Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping on it

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sleeping on it

Feeling a bit rough today. Had one of those AHA! moments at 3.00 this morning and just couldn't go back to sleep until I'd mapped it all out.

Amazing how powerful the subliminal mind is. Months of painful research distilled into a solution while sleeping on it.

Thanks
    The other night I woke up at +- 3 am and started thinking about a problem with my one wire cutter that has been keeping me busy for 2 days. I thought about it for maybe 10 minutes and then it struck me ! ................I came in the next morning , walked to the machine and within a few minutes, I solved/fixed the problem.
    And this was not the first time this has happened to me.
    So, yes.......sleeping on the problem frequently brings the solution.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Suspended
    Thanks
    my wife always complains...when i sleep on it (the wife)

so come on dave you gona keep us in suspense or is it a secret?

Thanks
    What is it about the magical hour of 3 am ??

Is it the time when you have finally stopped consciously thinking about something that your mind is then able to actually resolve a problem without your "logic" and rambling thoughts interfering ?

I was also awake at 3am a few days back. Was thinking my leg was sore. but then it probably was, as I was laying in a hospital bed recovering from surgery to cut out a lump of dead tissue and poison from my leg, after a spider bite.

But seriously, after both my kids were born, I took the night shift feeding routine for the first 12 or 13 weeks (until they slept through the night), and you'll be surprised at just how clear and simple a solution to a problem can be when there are no other distractions around and the mind has had time to empty of clutter (differs for each person from 10 seconds to a few hours). Often feeding would be around 3am and after that I would sit on the PC writing software code - did more in those next 4 hours than I would usually achieve in a week - and it was quality code.

3am ROCKS.
    Watching the ships passing by.

Thanks
    My problem is if I do wake up at 3AM with a solution to a difficulty I am having, I can't wake up the following morning to implement it.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    To be honest, I never really wake up during the night. I sleep like a log - absolutely love my sleep!

I can understand how one might come across moments of clarity when the subconscious mind is at work, though.

Thanks
    I've said this before, if you read a really boring book it occupies and supresses the concious, analytical half of the brain, the other less concious half can then concentrate on problem solving.
    It is probably the same when you sleep.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    I've said this before, if you read a really boring book it occupies and supresses the concious, analytical half of the brain, the other less concious half can then concentrate on problem solving.
    It is probably the same when you sleep.
    Wynn, the problem then is finding a more interesting book to read.

Suspended
    Thanks
    I find my best time for solving a problem is in the shower in the morning. Things happen there

Email problem
    Thanks
    It's interesting that you guys are discussing this. I am currently reading a book that is centered around the power of the "adaptive unconscious". It's the part of our brain that silently analyses all the things we see and hear and then uses that to come up with conclusions, make snap judgments and gives us that gut feeling that influences our decisions. Chances are its working at full capacity while we sleep, working out the problems that our conscious was struggling with.
    The Book is called "Blink" and it is by Malcolm Gladwell. Haven't finished with it, I'll only make a recommendation when I'm done.
    Obviously the "early adopters" among you are going to go get it.
    Let me know what you think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast