This last year or so I have learnt some painful lessons. I thought I could turn my life around and be a nice warm-hearted friendly "mommy"-type person. Well that's not working for me!!!

Lesson 1: There's a GOOD reason why people don't buy property in what I think they call a "cold-sell"... Friends of mine battled to sell their property, and I was looking to move to a bigger house. I thought their's was a good buy, so I offered to move in with an option to purchase over 9 months. They were in serious trouble (also going through a nasty divorce) and asked if I couldn't pay the deposit now, then I have 9 months to secure the bond. I know, I know, everyone warned me, but I believed nothing would go wrong. So I paid them the R200,000 cash, moved in, and... the first sh1t hit the fan when a geyser blew, and they (obviously still the owners of the house and the home owners insurance, which I was paying monthly) refused to repair it. Unfortunately (actually it was a blessing in disguise) I couldn't secure a bond in the 9 months. I moved out and demanded my money back. Well, they claim that I agreed (verbally) that, if the sale didn't go through, they would only pay me back once the house is actually sold. Not true, we agreed it would be within a reasonable period, that's all. Realistically, I know they used the money to clear their debts, and that they don't have the cash, but there are alternatives! I know the outstanding amount on their bond and the value of their house, and they could easily up their bond and still have it covered by the rental income of the property. Oh, and there is NO indication whatsoever that they are actually attempting to sell that house, nevermind maintain it! It's been 6 months since I moved out, which I reckon is a reasonable time, and I tried to call in a favour from a local attorney, to add muscle to my demand. damn, but since the amount is over R100,000, I need an attorney in Pretoria. Anyone know an attorney who would do this on a no win no fee basis? And come to think of it, shouldn't the debtor pay the attorney's fees anyway?

Lesson 2: Read the fine print! I entered into a contract with ADT security when I moved into that house. The salesman told me it was a 12 month contract, and I didn't bother to read the fine print during our 15 minute meeting. When I moved out, I gave ADT notice to terminate, thinking we were close to the end of the period anyway. Wake-up call! It was a 36 month contract! Now if I had moved somewhere where ADT could actually still provide me with a service, that wouldn't have been an issue. Except, the complex where I live does not allow anyone (not even armed response) easy access to any of the units, and my landlord refuses to let me install anything, not even a monitoring system. So basically, it is impossible for ADT to provide me with any service whatsoever. I tried explaining this to them, but they insist that my only options are the "mover's options", i.e. someone must take over my contract. Who? All my friends and family are already signed up with armed response, and I don't even know IF there are long term tenants in the previous house (for obvious reasons that communication channel is non-existent now). So I went through my contract with a fine tooth comb, only to discover: only ADT has the right to terminate the contract, and the customer can NEVER terminate it, not under any circumstances! So, while they cannot and have not been providing ANY service whatsoever, they are still entitled to my money. And they keep taking it every month. I have been to ABSA to stop the debit order (I have all the paperwork to show it was stopped), but lo and behold, last week ADT took not only the monthly contract fee, but also a licensing fee of R195! WTF for????? It's not my system, it belongs to the owners of that house! Anyway, so I've now put my complaint on hellopeter.com, and this morning I got a "standard" reply to say that someone will phone me before 11h00. If they give me the "mover's options" again, I am going to scream! An option implies that I have a choice, but I actually cannot choose any of those options, which means they are NOT options! I don't understand why they keep telling me it's impossible to terminate this contract... why? There is zero performance from their side, so why should I be held to this?

Lesson 3: ABSA is my next target, for letting that debit order go through! Apparently what I do with my account and my money, is no longer my choice??? Who are they to decide to honour a debit order after I had given them instruction NOT to?

I am so pissed off today! And I have decided that "warm and fuzzy" just doesn't work for me anymore. Apparently no one else out there believes in fairness and no one lives or operates according to any moral standard. So, the bitch is back!