited by murdock; 07-Jan-12 at 05:38 PM.

Email problem
    Thanks
    So there is nothing I can do to report the ridiculous high price per unit?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Check this out, it should give you an explanation to the charges, albeit an old article by the municipality dated January 2011.