Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New employee has cancer - help!

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    That's basically theft. I would go through the disciplinary proceedure and deduct the shortfall from their wages.
    They don't earn very much (retail) plus I didn't really loose - so I won't go down that route. They now cannot give discounts higher than 10% and all staff purchases must go through me. I give my staff a lot of freedom - some can handle it, others cannot. Just have to reel in those that cannot...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Difficult one - you allowed staff discounts. Per chance you found that they were passing through their discounts to their friends. But the could have done that anyway - they buy the product themselves and then sell it on to their friends from their home. I think the best is not only to limit the discount but also to limit the value of their puchases per month i.e. you may only spend R500 in the shop in a month or some or other reasonable figure. This way they score a bit but there is no incentive to sell the products on. You could tell them that your accountant said that this needs to be done so that you can budget you cashflow / profitability or something like that.

3. Thanks given for this post:

Pap_sak (03-Nov-11)

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    I had a problem with staff discount when I took over a company 4 years ago.The staff were basically buying for 'themselves' and the 'family members' our customers were taking the product home for them.The customers were then paying my staff members a small fee to buy for them at a 25% discount.

I stopped offering staff discount all together and saw a remarkable increase in my profits.The staff complained like hell, but when I told them why I was taking it away they had VERY little to say!

5. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (31-Oct-11), Pap_sak (03-Nov-11)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    That's basically theft. I would go through the disciplinary proceedure and deduct the shortfall from their wages.
    To be honest, it's not the "theft" that bugs me (and you right, it is theft) it's the abuse of trust that actually hurts. I give my staff a percentage of turnover after I get R3000 p/m per shop...they get around 12% of profits(shared between 2 for that shop). plus they get stock for themselves at cost (the norm is around 15%), my staff also get slightly above retail wages in rural areas where unemployment is very high. They also only see me generally once a week for a couple of hours...also, am sure, is a plus!

As said, some handle it well and thrive - one of my shops just thrives on this system..I might have to go through the slog of getting a bigger shop because we've out grown the old shop and i have no problem with them earning more in commissions than their standard pay.

anyway, I have given them their last warning...as it stands I could probably do as well if i personally just opened the shop Fridays and saturdays, and it's an option I have thought of...

But besides them "taking the piss" and having done a few stupid things, they seem to be decent workers that take a fair amount of pride in the shop and have heard a couple of good comments from customers. So worth another go.
    Last edited by Pap_sak; 03-Nov-11 at 09:59 PM. Reason: a bit more info

Thanks
    Would it be an option to install cameras in each shop?
    Ones that you can dial in with a cellphone to see what is going on and can download stored video to see exactly what has happened?
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Hi wynn - it is something I have thought of (well cameras anyway, haven't seen the ones you are talking about)...I am sure it would stop a fair amount of mucking around. I guess I should revisit all the options.

I am slightly "cranky" at the moment - I have just gone through my 6 "bad" months and money is particularly tight at the moment - role on December!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    A suggestion, allow your employees to buy a high value item "one high value item" once every 8 or 12 months at cost. Allow them to pass this item on if they so wish and or allow them to keep this item for themselves and or even sell the item and allow them to keep the profit.

There is really no harm then? Advertisement cost a lot and you are basically getting it for free. Yes you may lose let's say a few items once a year BUT the use of the item will be noted and inquired about. Meaning others see it want it and you got it in stock. Free advertisement at your disposal.

just a thought...
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    As long as they buy the item for themselves or child and do not go wild on their account I have no problems with it. It occasionally hurts when I get a product in that they all take, but, TBO, I probably should have got more in, it's more a case of bad buying on my part.

But it's a "perk", that as long as it's not abused, will happily let it go.

The one shop is in "lock down", the other two are fine, and am not going to let one shop influence how the others are run.

Thanks
    You could also link the perk to a points system. Start with, say, 1000 points per employee per month.

They can buy R1000 goods at discount / cost.

Take a day off, minus 100 points.
    Arrive late minus 30 points.
    Talking on cell phone during working hours minus 25 points.

you get the idea. Make the reward directly linked to performance and dedication.
    Watching the ships passing by.

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Greetings -
    Dave is correct on the first 6 months sick leave allocation. The 6 week allocation (or 3 year allotment) becomes due after the sick months, ie in effect could be taken in advance.
    in terms of any dismissal/contemplated dismissal you would need to look and follow the code of good practice on ill health. in a nutshell attempt to accomodate. As an example if she needs two months for treatment you would need to accomodate her, particularly because she does not fill a highly skilled position that would be difficult to fill on a temporary basis.
    the norm of no work no pay applies.
    UIF - as she has not been in your employ for long, there will not be much there unless she was previously employed and thus built up some credit. (in which case an undertsanding between you and her could be worked out...allowing her to claim and when ready to return to work)
    In terms of hospital treatment at a government hospital - she should not be paying. It will not constitute emergency treatment but the right to health care still stands. It is a right that can be limited if the hospital can show a reasonable and rational reason (See Soobramoney vs KZN minister of health)
    Anthony Sterne

www.acumenholdings.co.za
    DISCLAIMER The above is merely a comment in discussion form and an open public arena. It does not constitute a legal opinion or professional advice in any manner or form.

13. Thanks given for this post:

Pap_sak (22-Nov-11)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast