Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting spare keys from dealership!!

Email problem
    Thanks

Exclamation Getting spare keys from dealership!!

Hi

I recently bought a second hand car from a dealer in PTA! after i signed all the papers, the delivered the vehicle to me, WITH NO SPARE KEYS! The dealer assured me that he will get the spare keys from the previous owner. A couple of days later and i phoned the dealer only for him to tell me that the previous owner does not have the keys.

This would not have bothered me except that a replacement key from Hyundai cost in excess of R2500!

I would like to know 1. What are my rights in relation to the consumer protection act, And 2. what will be the best way to approach this problem?

thank you

Kind regards Johann Grobbelaar

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    R2,500 you got off lightly. Friends of mine had both sets of keys for their BMW X3 stolen. R22K - They paid R2500 for the excess.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've never got spare keys with a second hand vehicle bought from a dealer - and the issue of the missing spare set has always gone down exactly the same path as the OP describes - promises, and then "there aren't any."

Quote Originally Posted by Gros View Post
    1. What are my rights in relation to the consumer protection act
    If you were told you were buying a car with spare keys, you're entitled to get a car with spare keys.

Thanks
    Another thing to ba aware of is that some cars have a normal key and a master key (sometimes called the service key). Both are chipped and programmed but you're going to run into problems if you ever need a duplicate key and you don't have a master key.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    R2,500 you got off lightly. Friends of mine had both sets of keys for their BMW X3 stolen. R22K - They paid R2500 for the excess.
    I'm surprised the scammers haven't started picking up bunches of keys when the poseurs leave them on the bar and blackmailing their owners for their return........hmmm a new business opportunity me thinks :-)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    We actually spoke about it. She said that she would have happily given them R10K to get her handbag back - Cards, Passports, keys etc...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gros View Post
    the previous owner does not have the keys
    So who has them then? Surely one doesn't just casually "lose" a set of car keys? Especially considering what can be done with them and/or what it costs to replace them!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yep and they can then lift the car at any time with the spare key. I have all my car spare keys safely stored away.
    When ever I have purchased a 2nd hand vehicle, before I pay I want to see all the keys. The deal is only done upon receipt of the keys. If there is no incentive to find them by the seller, they will make no effort and simply say they lost them.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Email problem
    Thanks
    Well i phone the dealer last week and he said that he contacted the previous owner who in turn said that he does not have it! If it is the truth I dont know.

Its my first car ever boaght from a dealer my previous one was a private sale, a car a bought from a friend.

An expensive lesson to learn, I know. But the question still remains, what are my rights? can I demand keys and if not delivered sue? Will I win if i sue?

How will you guys tackle this problem?

Thanks
    I would get a quote to have the keys / locks changed and take it to the dealer. On older models, this can be a reasonably inexpensive thing to do at your local locksmith. Not sure about newer vehicles.

Maybe a small claims court case for the costs ?

You were promised the keys. So either they get produced or they pay for the locks to be changed. Maybe you should tell them you're considering canceling the deal ?
    Watching the ships passing by.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The question here is - Does it state anywhere in the agreement that spare keys were to be supplied with the purchase.

If the answer is No, then I am afraid you have a very weak case, the CPA will not be able to help either, but you can always try. A he said she said argument is not going to hold in court, unless there are witnesses. Also a court case is not a cheap exercise, and may take a number of years.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast