Just need to get my ducks in a row regarding sick leave.

I have a new staff member that has been with me for 4 months (3 month contract, now permanent).

2 weeks ago she asked to borrow money for an preventative operation (cancer) - money is extremely tight at the moment but once I heard it was cancer I said go ahead and book and I will put it on my credit card - she can pay it back (R4500)over a year or so. She reckoned she would be back 1 week after the op. It's a government hospital and as she works (shop assistant, low pay) it still seems they charge.
The op is scheduled for November.

Last week the doctor phoned, and it's been confirmed that she has cancer (really sad, she is only 21). My advice was to move back to her family for two reasons...the chemo/treatment would be free if she was unemployed also she would have the support of her parents.

As said, for me money is tight, for the first time ever I have a couple of accounts frozen - It's not all bad as my 6 good months start in december which is just around the corner.

If she decides to stay, what are my legal rights? If she takes 3 months sick - do i have to pay? Is there a limit on how much sick leave a person can take?

It sounds pretty heartless I know ( and I can assure you I am not) - but would like to know where I stand.

Lastly if she leaves could she claim UIF?