Thread: Vitamin\Mineral Suppliment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Platinum Member
    Thanks

Vitamin\Mineral Suppliment

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for some advice on what are good vitamin\minerals to take on a daily basis.

I not looking for an energy booster, but rather something that will help my body to function correctly under long hours and stress on a daily basis if that makes any sense!

Thanks,

Thanks
    Any brand-name multivitamin once every day or even two days is as good as it gets. There are risks involved, it's surprisingly easy to overdose on iron for example which is very toxic in high doses. As for whether they do any good there's evidence both ways. I would take them if I thought I needed them but I'd rather eat a good diet.

3. Thanks given for this post:

AmithS (30-Nov-11)

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    I was listening to the Naked Scientist on 702 a week ago and apparently taking vitamins is one of the worse things you can do for yourself. He mentioned 2 different studies where scientists wanted to check the effectiveness of anti-oxidants on the prevention of cancer. In the one study, they had to abandon the study as the people receiving the vitamins was more than a 100% likely to get cancer than the control group. There was another study confirming this results.

I still wanted to some more research on this, but the thought crossed my mind whether our attachment to vitamin pills are a contrinuting cause to the incidence of cancer just escalating out of control? I believe the latest figure is something like 1 out of 3 people will get some form of cancer in their lifetime.

Edited: I just want to add that vitamin intake through diet does indeed seem to help with cancer prevention, whereas the risk was only with taking a pill. I don't know if this is true, I just thought it was very interesting.
    Sometimes the only transport available is a leap of faith

Thanks
    I too have fallen prey to the vitamin market. I taken vitamins religiously for several years. Initially centrum and then bestum. I was particularly stressed during this exam period so I found myself mesmerized by all the vitamin packages on the shelves. They seemed to say exactly what you want to hear i.e will improve your memory, concentration and vitality. I bought none and still functioned admirably in my exams. I agree that a well balanced diet is important

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.