Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle and driver licence renewals

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Vehicle and driver licence renewals

I'm wondering what it is going to take to get my driver's licence renewed. And I've got a notion that I'm going to have to deal with some motor licence renewals shortly too.

Apparently this new eNaTiS licencing program is causing havoc and there was a quick comment on the news this morning that we should avoid going to licencing centres until the problem is cleared up.

Now I'm pretty sure that no-one goes to these centres on a whim. In fact, we normally have a pretty good reason.

I have a couple of questions:
    Nearly a month ago I was told that our local licencing centre was open for emergency applications only. Please define what constitutes an emergency application?

Is it reasonable that renewing a driver's licence should be an all day (and by some accounts a two or more day) experience?

Are any concessions being considered for people that have been caught out by the repeated break-down of this new system?

I'm hearing horror stories of how long it takes to get "processed" at the moment from people who have stuck it out to the end. I wonder how many have just walked away because they don't have the time to sit in queues all day?

Thanks
    I have two thoughts on this,

1) Any licenses etc. which have lapsed in the last 3-6 months should be considered to "okay" until after the system is fixed, and for some period after that (as their will be a backlog).

2) No IT person/engineer/etc. in their right mind would do this type of sweeping change over in one day. There should always be a parallel system running with a slow change over. The old system should probably also run as a parallel backup for a time period after a change over to allow for service if something does go wrong. It highlights that there are probably lack of skills or experience in implementing the system, which is very disturbing.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I see that M&G are carrying a story here
    Technicians were to work through Monday night in a bid to fix the country's new electronic national traffic information system (eNaTIS), officials said.

National Department of Transport spokesperson Collen Msibi said work on the system took longer than expected, preventing centres from opening throughout the country on Monday. "The server has been installed. Technicians will work through the night on the communication between the server and the data system."

On Monday morning, the department said driver's-licence testing centres across the country would be closed until lunch time as a new server was being installed.

Msibi could not say when work would be completed. He said Transport Minister Jeff Radebe would make an announcement on the matter on Tuesday. "We urge members of the public to wait for the minister's announcement before they go to testing centres."

He said the new server was ordered last week after the department had identified the problem in the new electronic system.

Backlogs, technical glitches and shaky, slow systems have been reported at testing stations around the country since the system was introduced last month.

Msibi said problems were caused by the current server capacity. "It [the installation] is going to clear up the problems."

The registration of new vehicles had been a large problem, he said.

Last week, the Cabinet called on the country to be patient while the problems with the system were being ironed out.

Thanks

Be patient!

How often are we told to be patient for one reason or another? Someone should start a database of all these "be patients" - electricity supply, licenses, ID books, passports, building permits (these take so long in Durban that after waiting for six months builders are now just going ahead and building), road repairs; hell, the list just goes on and on and on.....................................
    Last edited by Graeme; 08-May-07 at 07:49 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    How about traffic lights. I have to go through a really busy intersection every working day that goes on the blink at the slightest hint of moisture. It's been like that for a couple of years. Not that the taxis and buses pay much attention even when they're working...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I see news is that the system is "back on track". I assume at some point it was on track, then

As for any "issues" the system may have caused...
    Backlogs, technical problems and slow systems have been reported at traffic centres, particularly the busier stations, since the start of the upgrading of the old national transport information system to eNaTIS on April 12.

Radebe said that fines issued relating to vehicle licences that expired during the difficult period will be treated on merit and considered for cancellation.
    full story from M&G here
    Hmm. Nothing about driver licence issues....

Thanks
    Except after the statement from Radabe eNews went to Randburg licensing department and it was still closed due to system problems....
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Was at the place the other day the system is back on track all up and running.

Wonder for how long thou
    Wellinformed.co.za - Networking Forums SA partner site. Let's support each other for a better South Africa.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    How long were the queues?

Silver Member
    Thanks
    pretty long i have to admit. 6 rows long.

If you go early its usually ok, last time i went to renew my license it was on a tuesday at about 2:15, toke me 10 min to do.

But that was some time ago.
    Wellinformed.co.za - Networking Forums SA partner site. Let's support each other for a better South Africa.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.