Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When should I stop?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    @performcomputers I do apologise if you feel that I have offended you. I merely tried to point out the ineffective results of door to door cold calling.

Most of the replies on an American forum has indicated that a 1.7% hit rate is too high. (also mentioned on TFSA). I define cold calling as walking door to door and hoping for a hit. This was done in earlier days by insurance agents, salespeople for encyclopaedias, vacuum cleaners etc. The Americans started with the concept and the gurus said that in order to get a sale, you just had to see more people. We have all had unsolicited phone calls inviting you to some obscure "presentation" where they sell time share or holidays.

Why are they not doing it any more? Because of consumer resistance, but also because they have realised that there are better ways to reach people to sell your product.

I am not an expert, but I deal with a number of businesses and observe what they do. Following best practices in the various industries is a good way to learn what works and what not. I am sure the Forum members will have some good advice on how to grow your business.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Perform Computers View Post
    ...I merely asked because I don't know everything, & isn't it the purpose of this forum to have the freedom to ask for help without being prosecuted? PC's, networking & security I know, but business advice in certain areas I don't, hence me being on this forum to learn from those who know better...
    I see Blurock has already replied, but I'd like to add a bit more.

1) Sometimes the tone of a forum post can be misunderstood. Its easier when speaking to someone as you can see body language, facial expressions and voice tone. That doesn't always come across in the written form. In this case he was trying to be helpful, but perhaps it came across as being condescending.

2) Sometimes a thread can go off on a tangent. It may be started with a question, but then someone might see the situation in a whole new light. That person will throw in their opinion even though it does not directly answer the OP, like in this case. As long as its related, I believe thats great as its always beneficial to get a different view. Think of it as a type of brain storming. You can always ignore those posts if you disagree and focus on those that answer your question specifically. I find this to be one of the best features of an online forum.

So please carry on asking, but don't take the responses personally. Even if they are a bit off topic (like this post) they might help other readers who view your post with similar queries.

Now to be clear, this is posted in the tone of a suggestion and clarification. It is not intended to be mocking or like a school master. I hope it didn't come across that way

3. Thank given for this post:

Blurock (09-Dec-11), Dave A (08-Dec-11), wynn (09-Dec-11)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I personally do not mind a person cold calling at all, as long as the rep isn't too pushy and the products they sell match the shops. Just thinking about it, my second and third biggest suppliers by R's both cold called initially and both have received orders this year of well over R150K.

I wish I had the nuts to do it myself TBO, it's one of the many skills I am missing.

Suspended
    Thanks
    I think it also depends on what business you are doing. In my business it is the busiest period of the year right up to Christmas with company's closing etc and they need security. Granted this end of year was slower, but it has now picked up. I am working right up the the 21st then I am outa here.

Suspended
    Thanks
    just from a different angle...if i were you i would find out which companies close on which day and use the opitunity to drop off small gifts to improve customer relations with exsisitng customers...no matter how small just the fact that you thought about them makes all the difference...and as the kak economy brings less christmas gifts...getting out there and just letting people know that you have thought about them could make your new year a more successfull one.

i have tried cold calling on numerous occassion.....maybe i didnt put in enough effort or really bad at it...but my success rate has been very small...in fact i can only think of 2 jobs...and both i worked my butt off for a little money.

however i have found that being part of social groups...not internet....running clubs....cycling...canoeing...fishing clubs etc bring in the most bussiness from my personal experience...i have lost more customers to this type of marketing than any other....and gained more customers than any other.

be friendly and let people know what you do...offer a free service to the club and get in with the commitee and boy you never look back...all my biggest contracts have come from doing this and the longest running contracts.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Good idea Murdock. Relationship marketing brings you at least 10 times the results of cold calling.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12