Thread: Debt written off then reversed

Thanks

Debt written off then reversed

Hi all
    My husband is under debt review as well as paying certain institutions separately as they did not want to agree to debt review. Now a certain debt was written off some time ago and today we find out it's been reversed and handed over for collection. Is this legal? How do we now carry this too since we paying the maximum we can i.t.o. debt review and other payments? I was under the impression when a debt is written off it can't be reversed?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How long ago was the debt incurred?

Thanks
    Hi NSReaders, welcome to TFSA.

When you say the debt was 'written off' did it prescribe? If a debt prescribes legally and you acknowledge that debt then you become liable for it again. If you haven't acknowledged it then you aren't liable to pay it. Some debt collectors have been know to try and get people to acknowledge old prescribed debts so be careful. More details would help one of the local legal eagles here advise you better.

Thanks
    I spoke to him and he said it was probably around 3 years ago since he last "used" the account - it was with Barcleys. I think it's stuffed for us now since it was handed over to Anders Inc who he is also paying for Absa and Barcleys is a division of Absa. The forced him to make a payment this morning (very quick to threaten the sheriff and what not) and I guess that means he acknowledged the debt even though when his whole debt review process was started over 2 years ago we were told that debt had been written off and he was only liable for the debt directly with Absa. So they caught us just like you said AndyD. He asked them why they phoning him since the debt was written off and basically got laughed at and said because he's paying Absa they want their money too. Thanks for the info.

Thanks
    Part of the purpose of the debt review process is to stop creditors hounding you. Once under debt review, creditors cannot take action against you (unless debt excluded from review). Have a look at the NCR website.