Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing Laptop on BidorBuy

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Purchasing Laptop on BidorBuy

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to check if anyone purchased a laptop or similar on BidorBuy and how was your experience?

Also anything to look out for or be careful of?

Thanks,

Thanks
    i have purchased other electronics (cellphone, ipad etc. and various other products) and had a really pleasant experience

I would recommend reading everything carefully (specs wise) cause once you have bought it and not satisfied they will say that they won't do a refund as the add stated everything.

Choosing the right seller is the difficult part - these tips i have used and it is not 100% bullet proof:
    1. Choose a seller that has a high % positive ratings
    2. Go and look at the sellers rating for the past month (good sellers can go bad)
    3. Don't choose overseas sellers.

Hope this helps
    Geraldene Kapp
    Professional Tax Help
    www.mytaxhelp.co.za

3. Thanks given for this post:

AmithS (19-Sep-11)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    @geraldene - Agree 100% with everything you say

Thanks
    Bought my first item via BoB on Friday last week - a new keyboard for my aging laptop. Found a seller with 1000+ positive ratings ( no negatives ). Paid around 60% of the next best price I could find online. Transaction Friday - received keyboard this afternoon. Already installed and working 100%
    Watching the ships passing by.

6. Thanks given for this post:

AmithS (19-Sep-11)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The bulk of our retail trade is via BoB. Only once did I receive a crappy product that wasn't what I expected. I've only had two customers who were total aholes whom I won't do business with again. I shut them down even if they offer 5 times the going price. BoB is great but remember, the guy on the other side can be a fly-by-night taking you for a ride. There are many good buyers & sellers and there are many bad ones.

Be Vigilant.

I wouldn't buy a laptop via BoB - what are you going to do if it is delivered with 1/2 the memory missig or cracked screen etc. The seller could say that it was fine when he handed it over to the shipping company. What will you do if the machine hangs up 100 times a day. Nah, I think you're better off going to Cash Converters if you want a cheap laptop, at least if the machine does't work the next day you can give it back.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I think if you're careful, buying from BoB is a safe and rewarding experience.

We've tried selling without much joy, but I'm quite sure if you select the right sellers you will be able to buy decent equipment.

That said, with laptops becoming so cheap these days, I wouldn't buy a laptop/computer from Bid or Buy. It's best to physically inspect a computer before purchasing.

If you are looking for a second hand laptop, try the Carbonite forums - There are loads of items for sale and you can determine whether they are in your area (to collect the item). All sellers/buyers also have an iTrader rating, so you can establish whether they are reasonable or not.

If you're looking for a new laptop, then I would recommend just popping into Game/Makro and picking one up. We have PC Zone here in Durbs and their prices are great. I buy laptops from them. I don't think they're up in Gauteng though.

Thanks

Lightbulb

BoB is great if you are careful and do some research before you buy.
    i've been using BoB for 6 years with no problems.
    some tips :

dont buy from anyone with zero ratings and very low ratings
    check the feedback from previous buyers, going a few months back.
    do some research on what you are going to buy.i've seen some people selling products that costs more than retail prices.
    check warranties and guarantees , if any.
    some sellers uses dropshipping. so if your buying a cheapish cellphone or some other product, check for the delivery price and custom duties
    also read through the forums. alot of information there and you'll see who the top sellers is just through reading through it.

as for buying laptop on BoB , check warranties or guarantees and ratings of seller (higher the better). i think alot of computer equipment sellers does have actual stores, they just using bob as another market to sell. i bought a new entry level gigabyte laptop on bob last year and no problems.

if your buying online, an online store is always better. try this one ... http://www.laptopdirect.co.za/

very professional !

hope that helps...

k

Thanks
    This is what happens when you DON'T read the description before buying
    http://theworststuffever.com/post/10...orst-ipad-ever

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Atkinson View Post
    I think if you're careful, buying from BoB is a safe and rewarding experience.

We've tried selling without much joy, but I'm quite sure if you select the right sellers you will be able to buy decent equipment.

That said, with laptops becoming so cheap these days, I wouldn't buy a laptop/computer from Bid or Buy. It's best to physically inspect a computer before purchasing.

If you are looking for a second hand laptop, try the Carbonite forums - There are loads of items for sale and you can determine whether they are in your area (to collect the item). All sellers/buyers also have an iTrader rating, so you can establish whether they are reasonable or not.

If you're looking for a new laptop, then I would recommend just popping into Game/Makro and picking one up. We have PC Zone here in Durbs and their prices are great. I buy laptops from them. I don't think they're up in Gauteng though.
    Seconded.

You can pick up a decent laptop (for business-use) at Makro for under R3000. It's a bit more than a second-hand laptop, but the peace of mind that comes with having a warranty, decent after-sales service and original software is worth an extra grand.

http://www.makro.co.za/c/3653/laptops/

P.S. I would shy away from the entry-level Toshiba machines though; they are very plasticky.
    "Fortune favours the bold" - Virgil
    Riaan Nel
    Freelance Software Development | LinkedIn | Skype

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the suggestions guy & gals,

The thing that you all mentioned about "if you have a problem then what do you do?" is my biggest concern.

Considering visiting Makro or Game... Anyone have experience with the Acer eMachines?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast