Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Business Problem Areas

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Eish, this thread is getting depressing. I can relate to all the posts!

Suspended
    Thanks
    Bad staff

Thanks
    Finance department delaying tactics to small business owners, they do not understand these entities require these monies to operate!!!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RheinhardtP View Post
    Finance department delaying tactics to small business owners, they do not understand these entities require these monies to operate!!!!
    They may also not understand the importance of building good relationships with supply chain partners. Over time you build trust in products, service and conduct. Mutual trust is so important in business, but is often disregarded.

To replace a supply chain partner that has gone under may cause some difficulty for the buyer. He has to source new suppliers, get new quotes, check the credibility of the supplier and quality of the product. Time which could have been spent promoting the business and its products.

I do not want to bore you with too much detail. The bottom line is: By looking after your supplier, you are indirectly looking after your own business.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb View Post
    Bad staff
    You do not get bad staff. Only bad management.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Getting customers to setup there word files correctly. We use the metric system of page sizes in SA not the American system.
    Then understand that word documents sometimes does open differently on different computers.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies, I am really great full to see everyone sharing their experiences.

Please continue posting. I had a terrible last week with lots of issues to deal with.

I will start responding to replies in the thread very soon, to both gain more insight in the problems and also brain storm some solutions.

Thanks again

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    You do not get bad staff. Only bad management.
    I'm sorry Blurock, but in some aspects you might be right, but in another you are totally wrong ! I am in the security industry - I hire people from the lower end of the salary scale, black and white - I have had more problems from the white guys over the years and have found the black guys to be better. But you still have bad eggs - the ones that come late all the time and have all the excuses under the sun, the ones that when you arrive on site are asleep in the bakkie, the ones that work slowly on purpose just to mess you around, the ones that make mistake after mistake, the ones that steal from a site, the ones that ask the client for money or food etc etc etc etc ..... I could go on but we would need a lot more pages for it all. So perhaps in some cases it is "bad management" but in most of the cases it is not ! So yes you need to manage them all, but at the end of the day you have to get rid of the "bad staff" !

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I must be honest, the biggest problem that I have is myself. I am very good at R&D and developing products but I have zero focus. I would chase something or the other only to realize at month end that lots of stuff that should have been done to keep the wheels turning wasn't done. I would love to have a management / marketing / accounting / legal partner. My head is always solving some or other technical problem and my hands are always dirty. Not good for keeping a business steady. We have so many wonderful viable oppertunities and markets but I feel like Garfield sitting next to a highway trying to chase down every interesting car that comes past only to run out of steam, get run over or lose interest when the next interesting car comes along. The oppertunities and markets are not pie in the sky, we are simply unable to service them properly for a lack of organization & structure.

This isn't a whinge, it's a description of the real problem, which I haven't been able to solve all my life. I've read the books, tried all sorts of things, but the thing is, my bad memory & easily distractable nature always gets me in the end.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    I must be honest, the biggest problem that I have is myself. I am very good at R&D and developing products but I have zero focus. I would chase something or the other only to realize at month end that lots of stuff that should have been done to keep the wheels turning wasn't done. I would love to have a management / marketing / accounting / legal partner. My head is always solving some or other technical problem and my hands are always dirty. Not good for keeping a business steady.
    Interesting.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but could I ask you to look deep inside yourself just for a moment.

For a while my business strategy was seeking out people like you. I'd provide the management/structure side and the technical partner would handle the technical side. However, it's been my experience that it doesn't take much success for these folk to decide that they don't want to get their hands dirty anymore and want to be managers and administrators. And in so doing prove themselves right too - they're not good at it. It's been a partnership breaker for me on a few occasions.

So my question is - Are you sure you could really let go of the reins like that?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast