Thread: How Should I Monetize This Page?

Thanks

How Should I Monetize This Page?

TFSA members,

I have a site that attracts a great deal of traffic that targets work from home opportunity seekers. I personally refrain from promoting online money making opportunities because of the deceptive nature of that industry and the fact that a large percentage of people who attempt to make money online will never make a dime. My conscience will not allow me to channel people who are usually desperate into a direction that will most likely see them lose money instead of making money.

I do however promote a popular freelancing platform because I personally used that platform with much success. The problem is that I have sent over 1000 people to that platform last month and only one person signed up. The commission for a sign-up is really really low but I thought more people will be interested but I was wrong. The good thing is that I do earn a reasonable Adsense income from that page.

It seems that people are more inclined toward the one-click profit systems that stimulate desire for the good life and they are put off by legitimate opportunities were they actually have to work for their money.

Any advice on how to monetize this traffic stream optimally will be appreciated?
    Last edited by Dave A; 04-Sep-11 at 08:26 AM.

Email problem
    Thanks
    URL ?

Thanks
    Hey Andrew,

I am not willing to share the URL but I can tell you that the page in question attracts work from home opportunity seekers. The content revolves around my own personal experience using a freelancing site and how I was able to generate a good income doing freelance work. I also mention what type of jobs are on offer on the site and I direct people to the site via a contextual link.

I feel it might be more profitable for me to change the entire focus of that page and maybe create an information product that teaches people how to succeed as a freelancer. I can sell the ebook and make an income on the back-end from sign-ups. This might be a better approach!

Side note: reframe should be refrain in original post (I'm not able to edit that typo for some reason)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Ashley~ View Post
    I feel it might be more profitable for me to change the entire focus of that page and maybe create an information product that teaches people how to succeed as a freelancer. I can sell the ebook and make an income on the back-end from sign-ups. This might be a better approach!
    Why? Rather create a new "sister" site that covers all that. Promote it from the original site and in the long run you'll probably see more benefits than if you put all your eggs into one basket.

5. Thanks given for this post:

~Ashley~ (04-Sep-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've tried many an affiliate program, and the conversion rate in all of them has proved incredibly low. I've found the only way to improve the numbers is to have already moved the prospect to the point of making a buying decision.

The two main problems seem to be:
    • There's a big difference between idle curiosity and geniune interest, and most are curious rather than interested.
    • There are no bullet-proof referral tracking systems - I suspect you can lose many a valid referral if the sign-up only occurs in a later session.

7. Thanks given for this post:

~Ashley~ (04-Sep-11)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Atkinson View Post
    Why? Rather create a new "sister" site that covers all that. Promote it from the original site and in the long run you'll probably see more benefits than if you put all your eggs into one basket.
    Thanks Mark, I agree that is not a good idea to place all my eggs in one basket and that is why I currently have 5 websites, but your suggestion is a good one. However, instead of building a new site I think it will be more viable for me to create a new page on the site that focuses on succeeding in the freelance industry. The site in question has evolved into a trusted site and new pages/posts rank in the organic SERPs off the cuff - this will ensure the new page receives traffic without the effort of SEO or using Adwords.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I've tried many an affiliate program, and the conversion rate in all of them has proved incredibly low. I've found the only way to improve the numbers is to have already moved the prospect to the point of making a buying decision.

The two main problems seem to be:
    • There's a big difference between idle curiosity and geniune interest, and most are curious rather than interested.
    • There are no bullet-proof referral tracking systems - I suspect you can lose many a valid referral if the sign-up only occurs in a later session.
    Agreed! The counter measure to improve conversions is to target people who are already at the end of the buying cycle and who are at the point of making a buying decision. Buyer keywords are big money spinners online and that is why review sites tend to make a great deal of money. Examples of buying keywords are: "buy ipad", "where to buy an iPad", "iPad review" etc.

These keywords are low in volume but it will not be uncommon for the conversions to be between 30-50%. But as you say you can move the prospect to make a buying decision by applying copywriting techniques and buidling a list which will enable you to warm the prospect up and then convert them into buyers.

I thought this page I am talking about will convert better but seems there is more "idle curiosity" then real interest. I guess the appeal of working from home is the reason why there is more curiosity.

Most established affiliate networks allow for a 30-90 day "cookie" that usually helps to ensure you are credited for a sale if it occurs after the intial visit to the sales page. However, there are what is called "cookie cutter" sites that actually steal your lead ethically by creating sites that target buyer keywords. So, you might have stimulated initial interest in a certain product which initiates the buying process but the site that targets the buyer keywords closes the deal.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Ashley~ View Post
    Most established affiliate networks allow for a 30-90 day "cookie" that usually helps to ensure you are credited for a sale if it occurs after the intial visit to the sales page. However, there are what is called "cookie cutter" sites that actually steal your lead ethically by creating sites that target buyer keywords. So, you might have stimulated initial interest in a certain product which initiates the buying process but the site that targets the buyer keywords closes the deal.
    The other problem is a lot of anti-virus and security scripts clear out these tracking cookies on a very regular basis.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    The other problem is a lot of anti-virus and security scripts clear out these tracking cookies on a very regular basis.
    This is rare but true! In most cases the software will have to be configured to delete cookies. I have used Norton, Kaspersky and MS Security Essentials and none of these anti-virus programs have ever cleared my cookies - I usually clear cookies manually.

All the more reason to catch a buyer who has at the end of the purchasing cycle. I however hate selling that is why I focus on Adsense monetization. I don't build lists, I don't try and convince anyone to buy affiliate products - Adsense just makes sense and it suits me as an individual.

Affiliate products that I do promote on my sites are not conspicuous - I just add a contextual link within my content (this is probably why my conversions suck).