Thread: Windows 7 Versions

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Windows 7 Versions

Hi Everyone,

I was having a look at the differences between Windows 7 Basic and Home Premium,

Is it really just 2 items,

Watch many of your favorite TV shows for free when and where you want with Internet TV.

&

Easily create a home network and connect your PCs to a printer with HomeGroup.

I was under the impression while looking for a laptop that I would be missing out on alot if I got the basic version?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd view the problems with network functionality in basic as a fairly significant issue

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi Dave,

I could be wrong on this however I assumed the HomeGroup software is a network wizard of some sort from the way it is explained and that one should be still able to network ?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Just to shed abit more light this question comes from the fact that I am looking for a laptop and 90% of the laptops that are under R5\R6K come with Windows 7 Basic!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't have a machine with Windows 7 basic, so I can't clarify that for you one way or the other. Hopefully someone else will step up to the plate.

We did have a laptop in the office that had Vista home edition, and I can tell you getting that one to function properly on the network was a nightmare.

Thanks
    We setup a home network with windows 7, but this was with the help of my daughter who is doing Bsc IT I have W7 home premium
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Singhms View Post
    I could be wrong on this however I assumed the HomeGroup software is a network wizard of some sort from the way it is explained and that one should be still able to network ?
    As far as I know, that's 100% correct. I can't see why you wouldn't be able to network the PCs. The only Windows 7 version I would advise against is Starter. (You really don't want the Starter edition)

On the subject of Homegroups: I have Windows 7 Ultimate and to date have never used the Homegroup functionality, despite my laptop being connected to a variety of networks at different times.

The following excerpt is from Microsoft's website:

You can join a homegroup in any edition of Windows 7, but you can only create one in Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, or Enterprise.
    Plan to use your PC at the office—or for telecommuting? Then you might need to connect to a domain, which is a collection of computers on a network. The Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions are designed to join a domain quickly and more securely. Just follow the easy-to-use wizard, which prompts you to enter your network credentials. A few moments later, you're in business.
    What this probably means is that with anything less than Home Premium you will be able to connect to ad-hoc networks, but will have difficulty connecting to any domains of sort (most business networks).

I don't see why you wouldn't still be able to network the PCs, but if you think you might ever need to connect to a domain, I'd advise at least getting Home Premium.

8. Thanks given for this post:

AmithS (19-Oct-11)

Thanks
    One thing we've found with W7 Home is it doesn't want to link to a domain server. For that you need at least Pro. So if your network uses Active Directory or even some other Domain, you can't use Home (let alone Starter). As long as your network only uses WorkGroups (if there's Vista or older machines also on the net), or HomeGroups (if all your PC's are Win7 based) then Home should be fine. Note though, you cannot create a HomeGroup with Home, you can only join one - so preferably you'd want at least one Pro on your network.

AFAICT the only difference between pro and ultimate is the included bitlocker & language localizations. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...oducts/compare

Another thing is the XP mode is available only from Pro upwards. Though if you have a licensed XP then you can always install it inside VirtualBox (or such) to get the exact same thing as that "XP mode".
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

10. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (24-Oct-11)

Thanks
    Homegroups allow you to easily share movies/videos/pictures with other users in your home group.
    Anyone using a Windows 7 version with it can see what it is by having a new network connection and setting its type to home. This isn't available on public or private networks.
    I don't use it, but its main appeal is in media centre-type entertainment and content streaming from PCs in your home network. For example, a media box could connect to your work laptop to play a slideshow of images.
    for those looking for more information:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ures/homegroup

EDIT:
    I forgot to mention, It doesn't affect your networking. You still have all the usual networking options available to you. This a similarity can be drawn with XP's mediacentre