Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Submission of the PAYE bi-annual reconciliation - have I completed all steps?

Silver Member
    Thanks

Question Submission of the PAYE bi-annual reconciliation - have I completed all steps?

Hi,

So after a lot of sweat and frustration, I have completed the EMP501 on Easyfile and submitted it to SARS (I hope!). I am not sure whether this is the final step or whether there are more steps... (ie. should I not have used the reconciliation assistant somewhere?).

Here is what I have checked:

1) When I go to "Declaration" in Easyfile and I select 201108 for this employer, I get the following submission status:

This Employer already has a submission pending with SARS for the tax year selected.
    You will only be able to submit again, once the status of that submission is either
    ACCEPTED or REJECTED.
    You can check the status in the STATUS DASHBOARD in the Utilities

2) When I go to the "Status Dashboard" under "Utilities" in Easyfile, I get the following when I double click on the entity:

Certificate Status

Form Type - EMP501
    Status - SUBMITTED TO SARS

3) When I check on e-filing under "PAYE Maintenance", "Reconciliation Status" I get the following:

EMP501 Reconciliation - Validation Passed Your Reconciliation has been received. Please note that it typically takes 21 days to process the reconciliation where after you should receive correspondence from SARS. If your reconciliation balanced, you may proceed to issue IRP5/IT3(a) certificates to your employees
    Oct 30 2011

EMP601 Your request could not be processed at this time. Your request could not be processed at this time, please try again in 24 hours or contact the Call Centre.

EMP701 Your request could not be processed at this time. Your request could not be processed at this time, please try again in 24 hours or contact the Call Centre.

IRP/IT3a Reconciliation - Validation Passed Your Reconciliation has been received. Please note that it typically takes 21 days to process the reconciliation where after you should receive correspondence from SARS. If your reconciliation balanced, you may proceed to issue IRP5/IT3(a) certificates to your employees
    Oct 30 2011

4) When I go to "Dashboard" under "PAYE Maintenance" in e-filing, I get the following:

9999 : SARS does not have record of a processed EMP501 return with certificates for the selected Employer [xxxxxxxxxx] for the [201108] period. Please ensure you have completed your PAYE recon declaration by submitting an EMP501 return together with copies of your income tax certificates. After your EMP501 return has been processed you will be able to proceed to the next step of the Recon Assistant.

The information under 4) makes me think there are more steps to complete (and that I should use the Recon Assistant somewhere)?

(I have not felt this frustrated with a process in quite a while, as it feels like I don't really know what I should be doing ...Aaarrrrrggghhhh - There, now I feel better!)

Can someone please tell me whether I am done with the process or whether there are still other steps to complete?

Please help me.

Thank you very much.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like you're doing fine. The ball is currently in SARS's court.

I suggest sticking to E@syfile for tracking how SARS is going with the recon rather than bouncing between E@asyfile and E-filing.

The "page" to keep an eye on now in E@syfile is the PAYE dashboard. I've had it update within hours of submission, and if there is a problem, it is the starting point of fixing it.

What you want is all green lights

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	easyfile-paye-dashboard.JPG 
Views:	559 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	2207

If there are any red lights - start the recon assistant program to identify the problem and get instructions on how to solve it.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Thank you so much for your assistance.

So the lights only turns green after a few hours or so (and not immediately after submission)? And if they are green, I am done, but if there are red lights I must use the Recon Assistant to resolve the differences? And then resubmit until I have all green lights?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J7J View Post
    So the lights only turns green after a few hours or so (and not immediately after submission)?
    I wouldn't know for sure - I normally give at least an hour before I check. It might be immediate.

The main thing is if they're green you can breath easy. If any are red, you've probably got issues that need sorting out.

Unfortunately if there are red lights you might have to wait until SARS has done a little processing on their side before you can resubmit. My experience is normally this can take a couple of days as they need to accept the submission before you can amend it. But as today is the deadline, there might be more of a delay than usual just at the moment due to the usual last minute rush.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Great - I just checked and I can see that the EMP501 has been processed by SARS, because the values are appearing on the Dashboard.

There is a difference though, for 2 reasons:

1) Employees for whom UIF contributions were made, but no PAYE were paid (below tax threshold). So IRP5 certificates were not generated for these employees. I tried to generate a IRP5 for an employee with no PAYE and it did not want to finalise the IRP5 because the codes 4101 and 4102 must have a value other than nil. Surely most employers have employees below the tax threshold and will have this issue as well, so what do you do in this case?

The above should have resulted in an UIF overpaid scenario on the reconcilation (more UIF paid than appearing on IRP5 certificates), but doesn't because of point 2)...

2) UIF was underdeclared for the period Mar 2011 to Sept 2011 (only employee's portion was declared - oops) and we realised this a few days ago and this will be rectified in the October 2011 EMP201 with the applicable interest and penalties that will be paid.

So the balance of the 2 above "overs" and "unders" makes it look like the PAYE, SDL, UIF was underpaid for Mar 2011 to Aug 2011. What now?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Asked and answered here.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Thank you for your answer on the new thread regarding this.

I thought it would be best to create a new thread, as it is a topic that could help someone else as well and if it is hidden in this thread, it could be missed...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for your answer on the new thread regarding this.

I thought it would be best to create a new thread, as it is a topic that could help someone else as well and if it is hidden in this thread, it could be missed...

I have to thank you. This has produced a great series of Q&A's - very much part of why TFSA was started in the first place.

My only deep concern at this point is whether or not you'll be making the deadline.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Yes, you're right, we almost wrote a step-by-step guide :-) With me putting the Q's and you putting the A's - THANK YOU!

I wish I started with the Q's a few more days ago, though. But, that is my own fault. I thought it was going to be quick-and-easy and postponed it to the last minute

As far as my submission goes:
    I have generated all the IT3(a)'s on Easyfile, but when I click on declaration (to redo my EMP501) I get this submission status:

This Employer already has a submission pending with SARS for the tax year selected.
    You will only be able to submit again, once the status of that submission is either
    ACCEPTED or REJECTED.
    You can check the status in the STATUS DASHBOARD in the Utilities

So I guess I will have to wait until SARS responds to the submission by either "ACCEPTING" or "REJECTING" the submitted EMP501 and then redo the EMP501?

Maybe they will have some sympathy because I have submitted an EMP501 in time, albeit incorrect. Sigh... One can only hope...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    So I guess I will have to wait until SARS responds to the submission by either "ACCEPTING" or "REJECTING" the submitted EMP501 and then redo the EMP501?
    I'm afraid so. That is the delay I was referring to elsewhere. Not much you can do except check every few days to see if the status is updated.

I have no idea if there is a penalty, but if they do levy one you probably stand a fair chance of a successful application for them to waive the penalty given your efforts so far.

With any luck you won't attract a penalty. It is only an interim recon, so I expect making the deadline isn't quite as mission critical for SARS as an end-of-tax-year recon.

Despite it "just" being an interim recon, I do recommend you keep going and see the process through. There could be some downstream consequences if you don't get it all cleaned up at this point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast