Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: home security/ multi media

Suspended
    Thanks
    and once all the precausions are taken...house literally becomes a castle floating on a lake...with crocadiles and they hijack you at the entrance

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    They just throw an old carpet or rug over the electric fence wires, this also sorts out the 'mister spike' rubbish as well but the fence should alarm though if it's a decent one.
    In my 15 years in security I have never had a fence breached by throwing an old carpet over the fence or ever
    had them climbing over a fence with a wetsuit on like some people say but as u say a proper installed fence will activate if this does happen.

Suspended
    Thanks
    i agree...if setup correctly and maintained it should acticvate an alarm if cut or bridged...the problem is maintenance...i see so many fences with branches on them....a blanket works on razor wire and spikes...but hell...when i saw that fella clear that 9 ft fence the other night without a blanket man i have now realise maybe they could do it with an electric fence

Suspended
    Thanks
    As you say if it is installed correctly - it cannot be done - obviously the more secure the fence depends on a persons budget. But for a complex or an industrial site there are ways of putting up an electric fence that they cannot just quickly jump over it (eg in a v shape) - Razor wire or spikes is a total waste of money and gives some people a false sense of security. If you think about it - you just pick up a brick and bang the spikes down and hop over !! Camera's & beams should also be a last form of defense - you need to keep them outside your property, because once they are in they can do all kinds of damage - Camera should be purely a form of monitoring because it is not a deterrent - and what I mean by that is cameras do not stop them and they know that 9 out of 10 times you cannot be prosecuted from a camera if you are caught - therefore it should be used purely for monitoring.

Thanks
    Nothing better than shocking the sh*t out of them. The cameras I am busy with are for indoor surveilance only. It is used to provide proof of theft by staff or ill-treatment of the elderly by the staff. I will also be mounting a new camera at the main gate in due course. The cameras are also used to monitor the frail, there are more wards than personell and a person at the viewing panels can see if someone falls out of their bed irrespective of which ward they are in.

Suspended
    Thanks
    as most of you know i am by now means an expert this field....so please feel free to steer me in the right direction if i am not doing something right or there is a better easier way.

i have setup a variety of cameras around my house...linked it to a dvr and now managed to network it to my tv...netbook and a small 7 "....i still need to run the network cable from my office to a central point in the house so that i can link the tv...dvr...and my house computer to the internet...there is wireless connection but i find it tooo slow...so i want to install a cat5 or 6 cable

tried to connect to the internet but havent had time to set it up yet...thats the next step

the design...

firstly i made a sketch...taking into consideration the following factors....

analog or digital...went with analog...simply because the ip/tcp cameras are great for good quality live footage...but cost a small fortune and once compressed to a recorder loose the quality...using a good quality analog camera is cheaper and if setup correctly can give a pretty good pic...even though it converts to black and white at night if the ir leds are being used or the lighing is not bright enough to keep the colour

easy access points...low fence....blind spots that i cant see from the windows of the house...trees and shrubs (movement)

family access front gate and parking...unloading...in case of hijacking

positioning of lighting and if they work on day/night switches or switched and how bright....which will affect the camera picture quality and glare.

then i decided what type of camera to install....

what lux is available from the lighting and what the camera ir capabilities and distance.

how far the camera is from the point of view...for example the gate camera is 20 metres away from the gate...is it a critical camera...do i want to identify the person....so do i fit additional lights at the gate and use a higher quality camera with a bigger lens and no ir capabilities

the cameras mounted on the side of the property are being used as motion sensors...but the quality of the picture is not critical...but i want to know if someone walks past...setting up the camera blocks so that only the areas higher than the dogs is detected and the pixels quality set a little lower so that it doesnt keep switching on...this i believe is going to be a bit of trial and error...these cameras were also positioned taking this into consideration....that the lights and movement from traffic on the road doesnt affect the motion settings.

now i just need an iphone and i can view link directly to the dvr or netbook to view the cameras from any location using the phone.

i am aslo considering mounting a small screen in my bedroom so that if i hear a noise i dont even have to get out of bed...just look up at the screen which will indicate if the dogs have activated the alarm or an intruder

Suspended
    Thanks
    considering a wireless sensor costs about the same as a good quality 540 tvl...40 metres ir camera and i have to install a dvr.

i am considering fitting the cameras low enough to cut out the dogs and just above the fence to monitor the fence if someone tries to jump over it...it will set off and alarm and i can see if it is a false alarm or an intruder.

Suspended
    Thanks
    If u are not an expert, why dont u get one in to advise u? First question popped into my mind
    was - u want all this but u dont have a screen in your bedroom? ?

Suspended
    Thanks
    "expert"...where do you find one or better still what is the criteria required to become an expert...other than a course on cctv and dvr setups...which i have completed...and experience which comes with time...i dont know of any formal qualification...after asking one of the more experienced installers here to answer some questions and the crap installtion which are done by cctv personel...and people have the cheek to complain about electrical installtions...i think alarm installer do the worse jobs followed by cctv and electric fencing...i have decided to rather do the installation myself.

i have already completed the installation setup the network to my netbook and tv...i dont have a tv in my bedroom...because if i want entertainment i will fit mirrors...i just need a small 7 " screen mounted on the bedroom side of the house...can even be in the passage...because the other side of the house has a camera which covers the lounge and kitchen entrance and is locked to prevent access to the bedrooms if there is a breakin on that side...at least with a small screen i can see before i open the doors.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quoted from a CCTV website...

CCTV Security System Design

“It’s perhaps unfortunate that many of the CCTV systems currently in use, are so badly designed, configured and installed, as to render them only marginaly better than a complete waste of money

Time and again, serious crimes take place in full view of relatively high performance surveillance cameras, and the resulting images shown on the TV news do little to dispel the myth surrounding the existence of a Yeti (or Bigfoot).

It wouldn’t be quite so bad if you could tell whether the creature was male or female, but perhaps that's just a little too much like rocket science”.

when i started with cctv i watched as people installed cameras...how they ran the cables...the first installation involved 650 cameras in one installtion at a cost of around R40 million...was rather blown away by the whole thing...it was interesting to watch how the installation came together then alll the big screens where installed in the security room...and the capabilities of the cameras which where installed...i have found a cctv installation design program which does all the calculations for the field of view...lens selection and it explains what to expect from the camera and its location...ie what you will achieve with the camera you install and its capabilities...when you think about it...its much like taking a picture...if you only have a 0.33 meg camera with no zoom or flash...you cant expect to take a picture 60 metres away then try blow it up if it is pitch black dark....however if you select the correct camera and lens...install the appropriate lighting...you could get a good quality picture...but then you need to decide what you actually want out of the picture....facial identification...or just movement and colour of clothing....i would be interested to see how many cctv camera installers have a program to design...or just thumb suck ...but i suppose it is like everything you will get the chances and the people who actually have the correct qualifications and the design software.

the cameras on the N3 driving out of durban as a good example of a waste of rate payers money....i can only asume that the cost ran into at least a R100 million...and still to this day the one one as you leave springfield park faces the houses on the M19 and the one at the pavilion hangs down looking into the ground...years later.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast