For a few months now I have been experiencing random earth leakage problems - earth leakage switch tripping for no apparent reason. For a while it appeared to be both random trips and when plugging in a charger power brick for a laptop.

I have now spent several thousand rands on replacing all sorts of things based on advice from sparkles, eg gate motor, pool pump, all day/night switches, plus I have had the garage/workshop rewired with a new DB and own earth leakage breaker because some of the problems occurred when the garage lights were switched on each day! Each of these faults was detected using a 'megger' (?).

Interestingly I find that this still occurs BUT still trips in the house and not at the new EL breaker, despite all the feed from the house now via the new switch.

I cannot find a sparky who can get me past this point.

I understand that the combined effect of power bricks and ups units (I have several ups units powering essential systems in the office) can create a background earth leakage level that makes the el breaker trip at very low additional el loads?

I would appreciate some diagnostic advice as this is now driving me nuts!