Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Android programming

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Diamond Member
    Thanks

Android programming

Is there anybody here that knows his / her way around programming for Android devices?

Thanks
    I've only just started hahaha. Got a triangle to rotate on the screen. Nice that they used java though.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I bought a Galaxy Tab 10.1 off Gumtree for R4K a couple of days ago. I'm looking to do a couple of things myself for my own use like cost estimators etc. I installed Eclipse and everything that goes with it but I can't get the AVP to run. i've also tried to install the Galaxy Tab AVP without much success. Maybe its be cause i installed Android 3.1...I'll try Android 4 and see what happens.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Is there anybody here that knows his / her way around programming for Android devices?
    This is something that interests me as well. If you come across a nice tutorial, please share it.
    "Fortune favours the bold" - Virgil
    Riaan Nel
    Freelance Software Development | LinkedIn | Skype

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    It also seems like the Galaxy isn't charging when its connected via USB to the PC...Any ideas?

Thanks
    I bought a Galaxy Tab 10.1 off Gumtree for R4K a couple of days ago. I'm looking to do a couple of things myself for my own use like cost estimators etc. I installed Eclipse and everything that goes with it but I can't get the AVP to run. i've also tried to install the Galaxy Tab AVP without much success. Maybe its be cause i installed Android 3.1...I'll try Android 4 and see what happens.
    I take it you are trying to use the tutorial to install the AVD given on the android SDK website: http://developer.android.com/sdk/ecl...tml#installing

I also had an interesting time with eclipse. you don't need to download the SDK from the android site. you can just use the ADT plugin and get the AVD up and going to get the files.
    go to settings and about device. it will tell you your android version. there's no point in guessing what version it is =P

It also seems like the Galaxy isn't charging when its connected via USB to the PC...Any ideas?
    that could be your drivers if you're connected to an XP PC. Make sure it gives you the dialogue "drivers installed successfully"
    other searches point towards the device needing to be off during the charging phase because of the power constraints on USB.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I've got it running on the emulator and the device itself. It sure is going to take quite a bit of reading to get to know the API's and stuff.

Have you managed to find a half decent database? I'm using a thing called Memento that isn't particularly bright.

Thanks
    if I remember correctly, android uses SQLite. android.database.sqlite

Suspended
    Thanks
    I have also got the galaxy tab 10.1 .................. was difficult starting off, but the best machine I have ever bought. I am not computer literate with terms etc but have learnt a lot .............. if I can help - just ask a question but in laymans terms . Join the Galaxy forum - if you have a question post it or read what other people ask.

I very seldom connect it to the pc therefore charge it direct. Look at getting dropbox on your pc and for photo transfer you have to have Kies.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Ok, I've now got a bunch of nice apps loaded:

Ultimate To-Do List ( Really nice To Do List app)
    My Data (Nice and simple database with relational table links)
    ConvertPad (Unit converter)
    Droid48 (HP 48 calculator - I can't operate non-RPN calculators at all)
    Tape-a-Talk (Nice little dictaphone app)
    ES File Explorer (Absolutely brilliant file manager - allows you to moe files directly between the Galaxy and the other machines on the network - looks as if you are working in Windows Explorer---also handles FTP)
    Thinking Space (Cool mind mapper)
    QR Droid (QR Code reader)

The last thing I need now is an app that allows me to set up calculations and stick them on the home screen. I don't want to go and open a spreadsheet all the time. More like a little front end to the database. I have a database with materials, feeds, speeds and ticknesses for the laser. I also have tables with material sheet costs. All I want to do is to create a little calculator to show cost based on material size, thickness and cut length....and I really don't want to learn all there is to learn about Android programming to do it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast