Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When should I stop?

Email problem
    Thanks

When should I stop?

Hi all,

Doing walk-in cold calling marketing looking for new business. Handing out business cards, getting one from each company I've been to etc

My question:

Can this still be done NOW with everyone in the festive mood & companies closing?

When should I stop? 15 Dec? 22 Dec?

I don't want to walk around and 3 out of 5 businesses are closed for the holidays.

Any tips guys?

Some people said I must continue doing it until the 22nd.

Thank you

Thanks
    I would stop on the 15th most businesses close or go onto skelton staff by then.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

3. Thanks given for this post:

Perform Computers (07-Dec-11)

Email problem
    Thanks
    That leaves a week. You guys rate it's worth it for one week?

Thanks
    According to me you should stop on 15 Dec because they are closed due to Christmas.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    probably not, as you say people have other things on their mind.

Just an idea though, not sure if I should bring this up. Your website says you design websites, but yours is designed by another company - I am guessing the website building is outsourced?

Also they did not give you much of a title, description or keywords

meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
    <title>Perform Computers</title>
    <meta name="keywords" content="" />
    <meta name="description" content="" />

7. Thanks given for this post:

Perform Computers (07-Dec-11)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Website was done for free by another company. We outsource web designing to them.

Perform Computers does everything ( just like any IT company ), but I specialize in networking, servers & security.

Guys, thx for all the input.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Perform Computers View Post
    Hi all,

Doing walk-in cold calling marketing looking for new business. Handing out business cards, getting one from each company I've been to etc
    What a complete waste of time! Who is doing the work while you are walking around like this?

Door to door cold calling is like ancient spam. Your success rate is less than 1.7% and you risk alienating the very prospect that you want to sell to. It is rude and unprofessional to just drop in and expect people to support you on the spur of the moment. You also may not be able to talk to the decision makers and next time the PA will filter your call and deprive you of an opportunity to do a presentation.

There are better ways of getting business. Do prospecting and learn more about your target market. Who are most likely to use your services? What problem can you solve for them? Can you get an introduction via an existing satisfied customer? Relationship marketing is much more effective and will assure you a success rate of around 10%. (still hard work, but better than 1.7%)

So spend this time while people are holidaying doing research into your market and set up a marketing plan with a purpose and specific targets. A shotgun approach is not going to work.

Good luck with your business.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Monsieur,... long time no see. I agree with Ian, no point in trying to chase new business past the 15th.

Perhaps place an ad in one of the online papers and offer a discounted service rate to home users over the silly season while the companies are closed.

And I'm guessing we are overdue for that coffee? I am fully scheduled until the 23rd, so just after Christmas?
    "If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you."

11. Thanks given for this post:

Perform Computers (08-Dec-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    What a complete waste of time! Who is doing the work while you are walking around like this?

Door to door cold calling is like ancient spam. Your success rate is less than 1.7% and you risk alienating the very prospect that you want to sell to. It is rude and unprofessional to just drop in and expect people to support you on the spur of the moment. You also may not be able to talk to the decision makers and next time the PA will filter your call and deprive you of an opportunity to do a presentation.
    Blurock, if those are your stats, you probably should work on your technique

(or in other words) You're making a lot of assumptions about Perform Computer's cold calling strategy.

13. Thanks given for this post:

Perform Computers (08-Dec-11)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Blurock,

My 2nd biggest client has been procured through a mere cold call. It was a Friday afternoon & I just wanted to get the cold calling over with. So I walked into this company, introduced myself, and dropped off a business card. The boss wasn't even there. That Monday I got a call saying they needed IT help & 3 months later they agreed to an SLA of R999 p/m

I understand where you coming from, I really do. I merely just drop a business card off & take one after doing a quick, "We're so & so & this is what we do. If you need help, feel free to give us a call".

Thereafter I do the follow up etc

& yes, I am alone for now, but isn't that how most people started out? When the work load gets too much, I sub contract out. Like when cabling needs to get done, I get someone to do it while I meet with the owner or decision maker & discuss future business or support.

I merely asked because I don't know everything, & isn't it the purpose of this forum to have the freedom to ask for help without being prosecuted? PC's, networking & security I know, but business advice in certain areas I don't, hence me being on this forum to learn from those who know better.

I know you don't approve of cold calling, and yes, there are much better ways to market a person's company. But if you don't have the budget then going old school with hard work is the only way. I guess everyone has their own way of harvesting clients.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast