Thread: JHB Metro cops

Thanks

JHB Metro cops

Now get this...........my driver is in JHB and picks up a roll of stainless steel on the back of our company pickup.
    He gets pulled over by the JMPD and after inspecting for the usual the cop wants to know where the fire extinguisher is because the load that he is transporting is a fire hazard ! They then refused him to continue his trip till he gets a fire extinguisher but after some "negotiations" let him go. ( No fine )

Now I ask you.......stainless steel is a fire hazard ! Man........how stupid must a person be to be employed as a metro cop ?

OR, he simply wanted to get a few rands from the driver to buy a cool drink.
    This morning I tried to get the email address of Wayne Minnaar from JMPD but as you might guess......that is not possible !
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    lol, did it come straight of the mill & still have a red glow maybe

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I guess that's why one of my staff left to become a traffic cop at less than half the salary I was paying him - the tax free perks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinco View Post
    Now I ask you.......stainless steel is a fire hazard ! Man........how stupid must a person be to be employed as a metro cop ?

OR, he simply wanted to get a few rands from the driver to buy a cool drink.
    This morning I tried to get the email address of Wayne Minnaar from JMPD but as you might guess......that is not possible !
    Martin the anti corruption hotline is 0800 002 587.
    We once had a fire "inspection" and were written up for a fire hazard because we store paper. So I got hold of the paper suppliers and was told paper is not a fire hazard as it is stored flat and no air can get between the sheets to combust. No one ever followed up, what we think caused it was 2 weeks prior to that we had a strange phone call asking to service our fire extinguishers.
    Now when we the call to service them we say it was done about 3 months ago.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

5. Thanks given for this post:

Martinco (11-Aug-11)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    Martin the anti corruption hotline is 0800 002 587.
    Thanks Ian
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Gold Member
    Thanks
    I would have instructed him to try and burn it. I'd also have given 10111 a call. Although they have their issues, at least they're not glorified debt collectors. Metro would have had a tough time explaining his reasoning.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Negotiations? Did he accept a bribe?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinco View Post
    ... after some "negotiations" let him go. ( No fine )
    As completely wrong as this whole scenario is, you can't fart against thunder. You feel outraged and you want to protest and report this cop to the highest authority and have him locked up, but the truth is it happens everyday to a lot of businesses, and I don't see how it will stop anytime soon. Delivery vehicles and trucks are prime targets. If it's not their weight, it's fire extinguishers, or it's whatever the cop wants to dish up. I've even heard of one incident where the cop, since he couldn't find anything else wrong, ripped the license disc off and refused to hand it back until the "cash fine" was paid. Seriously, how do you fight it? It's a wave the size of a tsunami!

Part of me have actually started accepting it as a fact of life here in SA ... That's equally wrong, I know.

Thanks
    I've never experienced a corrupt official of any sort including police. I've only been stopped twice in the last ten years but I've never been coerced or been suggested to pay a bribe. The only time I experienced any corruption was about 15 years ago when we did several contracts for a private hospital and the manager we dealt with suggested if we wanted to get preferential treatment in future we should budget for an extra amount in our quotes that would be his 'finders fee'. We politely declined. This was a corporate run business thought not a government entity.