Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: petrol purchase

Suspended
    Thanks

petrol purchase

i went to a petrol station and used my credit card to fill up...i insisted they bring the machine to my vehicle...which the attendant did...he pushed my card into the machine while i was watching him and he put the info which was required and gave me the machine to put in the pin...i gave it back to him he removed the card as soon as the transaction went thru and he handed it back to me...what more can you do to make sure they dont nail you.

3 days later i check my balance...and guess what i have been charged twice by the garage for the same amount...how they did this i am still trying to figue out...

i spoke to the bank ABSA to find out how this could have happened...they said it is impossible because there is a chip on the card and you have to key in the pin for every transaction...so i asked what now.

i was told that because i made a purchase from the petrol station i must now go and claim the money back myself directly from the petrol station...the fact that my card was not reported stolen they cannot do anything about it.

time to canceal my credit card with ABSA...if they cannot even reverse a transaction that they can see has been double debited...how can i be sure that if i have any other issues with my credit card i will actually get my money back and the fact that you have to put in a pin number for the transaction to happen makes me even more nervous that this kind of thing can happen...maybe i should try FNB and see if all their wadda wadda about their credit card is any good.

yes i know i hate credit cards but i got tired of begging standard bank and the rate they are robbing me using my debit card it paid me to get a credit card...with a small limit...which after this incident is gona get reduced even more...like to R1000

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    I had a problem recently where Standard Bank systems where giving problems. I taught it was my credit card.

When I called the helpline, they told me that multiple transactions for the same value went through at SPAR and CLICKS. I told them that I have the receipts that show the transactions where declined and I used another card to pay.

They reversed all the transactions over the phone and when I got my statement they where not there!

Suspended
    Thanks
    you lucky...i tried that with absa but was told that i had to go back to the petrol station and request a refund...i was told they will only take action if my card is stolen...and what is even more scary is the fact that this transaction took place on the 27/09/2011...today is the 30/09/2011 and i was told to call back in 48hrs...but when i notified them that it had already happened more than 48 hrs ago...i was told that i would need to wait until monday and call them back...i cant understand why i must wait so long...that will be almost a week....eeeish...

when i asked what happens if my account is "not" stolen but cleaned out in a similar manner....they couldnt give me answer....and stuck to the story that because of the chip in the credit card a person would have to frst put in a pin number...but this transcation proves that a company can still double debit your card....thank goodness it wasnt a huge amount.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Also beware, that previously with the plain swipe credit card if it was stolen your builtin credit card insurance (part of your fees) covered all the purchases during the theft and would be refunded to your credit card.

Now with the new credit cards, you are liable for all transactions on the card as the banks claim "only you should know the pin" and will therefore not refund any transactions if the card is stolen!!!!!!!!

This is how I understand it, I stand to be corrected as the last time I checked this was a few years back when pin cards where being introduced!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    3 days later i check my balance...and guess what i have been charged twice by the garage for the same amount...how they did this i am still trying to figue out...
    Exactly the same amount?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    From the comments made it is clear that the bank staff did not know what they are doing. It is so sad that nowadays when you phone a bank, you actually speak to a call centre where the people come and go, with no bank training whatsoever.

They read from a template and if anything is too complicated they fob you off with some lame excuse. They know that the chances are slim that they will pick up your call again next week.

Gone are the days that the most junior bank staff could actually assist you in solving a problem or refer you to someone who could. Senior management and their greed for undeserved bonuses and million rand packages should get the blame for the sad state of banking all over the world.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Exactly the same amount?
    exactly the same amount...i watched the transaction happen...if fact i normally hold the machine put the pin and hold it until it states remove card on the screen..then i take the card and put it back into my wallet...and wait for the slip...after all the credit card fraud i hear about i never give out my card number or details on the internet or over the phone...if there is no remote machine i go to the till and pay...i have also reduced limit a small amount just in case...i rahter do an internet transfer if i need to pay a big amount or take my netbook and do an eft at the shop or company i am dealing with rather than using my credit card.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    From the comments made it is clear that the bank staff did not know what they are doing. It is so sad that nowadays when you phone a bank, you actually speak to a call centre where the people come and go, with no bank training whatsoever.

They read from a template and if anything is too complicated they fob you off with some lame excuse. They know that the chances are slim that they will pick up your call again next week.

Gone are the days that the most junior bank staff could actually assist you in solving a problem or refer you to someone who could. Senior management and their greed for undeserved bonuses and million rand packages should get the blame for the sad state of banking all over the world.

and so they loose another customer...looks like i will be opening another account with stanard bank...at least at standard bank i have caused so much kak that i get to deal directly with the bussiness bank manager...even direct line numbers...which is seldom in todays banking world...you normally have to go theu a call centre number...which has its perks like cheque clearances etc...because after they decided to remove cheque clearances...even if you got special clearance you still wait a day or 2...dealing with the manager you put down the phone and the money is cleared by the time you log on...standard bank might be the most expensive and i know i complain about them a lot but as i mentioned before when i needed help from a bank any bank thay were the only ones willing to open and account for me due to my situation with nedban...who literally closed my account in 7 days and almost shut me down and put me out of bussiness...and boy do they try now to get my bussiness...i have fun leading them on then reminding them what they did to me...the line goes dead...and here i am still keeping my head above water 12 years later.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Hi Murdock,

It you go to the petrol station and speak to the owner, he can make the reversal in a minute. All he has to do is check his records to see the double entry.

I am in no way sanctioning what has happened, and under all circumstances, it should never have happened, but we are dealing with complex systems and wireless connections, etc
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Isn't it illegal to pay for fuel using credit cards, the purchase of fuel on any kind of credit used to be illegal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast