Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contravening Regulations

Thanks

Question Contravening Regulations

I attach a few images one is of a contacter supplying a heating circuit apart from being able to touch the conductive metallic parts with a standard finger the supply voltage is connected to the lower terminals. The other image is of a fused supply again it can be touched with the standard finger also the live side is the lower terminals, Is this contravening the regulations SANS 10142-1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02416.JPG 
Views:	221 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	2145   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02425.JPG 
Views:	225 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	2146  

Thanks
    I would say it's not a contravention for 2 reasons, firstly it's a control panel so SANS10142 (and the COC) is only applicable for the supply cable up to and including the point of isolation. Secondly the components that you indicate as insufficient IP ratings are mounted in an enclosure which has its own IP rating and requires a 'tool' to open it (assuming it hasn't been altered by vent holes being drilled for example). Therefore these components would be considered the same IP rating as the enclosure.

Thanks
    Spot on Andy, another thing is that a 2nd, different, "tool" is required to remove the inner cover to expose the wires.

Email problem
    Thanks
    besides the enclosure ,a contactor can be connected load/supply top or bottom. would be wise to label load/supply on fuses. circuit breakers can also be reverse fed,if the manufacturer ok,s it and load/supply must be labelled.

Suspended
    Thanks
    my concern would be the thin wires connected to a 200 amp fuse...

unfortunately not know all the details about the installation...i would only be assuming things

the first thing i would be checking is the fault level to verify the cables can handle the fault level at the panel....this panel could be mounted close to a 1600 kva transfomer.

the other thing which concerns me is the fact that there are multiple cables coming off the top and bottom of the fuse holder...i can only assume that there is some type of isolator within arms reach.

the panels i have worked on which are imported from germany all have protective covers over all exposed conductive live parts even if the panel has to be opened with a key...but here in sa...this is not the case...it is just good practise to cover it...especially if it on the incoming side.

the other part which we dont see is there could be an isolator which is feeding these panels which cannot be opened unless the isolator is switched in the off position...which means that all these exposed conductors will be dead when the panel door is open...i have noticed the new isolators i have been working with dont have the hole anymore to bypass the unlock isolate feature...so you have to isolate before you can open the panel

Thanks
    I would certainly agree there may be issues with the panel that should be addressed but none of them would fall under a SANS10142-1 or a COC if the circuit supplying the panel has a t/pole isolator. This panel is fairly typical of the locally built HVACR panels and further comment from me without more photos and info would be speculation.

Email problem
    Thanks
    what difference would the wire size make with the fault level?

Suspended
    Thanks
    fault level and wire size...now this is an interesting topic...you need to do your fault level calculation at the point where the cable is to be connected then only can you determine whether or not it is capable of carrying the fault...an example i installed a 200 kw motor with a soft start...i could have used 2 x 70 mm ecc cables according to my cable size calculations ...but because of the fault level at the point of connection was higher than normal because of the transfomer feeding the panel and the distance ...i had to use a 185 mm cable...aberdaire cables has a booklet which explains this in more detail...i think this is one of the least understood parts of electrical installations...in fact at the time i had another contractor who has installed a couple of panels already on the same site to the left of the transfomer but just as close...and he used 2 x 70 mm cables...i know my installation is correctly designed and installed i have all the documentation to prove it..so i sleep well at night...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    with a standard finger
    What does this term mean?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    with a standard finger
    What does this term mean?
    Name:  finger.gif
Views: 303
Size:  3.1 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast