Thread: Leverage - PM's vs posts

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries

Leverage - PM's vs posts

I get PM's from newbs on a fairly regular basis asking for guidance on an issue because the person believes I should know the answer. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't know the answer, but what troubles me most is it isn't leaning into what TFSA has to offer.

Most often these are questions that should be posted on the forum rather than put to me personally - for a number of reasons:
    • Knowledge - I can absolutely guarantee that the combined knowledge of the members of the forum is far greater than mine alone.
    • Response time - I'm not always available to give a quick response.
    • Perspective - It takes many eyes to give a full perspective from all angles.
    • Time leverage - I can only give so much time to the site. If I give that time one-on-one I'm not leveraging that time to maximum potential.

I am also pretty sure I'm not the only one who ends up in this position (hence me making this post - to leverage my efforts not only for myself but the other members too).

So may I gently ask, unless there is a truly valid reason to ask a question by PM, please post the question on the forum. Rest assured that when I can get to it, I will do my best to add my answer(s) and opinions to the others I'm sure you will get if I believe I have something relevant to add.

2. Thank given for this post:

Mark Atkinson (19-Aug-11), Martinco (22-Aug-11)