Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scam SMS.... again

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Scam SMS.... again

Congratulations Your Phone number has won you R250000 in the Coca-Cola Free Promo. Your winning Code No is:N2*1SA. For your cash claims, call Mrs Clara Moor: 0*350291*7

With permission I will give the full number.

As all of us can see RICA has no impact on crime at all…
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    RICA only serves to identify each sim card, nothing more.

The idea is to stop criminals from comminicating with one another with untracked sim card. (They can no longer 2 sims @ R 10 each, commit the crime and toss the sims)

This has no bearing whatsoever on the content of the communication via the phone.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    RICA is a new legislation which is amongst others is intended:

* to control cellular phone usage.

* curb organised crime

* to allow the law enforcement agents to intercept cellular phone communications if there is reasonable suspicion of crime.

* require cellular operators to keep detailed information of all their clients, as well as cellphones and SIM cards.
    Source
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    And your point is what exactly?

We all get numerous phone calls from timeshare companies telling us that we won holidays - so what?

The law cannot protect people from their own stupidity (substitute greed for stupidity)

Email problem
    Thanks
    A girl I know has this wonderful approach to "private numbers" being shown when she gets a call.

She simply doesn't answer.

"If it's important, they'll leave a message". Excellent approach, which I'll incorporate from now on.

These buggers always use hidden numbers to sell you friggin insurance or whatever they have on offer.

That's the voice call issue sorted. As for SMS's, yea, can't block those. I get so many promotional CRAP that it's actually getting annoying now. ( I don't mind the odd SMS every now & then), but it's getting out of hand now.

Thanks
    Ever since I 'RICA'd' my number I am getting these sms's
    The ones I hate are the ones that arrive at three in the morning.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    I got this SMS at 04:45 this morning, "Congrtulations, your phone no. Has won R295 000 in Blackberry Promo. Your ref No: M19. For claims call Mr. Mark Lawreance on 073 730 4201". Being a good citizen and of course wanting to get my cash (LOL) I phoned the number from a landline. "Hi, who is this speaking", "who you want talk to (in a funky accent)?", "Mr. Mark Lawrence?". "That is me, what about?". "I have received your SMS to say my number has won...", "What's your number?", "You already have it, after all, you sent me an SMS, my reference is M19". A big long discussion about how you would like your money delivered and great excitement about your "lucky" winnings. "You must purchase 3 x R200.00 Telkom prepaid call cards and SMS the numbers from the cards, your Name, Address, and Ref Number, and your winnings will be paid to you today". Yeah... right, I have IDIOT typed in BOLD letters accross my forhead. So of course I asked why I must purchase anything, esp. Telkom cards to claim my winnings and very quickly the phone went dead. Of course the fact that the SMS couldn't spell "Congratulations" or "Lawrence" wasn't a dead give away...
    Last edited by Dave S; 16-Aug-11 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Typos and additions
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    Ever since I 'RICA'd' my number I am getting these sms's
    The ones I hate are the ones that arrive at three in the morning.
    I can't say that it has been due to RICA(ing) but I also seem to detect a definite upturn in bogus and marketing SMS's since I have RICA(ed). Many of them at really odd hours.
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I just love getting scammers & sales people call me up.

I got a guy the other day wanting to demo a photocopier at my place - I said cool, you come along as long as you have Debonairs & 6 beers delivered 15 minutes before you get here. If you're going to waste my time its gotta be worth my while.

A girl tried to sell me a cell phone on contract. We talked at great length until I started asking her about the quality of the camera. I wanted to know whether the colour would be good if I took a photo of my butt. That was the end of that conversation.

An Indian girl tried to sell me a cellphone contract. I asked her where she lived and she said Durban. I asked her if you could organize me a set of mags and a car radio if I take the phone - she giggled and said she couldn't help me.

A girl tried to sell me printer cartridges. I told her we don't have printers because we run a brothel and we don't need such things. We talked about this for a bit and I told her that I am stinking rich and that I drive a big Merc and have a holiday home etc. She ended up asking me for a job as my PA

An Edgars lady tried to give me a credit card, I asked her what colour the card is and she said that it is red. I explained to her in great detail that red is not my colour and that it has to be blue. We argued about this matter for a while until she tolk me that if I wanted a ffing blue card that I should go to Standard Bank.

A holiday salesman tried to sell me a holiday. I asked him if I could put it on my credit card and if he would show it as golf membership because I don't want my wife to know that I am taking my girlfriend - he was happy to oblige.

Then there was an ADT guy that tried to sell me their services. I told him that I got an AK47 and that I will fix up anybody that sticks his head through my window. I told him that I wanted upgrade to an R5 and asked him what he thinks. We had a great discussion about the merits of an R5 vs AK47.

A insurance agent theid to sell me a medical policy. I told him that I am a waiter and that I have one missing leg - he would ensure me. I then told him that we drink heavily at work and that we tend to fall down a lot - he would still ensure me. I told him that I lost an eye when I fell down the last time - he would still ensure me. Then I told him that we get very sloshed on Saturdays and go sky diving, this is when I lost my arm - he didn't want to ensure me anymore.

...and many more..
    --
    -
    -
    I love to see how people react when you don't give them the answers they expect. Some get very angry, some go quiet, but the really good salesmen still try and they try to work around the nonsense that I speak. Its good for me because I become better at speaking crap with a straight face and its good for them because it teaches them how to deal with aholes..

10. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (16-Aug-11), Martinco (01-Sep-11), Newretailer (23-Aug-11)

Email problem
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast