Thread: Website review

Thanks

Website review

Hi everybody,

May I humbly request that you have a look at my website, and just give me some feedback on look and functionality.

If this request is not allowed, I ask forgiveness beforehand and ask that you remove it. I won't feel bad at all, I promise

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It looks well finished.
    Everything seemed to click and go to where it should.
    Load times were good.

Thanks
    Thanks Dave, I appreciate the look!

Thanks
    Stephan, it looks really nice and has a good clean feel.

I did notice a couple of things

• there is some random text "asd" in the description block on the "Add listing" page.
    • The RKS ad is repeated 5 times (but I don't suppose Riaan minds...).
    • You should add a link for "Accept terms and conditions"
    • I found the use of bars ("|") and underscores ("_") a bit visually disturbing in the category list, maybe just use whitespace?
    • I sometimes had errors when browsing through the directory (example, I'm using Firefox)
    • It is not clear exactly what will be done with my email address, which is required info for the listing form (will it be displayed? etc.) There is no option to hide it, and I don't want it published....but it is required (grrr, vicious circle).
    • There is a view map link, but no map
    • Found an email address on your listing. There is a fault (has an </a> at the end), and it is displayed in plain text, i.e. open for abuse by SPAM bots.
    • Browse according to alphabet did not return anything
    • Browse according to category has brackets, but no numbers displayed (I struggled to find anyone this way, but that is probably because your database is still quite small).
    • You have to click through quite a few sublevels when browsing by category. Maybe it is better to have a linear list and search through that visually. Only one or two clicks (and page loads) then, which will make it speedier and nicer to work with.

Sorry about the long list! I went looking Hope that it helps though
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Oh, I forgot! I see you have a forum there...why not just link through here and build on the work that has already been done here?
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    I like the site, it looks good, but what does all the buttons on the right hand side do?

What is the Special promotion for? Maybe you could add a link / button next to it explaining what it's for?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dsd View Post
    • there is some random text "asd" in the description block on the "Add listing" page. [done]
    • The RKS ad is repeated 5 times (but I don't suppose Riaan minds...). [done]
    • You should add a link for "Accept terms and conditions" [done]
    • I found the use of bars ("|") and underscores ("_") a bit visually disturbing in the category list, maybe just use whitespace? [done]
    • I sometimes had errors when browsing through the directory (example, I'm using Firefox) [fixed and done]
    • It is not clear exactly what will be done with my email address, which is required info for the listing form (will it be displayed? etc.) There is no option to hide it, and I don't want it published....but it is required (grrr, vicious circle). [email in listing now someone at bob.com]
    • Found an email address on your listing. There is a fault (has an </a> at the end), and it is displayed in plain text, i.e. open for abuse by SPAM bots. [changed this, still need to make online mailing form, or not?]
    • Browse according to alphabet did not return anything [this is by business name, in process of making a browse category alphabetically ]
    • Browse according to category has brackets, but no numbers displayed (I struggled to find anyone this way, but that is probably because your database is still quite small). [done, though only visible on sub levels for now]

Thanks for the thorough work though and sorry for the late reply, but a million thanks!!!

Thanks
    I have a question for you.

Is this Business Directory primarely aimed at "physical" businesses? i.e., business with physical & postal addresses?

Cause I find it rather difficult to list a virtual business, like the SA WebHosting Talk forum, which I don't want to associate with either an address, or a phone numer & fax number, or a single contact person. But your registration doesn't allow me not to add these options

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftDux View Post
    I have a question for you.

Is this Business Directory primarely aimed at "physical" businesses? i.e., business with physical & postal addresses?

Cause I find it rather difficult to list a virtual business, like the SA WebHosting Talk forum, which I don't want to associate with either an address, or a phone numer & fax number, or a single contact person. But your registration doesn't allow me not to add these options
    I will see what I can do to get it set up for you

Centurion (behind the Boerewors curtain), Pretoria.
    Thanks

Please can you add a sub-category?

Hi

Could you possibly add a "marketing" subcategory under the "business services" category. I would love to list my business but I do general marketing support rather being an "ad agency" or "designer" etc. 'Advertising' is way too limited a description of what is done...

Thanks

Cheers
    A