Thread: static or dynamic ip address

Suspended
    Thanks

static or dynamic ip address

been doing some research....so i can complete my cctv installation and be able to view my cameras from anywhere on the net.

i want to be able to connect to my office which will be linked to the dvr...i am not sure if i should connect a 3/4 G modem or use the telkom router.

i want to be able to receive sms or an email if the alarm is activated....then view the cameras from my netbook which has a 3 G card in it...i do realise that the 3 g route would be more expensive.

some recommendations are that i use a router to avoid virus and other complications and that i should use a dynamic ip address?

what are your thoughts.

Thanks
    I always set up static ipaddresses for all pc's and servers on my routers. I have a very particular addressing scheme which just makes life easier as the network evolves. I also prefer it that way for managing security, permissions, exceptions etc.

Thanks
    I'm not so sure on the smsing, but for viewing you should probably go static since you will need to allow traffic through your router. It becomes a bit more difficult when the IP of the machine you're trying to reach keeps changing. The benefit of a router is normally the firewall that comes with it. All the machines coming out of your network look like they're coming from one IP.

Thanks
    You can connect an SMS unit to the alarm system, Thisis al determined by a IO board output on the alarm system... Basicly what happens is the same as the out put that goes to the siren, the sms unit will recieve a signal and then send the sms to a programed number.

Then as far as remote viewing goes, My recomendation is that you incorporate a uncapped ADSL line at the office (on DVR side) and there should be no issue connecting from a 3G unit connected to your notebook... In some instances we used to supply sustems that alow you to view via your sellphone