Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: home security/ multi media

Suspended
    Thanks

home security/ multi media

i want to intergrate my security and multi media.

i would like to be able to

watch tv or be able to switch to the cameras or have them rotating in the corner of the tv in a small block like you can do with a dvr and monitor...i want to be able to view the cameras from my tv...pc in my office or tv in the workshop...which should be possible via the router.

i want to be able to log onto the internet...download movies and use the internet via a wireless keyboard and mouse linked to the tv...i will run network cables from my office to the workshop and lounge....i am also considering upgrading to a faster line...or do you think move over to 3 or 4 G wireless.

i would like 1 or 2 big hard drives...1.5 tb + to store the camera data and movies...pics etc...which must be on a slide show as the screen saver...

have a mobile station which must beep if any of the perimeter sensors are activated...but must be mobile so i am able to take with me if i go out to the workshop or offfice...

i also need to decide if i am gona put a dvr in for the cameras or if it would be a better option to just install a tower pc with a dvr card.

does anyone know if you use a multi media hard drive if you still need a pc?

anyone have a simple solution.

Thanks
    I think you forgot the 'Dear Santa' bit at the beginning.

*Edit* I think this is going to end up very complicated. I would keep the media system and the security system as separate entities.

Suspended
    Thanks
    the reason i am looking at it as a whole is because of the equipment required for the security cameras

i need a dvr...which i can fit a dvr card into a pc...which will be used to access and save info to the hard drives.

i need a screen to view the cameras...i am at a point where the old tv only has 2 chanels available and no sound which i have managed to get to work by using the dvd...and for security reasons i dont have to go outside to see what is going on i just change to camera channel and walla...

i need a hard drive to store the camera recording...which can be used and expanded to store pics...movies...which will be doubled up just in case.

i need to put a router into the house to access the internet and view on tv in the lounge and in my workshopp...so i can watch how to videos on yotube while building various items...and of course keep up to date with you fellas....without having to log on in my office....so instead i leave my router in the office and just run network cables...no the wireless part is just tooo slow and the signal requires a booster...and the new tvs come with network capabilities...so one screen (TV) internet...cameras and TV all in one.

some of the cameras and lighting is already up...but i stopped because i am thinking of going the ip route with the cameras...price a little over the top at the moment...but like all electronics i am sure they will drop in price.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I am sure this can be done with all the technology available nowadays. But as Andy said the "dear Santa" has to be added.

This is certainly a job for an expert and not for a DIY guy.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    I am busy relocating the monitors of the surveillance system at a home now. There are 2 independant systems. Each is looping recordings of the past week on its' own 500Gig hard drive. They are both running on windows XP. Both are connected to the network server. Having dedicated displays they are showing real time for all 32 cameras. If you have 1 or only a few cameras you can set the display to show only one camera at a time in sequence. You can also set it to always be on top. Then you can watch your movie/TV and have your camera display the size and at position you want on your screen. I have software on another drive which is not pligged in now & do not recall the name. There are a few available so you can choose what will meet your requirements best. Most of them have an "alarm" function. It will make a sound or switch to that camera when it detects motion as you prefer. How you connect to your TV will depend on what TV you have & its' capabilities. I think you are enterprising enough to be able to get it right before Christmas.

Suspended
    Thanks
    seven years later i decided to finaly rig up my surround sound system this afternoon...woooow...just been watching top gun...gladiator...and pearl habour to test run it...yeeeah baby...make some noise

wife managed to corner me and the team..we ened up...moving lights around...put up a chandalair...relocated 5 lights...stripped out the old tv video machine and turfed it all...now i just need a 51 cm plasma screen and i am sorted...had to climb in the room just now to move the back speaker further back...have to do something about this beer boop

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    I am busy relocating the monitors of the surveillance system at a home now. There are 2 independant systems. Each is looping recordings of the past week on its' own 500Gig hard drive. They are both running on windows XP. Both are connected to the network server. Having dedicated displays they are showing real time for all 32 cameras. If you have 1 or only a few cameras you can set the display to show only one camera at a time in sequence. You can also set it to always be on top. Then you can watch your movie/TV and have your camera display the size and at position you want on your screen. I have software on another drive which is not pligged in now & do not recall the name. There are a few available so you can choose what will meet your requirements best. Most of them have an "alarm" function. It will make a sound or switch to that camera when it detects motion as you prefer. How you connect to your TV will depend on what TV you have & its' capabilities. I think you are enterprising enough to be able to get it right before Christmas.
    32 cameras... do you live in a block of flats or a complex?

i was going thru all the attempted breakin footage...on cameras on some of my customers premises...cameras dont even slow them down...what i did note while watching the footage was how effective the rob gaurds buzzer seems to scare them...
    one secenerio...the tenants are home and the thief clumbs over a 9 ft wall using the gate as the step assist...pushing the razor wire down...9.45 in the evening...he makes his way around the property until he activates the robogaurd them makes a run for it...jumping ove rthe 9 ft fence with the razor wire..to our astonsishment...without even using the gate...and off he walks down the road as if nothing happened...this same property had all the copper pipe stolen a month or so ago.

burglar gaurds dont seem to be a deterent either...a log or a 4 lb hammer seems to take a burglar gaurd of the frame in 1 or 2 attempts.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Razor wire def does not stop them ...... properly installed electric fence will.

Thanks
    "a home" It is a retirement village/ old age home
    I am also ectending & upgrading the fire detection system too.
    I do all their electrical.
    97 Cottages, 42 Bedsitters & 28 Frail Care.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb View Post
    Razor wire def does not stop them ...... properly installed electric fence will.
    They just throw an old carpet or rug over the electric fence wires, this also sorts out the 'mister spike' rubbish as well but the fence should alarm though if it's a decent one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast