Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Trading As name for "old" CC

Thanks

New Trading As name for "old" CC

Hi there

I want to change the "trading as" name that I originally gave my CC when it was registered just before the new companies act came into effect.

I believe that all new "trading as" names now need to be registered? Do I now have to register the new name? It's all so confusing!
    I am thinking of having the new name trademarked, but I was hoping I could get away with something cheaper in the mean time. Is it true that you have to pay for every category that your goods / services may fall under? This can be very expensive?

Also, if I want to "reserve" the name now, and create a logo / branding at a later stage is this possible? Will I be able to use the TM symbol (once it's approved etc) on any font I want to?

Any advice will be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks
    Maybe I was not clear enough: Say for example my CC's registered name is "green cc" and my trading as name was Green CC t/a "Blue" but I now want to change the t/a from 'Blue" to "Pink" ...

Thanks a stackeroo

Gold Member
    Thanks
    There is a host of confusion about trading names at the moment. The Consumer Protection Act requires that trading names be registered with the CIPC, however they simply don't seem to be geared for it at the moment. Once they are functioning, the idea is that you will need to renew your registered trading name every 2 years. This will give you some protection for your name and enable consumers to know who they are dealing with.

I recently heard that this requirement had been postponed for now (sorry, can't remember the source) so the status quo of trading under whatever name you want continues - until someone with a vested interest objects.

Can't help on the Trademark side of things.

4. Thanks given for this post:

ingebean (08-Sep-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The whole "registering of trading name" requirement is only for new enterprises launched since 1st April 2011 anyway. Existing enterprises weren't affected really - but I expect if you change the trading name, you'll be expected to register.

I suspect the whole reason for the requirement in the CPA was to stop enterprises just (not so) randomly changing their trading names as one of the moe obvious reasons some businesses do this is to lose the bad reputation problems they had accumulated under their old trading name.

On CIPC - someone at the top deserves to be sacked over that fiasco.

6. Thanks given for this post:

ingebean (08-Sep-11)

Thanks

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    The whole "registering of trading name" requirement is only for new enterprises launched since 1st April 2011 anyway. Existing enterprises weren't affected really - but I expect if you change the trading name, you'll be expected to register.
    Thanks BusFact and Dave. My CC was registered in the end of April, but it's still a CC.. obviously because of the backlog it took longer than it should have.

I just find it SO hard to find out what the requirements are to do things properly.. It's as though doing the right thing is almost impossible when there are no (that I know of) places new business owners can go to and get some (good legal) advice! I'm just SO glad I found this forum..

Yesterday I enquired with a company that I am thinking of using to assist me to register the trademark and their reply when I told them the above was:

" According to our knowledge a "trading as" name cannot be registered with CIPC.
    If you would like to use a "trading as" name we suggest that you use a name that has been registered as a trade mark.
    We have never had experience of registering a "trading as" name, therefore, you are welcome to obtain the advice of an attorney or auditor who will be able to provide you with legal advice. "

I actually still don't know what I should do!

Gold Member
    Thanks
    The CIPC website has a small section at the end of their page on registering company names where it says that trading names must now be registered. However the bright spark that put that there doesn't tell you how to do it.

I haven't heard of anyone registering a trading name yet and so I'm pretty sure there is not yet a process in place in which to do so. My non professional advice to you is to simply act as before and use the "trading as" name that you want. When CIPC eventually sort themselves out, you can go through the registration process.

The trademark route will give more protection for your name, but I don't know what they cost. You need to decide if that extra cost is really worth it.

9. Thanks given for this post:

ingebean (09-Sep-11)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The options are to register a trademark or register a defensive name (which involves ongoing renewals to prove you're actually using it if I remember correctly).

Checks quickly...

Aah yes. Post six in this two different trading names thread seems relevant.

11. Thanks given for this post:

ingebean (09-Sep-11)

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    The options are to register a trademark or register a defensive name (which involves ongoing renewals to prove you're actually using it if I remember correctly).

Checks quickly...

Aah yes. Post six in this two different trading names thread seems relevant.
    The only problem with that is I can't figure out how to register a "defensive name" on CIPC.

13. Thanks given for this post:

ingebean (13-Sep-11)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Top menu - Enterprises > Companies

Then

Right hand menu - Name Reservations

Or this link might take you straight to it http://www.cipc.co.za/Companies_NameReserve.aspx

15. Thanks given for this post:

ingebean (13-Sep-11)

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Thats the page where I found the bit about them saying you have to register a trading name but they don't say how. As far as I can see that page allows you to reserve your name for when you are in the process of registering a company. Its valid for 6 months and can then be renewed for a further 60 days. From which I assume you would then need to extend your name reservation every 2 months.

Doesn't sound right. I'm sure the defensive name or trading name registration follows another unknown and secret process.

17. Thanks given for this post:

ingebean (13-Sep-11)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast