Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Certified copy of an electronic document

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Went into Standard Bank the other day to open a new business account and was told they no longer accept docs certified by SAPS.
    Im not surprised and cant say I blame them but at the same time it is worrying that a Bank no longer trusts the people we rely on to uphold the law!
    Does anyone know whether other Banks have as similar stance?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The best one I heard in terms of not accepting proof of identity was the Motor Vehicle Licencing authorities not accepting drivers licences as proof of identity.

In theory they're the only issuing authority! Pretty sad when you can't trust (or verify) your own documentation

I know one of the things you have to watch for when having certified copies verified with the SAPS is that they use the right stamp for certified copies. Apparently it's not unusual for them to confuse the certified copy stamp with the statement made under oath stamp, and there is a material difference between the two.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I know one of the things you have to watch for when having certified copies verified with the SAPS is that they use the right stamp for certified copies. Apparently it's not unusual for them to confuse the certified copy stamp with the statement made under oath stamp, and there is a material difference between the two.
    Based on experience I can see how that can easily happen. Although in practice who ever actually reads the certifications? As long as its nice and official looking, you'd probably get by most times.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gac View Post
    Went into Standard Bank the other day to open a new business account and was told they no longer accept docs certified by SAPS.
    Im not surprised and cant say I blame them but at the same time it is worrying that a Bank no longer trusts the people we rely on to uphold the law!
    Does anyone know whether other Banks have as similar stance?
    This has been a common feature at all the banks for a few years now. Essentially they want to see all the originals and to certify the documents themselves. Its too easy to fake a certified copy stamp and there is no real way of checking. So its more an issue with the process than the police themselves.

But all this FICA stuff does is waste the time of the law abiding citizens. The syndicates still get past it with relative ease. Its a huge waste of time and effort.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Every time I go to the bank to do an enquiry, pick up a card or do a transaction, they make a copy of my ID document. What happens to all those copies? At this rate I must have been responsible for the deforestation of at least 1sq km. And then the banks have the audacity to call themselves green...!
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveob View Post
    The number of times I have needed a certified copy of my utilities account : which I receive via e-mail.

Printed 2 copies, off to the cop shop, here's the original, this is a copy, please certify.

Never had a problem and walked out with a stamped certified "copy" without so much as a question !!

Nothing illegal. They are certifying that the copy is in fact a copy of the other document. They are not certifying that the original is, in fact, an original unaltered document.

Only in Africa.
    I go one further. I now scan that stamped certified "copy" and mail it as .pdf to whoever wants it. They are just concerned with the date on the stamp. Not to be older than three months, then they are happy. So I do one for my ID every three months, hehe.
    ~Expenses will eat you alive! - My first Boss~

Thanks
    Yes - just like banks, people can also check a companies records on the CIPC website.

But regarding the certified copy issue, anyone read the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act? I recall a section regarding certification of an electronic record...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12