Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Attitude problem

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'll be the first to admit that my BS-tolerance can be low at times, but that is no excuse for treating others poorly. As for respect being earned; I'll treat people with respect as soon as I meet them, and I try to make a point of treating cleaners and receptionists with the same respect as CEO's - there is no need to earn my respect before I'll start treating you well. However, if someone proves that they're not worthy of respect, then respect goes out the door.

As Adrian pointed out, one needs to take character traits (and cultural differences) into account before concluding whether or not someone has a bad attitude. I conform to the programmer-stereotype in the sense of being introverted. Based on their own personalities, extroverts can sometimes assume that introverts are rude, simply because we don't talk all that much.

Lastly, there is no excuse for poor manners - 'please' and 'thank you' won't do any harm.
    "Fortune favours the bold" - Virgil
    Riaan Nel
    Freelance Software Development | LinkedIn | Skype

2. Thanks given for this post:

Blurock (04-Sep-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah - I expect most of us have those bad moments that we have second thoughts about shortly after. But my line of thought is more around behaviour that we think is OK, but in reality genuinely isn't as OK as we think it is.

What got me thinking about this was the rram episode (this link doesn't really reflect the whole episode - but regular members should still recall the run). The kid was literally yelling "I don't have an attitude problem", and yet rather clearly he did.

My thought was we wouldn't do what we do on a regular basis if we didn't think it's OK to do it - and that applies to near anything and anyone.

So how do we know when we're fundamentally off-track and really need to revisit our paradigm of ourself?

While still maintaining the levels of self-belief it takes to get ahead in this world?
    Last edited by Dave A; 06-Sep-11 at 01:01 AM.

Suspended
    Thanks
    my understanding is manners are taught to you when growing up...something missing in a lot of households...starts at the kitchen table...not a place where many families spend their time eating...shovel grub in front of tv seems to be the norm (generalising)

attitude is more like a chip on your shoulder feel like you been hard done by and the world owes you...like your parents bringing you into this world.

respect is something earned over a period of time...sometimes bullies mistakenly think they have respect instead they have fear and like the saying goes live by the gun die by the gun...a person who is a bully would be left standing when the kak hits the fan...a person who has earned respect would have people die for him...

gladiator a good example...that fool who stabbed him while going up in the lift had an attitude problem and was a bully.

i have been told i have an atitude problem...thats why i was ragging dave...i have also been told i am a pesimist and a lot of other things...i am working on it...i do believe people can change if steered in the right direction.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    If a person reflects a bad attitude towards me I will do the same, a person reflects a good attitude towards me I will do the same.
    That is exactly the type of attitude that does more harm than good. It does not build relationships or improve conflict situations.

When you treat people with respect, they will eventually respond positively. Even when you are right, you can change the mood by reacting positively. You do not have to win every argument. You do not have to get revenge. Apply the Golden Rule: "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you."

Gandhi once said; "an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind".
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Attitudes change, perceptions change. I do not think that one should make a judgement based on one encounter. We all have bad days & good days, stresses and strains. I do agree with Blurock, the trick is to hold onto your own better attitude at all times (if you have such a thing) I for one, depending on my mood, could just strip! My own actions and reactions sometimes come as a surprise to me too (normally once I have insulted the other party so badly that they'll never speak to me again)...and yes, I know many blind people!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    So if you meet yourself, which attitude is it gonna be?
    I am actually a very easygoing person so if I am to met myself it would be without incident.

Do insane people know they're insane
    Normally yes "because you get treatment" lots of pills and people starring at you while you pay them R650 an hour... And then they will ask questions and stuff. According to them "I am a few cards short of a full deck."

My question is: What is "normal" anyway?
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Normally yes
    You you base this on what exactly?

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote .... [If a person reflects a bad attitude towards me I will do the same, a person reflects a good attitude towards me I will do the same. ]

I think its a matter of showing a good attitude to people first not the above !

Suspended
    Thanks
    i spent a long time with a shrink...to try save my marrige...one day i asked the shrink to tell me if i was wasting my time and money...and eventuall i was told i am normal...yes then i wonder what is regarded as normal...as i have seen a distinct change and becoming somewhat of a softy...and yes i strongly believe people can change.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Jacob Zuma, Julius Malema, Robert Mugabe, Adolf Hitler, Stalin and many others thought that they are perfectly normal. There was time when it was normal to burn witches at the stake.

Even George W Bush must think that he is normal - he doesn't seem to realize that he has the IQ of an average garden variety eggplant!

Shows you hey, "normal" is defined by the society at the time.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast